• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 4.0GHz Failure Unstable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MyBlaster

Registered
My 6 month old rig, which I believe I first overclocked back in November, has been giving me some problems lately. I'm a bit nervous of the health of my internal components due to BSOD's I've been getting over the past few days.

Please bare with this long read.

I've been getting BSODs lately and Windows 7 Ult (64bit) tells me it's hardware related. The first time it happened recently, I was in an idle Skype call and i got the BSOD. It happened a second time while I was on Skype about two days later so I got worried. The first thing I did was run a stability test on Intel Burn Test on Maximum, which came back stable. Due to my H70 seemingly not working as good as it's supposed to, I was still on edge because my temps during the test were around 67 - 74 degrees. After the test, the next day I rearranged the two H70 fans and pump, case fan that is connected to my motherboard, the case fan was fine. The two H70 fans were formerly plugged into a two-to-one adapter that allowed me to stick both in one fan slot on my mobo, but in splitting them apart one of them was blowing well below it's 2K rpm speed I've gotten in the past (more below).

*PC Probe II Temps*
Even after the rearrangement of my fans the temps were the same.
On stress test around 67-74 (IBT-Maximum and Prime95 blend) idle 32 - 39 (depending if my room window is open with decent airflow)

So I'm still messing around with my rig, knowing that I need new H70 fans, but I'm trying to assure myself that my temps are safe enough to use my rig without worrying about damaging components. I run more Prime95s and I get similar load temps and upper 30 idles.

Here is what happened today: I did MemTest 3.40 on my ram and got 8 passes after about 4 1/2 hours. I ran Prime95 In-place large FFT for the first time and I got to a max of about 75 after maybe 12mins before my computer BSOD'd.

My PSU Volts shown by PC Probe II usually fluctuate depending if I'm on load or idle.
Vcore 1.24
3.3v 3.28 - 3.30
5v 5.02 - 5.07
12 12-25 - 12.42

This is the template I used for my i7 OC (i7 930 W/ Hyperthreading). Link My memory is currently underclocked below just below that speed show in the template, at around 1156.
here is my part of my rig:
Mobo: Asus P6x58D-E
CPU: i7 930 OC 4.Ghz
Memory: Corsair VS2GB1333D3 (2 X 2GB) Stock Speed 1333mhz
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP (600 Watt)
EVGA GTX 460 768mb OC CC-850 MC-2000

I have the logs for my BSOD but I'm not sure exactly what I should post.

Please help, thanks for reading.

Note: While I was running Prime95 today before the BSOD, Real Temps GT showed my cores at around 80-83 while PC Probe II was around 73-75.

IGNORE MY OLD SIGNATURE. Thanks

Last edited:
try bumping up cpu voltage bit by bit, if its not stable by 1.4v then i would asume your chip just isnt ment to OC. 1.24v for 4ghz oc might be a little low, i had to bump up to 1.41v to get 4ghz stable, and even a little more ,1.5 to get 4.5ghz rock solid stable.

Your temps seem to look fine, i have about the same load temps with a little higher idle temps so your all good there.

one thing you could try if you want low volts with 4ghz is turn HT off, most apps and games do not need 8 threads. I leave it on, but HT off greatly reduces power consumption which results in less heat output as well :D

try bumping up cpu voltage bit by bit, if its not stable by 1.4v then i would asume your chip just isnt ment to OC. 1.24v for 4ghz oc might be a little low, i had to bump up to 1.41v to get 4ghz stable, and even a little more ,1.5 to get 4.5ghz rock solid stable.

Your temps seem to look fine, i have about the same load temps with a little higher idle temps so your all good there.

one thing you could try if you want low volts with 4ghz is turn HT off, most apps and games do not need 8 threads. I leave it on, but HT off greatly reduces power consumption which results in less heat output as well :D

1.4 on Vcore seems a bit high, higher than I want to be because I'm relatively new to the PC realm. I'm not even sure how to turn hyperthreading off. By setting the multiplier to 20 instead of 21?

Your temps are a bit high unless you have a high ambient temp like I do during summer, in which case they sit about right. Bump up your voltage to 1.3v

My System is perfectly stable at 4ghz flat with 1.3v 191x21. I leave my RAM just below spec in terms of mhz. Don't forget to add a little voltage to QPI and all that.. I've got a list of my exact settings somewhere... Lol.

Also why are you running 2x2GB of ram on a tri-channel based system? Just curious... Lol.

EDIT: After looking at that link, he must've got lucky.. 1.25v at 4ghz with HT on is nuts lol. Also i personally prefer to set the QPI to the lowest multiplier myself, rather than leaving it on auto

Your temps are a bit high unless you have a high ambient temp like I do during summer, in which case they sit about right. Bump up your voltage to 1.3v

My System is perfectly stable at 4ghz flat with 1.3v 191x21. I leave my RAM just below spec in terms of mhz. Don't forget to add a little voltage to QPI and all that.. I've got a list of my exact settings somewhere... Lol.

