• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI 790GX Boot issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

ok over night my pc decided it took a nap and wont wake up... I got a led boot code of 8. and nothing, bios doenst show up or anything.. Anyone got a idea what it might be?
I got no screen on the monitor, nothing....

that boot code doesnt list in the manaul for the mother board at all.

Hardly see those symptoms...

that boot code doesnt list in the manaul for the mother board at all.

That 8 on Leds is not a valid code for a DFI motherboard and why it is not listed in manual for the board. Most of the time if happened with new boards just as they were being setup. The few that I ever saw doing it after initial setup was usually a board problem, but a few users got up and going again by removing the ram and any add-in cards plugged into the board and leaving the battery out overnite. Replace all parts next day. If that did not fix the problem then RMA usually was the only fix.

oh really, well this isnt a new build... its been running solid for about a yr & half with no problems....ill give that a try and see if it helps..... wonder if it still under ram status?

Well...

My avatar/title says DFI Staff but that is years old. I have tried to remove same in user control panel but cannot. That title was put there 5 years ago. I no longer have any contact at all with DFI engineers. Just try and help from what I remember of the 'old days'.

LINK >> These are the contact points for DFI currently as I understand it. You will see ITOX LLC listed for the Usa and is now on east coast and no longer at DFI on the west coast as it was for years.

I have seen users in this forum that have gotten an rma completed thru the NJ branch of ITOX for DFI. Whether you are still within an RMA time frame is unknown to me. Check with DFI offices at ITOX if it comes down to that point in time.

ok just for info as i had to try, I took out the battery and reset the cmos and now get a 88 code, but once I turn it off and try and reboot get the 8. code again....

sucks as i loved this setup..... but it looks dead!

ok just for info as i had to try, I took out the battery and reset the cmos and now get a 88 code, but once I turn it off and try and reboot get the 8. code again....

sucks as i loved this setup..... but it looks dead!

I have seen a few times where a dead/dying cpu could cause what you now describe, but there is no assurance the cpu is the problem. I used to keep a cpu spare for such testing. Because of the 88 / 8 code which is not a real code but is occurring almost the instant the board should begin booting...well you just don't really get a true clue.

well the 88 code is a code for my board, calls for dead north bridge. I went out a picked up a cheap board to replace it with for the time bieng so ill know here today if it was the issue or not.

ok replaced the mother board and got her to fire up but my windows got corrupt some how.... trying to fix it, keeps booting into start up repair =(

Back