Also why are you running 2x2GB of ram on a tri-channel based system? Just curious... Lol.

EDIT: After looking at that link, he must've got lucky.. 1.25v at 4ghz with HT on is nuts lol. Also i personally prefer to set the QPI to the lowest multiplier myself, rather than leaving it on auto

Excuse my noob on this one but, when I bought my PC I only had enough money for two sticks of ram. And what you mean by lucky? as in my vcore was too low? just curious and thanks.

Currently I'm running the i7 930 w/o HT, using the template listed on the original link as well. Let me know what you guys think. I just did a short 5 run IBT on Maximum and passed.

IBT is good for quick dirty testing and to check temps, but it's not a stability test by any means (unless you run it 1000 times.. but Prime95 is better).

You should be able to run your 930 at 4ghz with HT perfectly fine.. 1.25v is too low in my opinion. Otherwise, the settings the person had on the site are almost identical to mine. Cept at 4ghz I run 1.3v.

Buy another stick of RAM lol. Or get a new 3x2 set.. Whatever lol.

Anyways, 1.3v on the vcore with HT on should work fine.. Run Prime95 for 8 hours before you confirm anything..

IBT is good for quick dirty testing and to check temps, but it's not a stability test by any means (unless you run it 1000 times.. but Prime95 is better).

You should be able to run your 930 at 4ghz with HT perfectly fine.. 1.25v is too low in my opinion. Otherwise, the settings the person had on the site are almost identical to mine. Cept at 4ghz I run 1.3v.

Buy another stick of RAM lol. Or get a new 3x2 set.. Whatever lol.

Anyways, 1.3v on the vcore with HT on should work fine.. Run Prime95 for 8 hours before you confirm anything..

In addition to bumping the vcore to 1.3 for HT on 4.0ghz, is there anything else I should bump? if so how much? and I'll invest in another stick of ram, hopefully my other ram is still good.

I checked my settings...

Here's my basic stuff for 4ghz

21x191
1.3 Vcore
1531 mhz on RAM
Uncore 3063
QPI 6893

PLL is 1.8817
QPI/DRAM 1.35v (Might be a bit high.. )
IOH Voltage 1.2
IOH PCIE auto
ICH Volt 1.2
ICH PCIE auto

All the usual power saving features are off.

I checked my settings...

Here's my basic stuff for 4ghz

21x191
1.3 Vcore
1531 mhz on RAM
Uncore 3063
QPI 6893

PLL is 1.8817
QPI/DRAM 1.35v (Might be a bit high.. )
IOH Voltage 1.2
IOH PCIE auto
ICH Volt 1.2
ICH PCIE auto

All the usual power saving features are off.

thanks man im currently running prime95 to see if my same settings are stable without HT and a slight QPI DRAM voltage boost to around 1.23, about a half hour in so far

I don't suggest doing anything else (including typing on this forum) whilst you're running Prime95 :p. But goodluck and let us know your results!

Up until yesterday, I had pretty much the same set up you do... 930, h70, p6x58d-e :) oh and i built that in november also :D

anyways, I was not able to get a stable system at 4 GHz without putting 1.35 V for vcore. temps were in the high 70's... so I'd do what the others have already suggested and up the vcore a bit more.

you can also try different combinations for the cpu multiplier and bclock. mine was stable up to 222 bclk so I had a few different combinations to do. ended up doing 20x200 because that allowed my ram to run at 1603MHz ... very close to rated spec

i also notice you never mentioned anything about the DRAM voltage. did you manually set them to the rated spec?

I don't suggest doing anything else (including typing on this forum) whilst you're running Prime95 :p. But goodluck and let us know your results!

ok so I guess I'm gonna get off facebook twitter and youtube while I'm at it lol, ok im gone, but i doubt i'm gonna be able to hold off not using my computer for too long, I have papers to type

Prime95, after 12hours and 45mins was stable at my same settings without HT. I refuse to stress test anymore, it's pointless imo

If you have no need for HT then I guess leave it where it's at. I personally prefer 3.6ghz with HT than 4ghz without. But that's just me.. But I'm a busy-body so meh lol. Whatever works dude. If you're happy with where it's at now, leave it and just hope it doesn't BSOD again :p.

i would just bump vcore a bit, check your other voltages as well dimm etc, you might have to nudge a point on each, my chip took a little all around before it got stable

oops sorry early morning read congrats

If you have no need for HT then I guess leave it where it's at. I personally prefer 3.6ghz with HT than 4ghz without. But that's just me.. But I'm a busy-body so meh lol. Whatever works dude. If you're happy with where it's at now, leave it and just hope it doesn't BSOD again :p.

Intel Burn Test is better with testing core stability. I suggest 40 passes and call it a day, for now.

Back