• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone else gambled on the Biostar TP67B+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wyno

Just wondering if anyone else has gambled on this board. I have mine and have had decent luck for the price but I seem to have hit a wall at 4.4 that I can't get passed. So if you have this board chime in with your results.

Elaborate on what you cant get past please...

System specs and current settings would be incredibly helpful. :)

Biostar TP67B+
Corsair XMS 2x4gb 9 9 9 24 1T 1600
All voltages left at auto except vcore
Vcore set at 1.38 in bios but cpuz shows unloaded at 1.344 and loaded it bounces from 1.284-1.292. LLC is enabled
Turbo is off

I think it might have something to do with voltage regulation on the board. I can raise it higher in bios and get the vcore higher but there is such a difference in setting and actual and then load that it makes me wonder.

right now I am backing the voltage down at 44 multi just to see how low I can get it stable at. Actual right now and testing is 1.272. I have set the vcore to 1.4 in the bios and tried 45 46 47 multi and it's a no go. I can raise bclock up to 101 at 44 multi and anything higher wont boot into windows. I have not tried lowering multi down to test bclock more. Not worried about bclock actually.

One last thing. I have noticed in cpuz that if I use IBT for a quick test that the multi will fluctuate from 40-44, but I can fold and it will stay at 44. Temps while testing do not get above 64c.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

You are getting that much vdroop WITH LLC enabled?

Sounds like you need more vcore in that case.

Looks like time for more vcore.
Maybe a touch more vtt, 1.1 to 1.15 seems to have good effects.

Ya I check to make sure LLC is enabled every time I go into the bios. It droops alot. Actually default settings hace LLC enabled. Just for grins I may disable it to see if there is a difference.

I have poor case cooling so I don't really want to raise the vcore much from where I am at because of heat. I will bump the vtt up a notch and set it manually just to see if it makes a difference.

What is the highest safe vcore for SB and what temps do you guys reccomend?

Here is a list of what I have done.

Increased vtt to 1.15- No effect but I left it
Increased vcore to 1.5 and actual in windows was 1.46 no load
in creased multi to 45 and no go. Gets stuck at the cursor right before the windows startup splash.
Disabled multi and went for turbo OC. Set each core to 45 and rebooted. This gets me to the actual splash load screen but freezes after the logo completes and it just sits there. Tried multi of 46 47 and 48. All get me through the splash but hangs upon logo completion.

Dropped the multi to 44 and raised bclock to 101 and booted into windows. Upped the bclock to 102 and once again got the logo completed and it hangs. Dropped the multi to 43 and got into windows at 102 bclock but even though I have settings to 43 multi it locks into a 34 max multi in windows and will not go higher. Drop the bclock back and all is well again.

So what do the pros have to say? I messed with it for the last hour. No matter what I try I cannot get into windows over 4.44 .

True, but thats the first setup I have seen that cant break 4.5Ghz...

Since you are seeing splash screens, its not a multi issue, but a voltage issue. It may be that board has poor regulation...

What PSU do you have?

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=1907

Thats my power supply.

Well locking the the multi at 45 would stop right before the splash screen and sit at a cursor. Disabling that feature and going with turbo got me into the splash screen. I'm leaning toward regulation issues since it droops so hard even with LLC enabled. I can watch cpuz and watch it drop currently to 1.274 then back up to 1.28 then back up to 1.292 folding then back to 1.28 and occasionaly back to 1.27.

Im open to try other things if you have any more ideas.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=1907

Thats my power supply.

Well locking the the multi at 45 would stop right before the splash screen and sit at a cursor. Disabling that feature and going with turbo got me into the splash screen. I'm leaning toward regulation issues since it droops so hard even with LLC enabled. I can watch cpuz and watch it drop currently to 1.274 then back up to 1.28 then back up to 1.292 folding then back to 1.28 and occasionaly back to 1.27.

Im open to try other things if you have any more ideas.

Maybe set your RAM voltages manually too.

Wasn't even thinking about ram voltages. I will play with it some more later today when I get some time. Ill report back with my findings.

Any other ideas?

So I did everything I can think of. I still get the same results. Manually lock the multi at 45 and up and it stops at cursor right before splash screen. If I let turbo do its thing(45x up to 50x) I get through the splash and it locks up. Manually set ram timings and all voltages.
vtt 1.1-1.25
vcore up to 1.55 manually
IOH up to 1.2
LLC enabled
Ram has been set on auto and all manual multis

No matter what I throw at it, it gives me the same results. Rock solid at 44 multi set manually or with turbo. Vcore at 1.26 in bios and its rock solid.

So is it possible that the onboard sata port that my ssd is in may be an issue? Or maybe one of my peripherals. I have 1 sata 6 ssd(Crucial C300), 1 f4 2 tb drive and a sata BD drive. Vid card is a Galaxy GTX 460 768.

Looking for ideas here. I looked at the reviews on the egg and there others that have been to 5ghz, but there is also one that is having the same problem I am being stuck at 44x.

Ya, well Im about to ungamble and get a P8P67 or a UD4. Might move this board to my WHS and get a 2400 for it

It came with the most recent bios. Cuda mentioned about the LLC actually being disabled when it says enabled. I am going to try that in the morning over coffee

I have the TP67B+ and although it has a few quirks, you can work around them:

1. I was having the same boot problems with CPU VCore LoadLine enabled. Disable it. It's clearly broken or, as you noted, the values are possibly reversed.

2. In order to get past 44 multi (1.35V+) without throttling, you have to bump up CPU Core Current (Amp), Power Limit 1 Value, and Power Limit 2 Value. IIRC, I have Core Current at 120, Power Limit 1 at 300 and Power Limit 2 at 300. I'm stable at 4.7 GHz with 1.368V under load (in CPU-Z) with no throttling.

3. It's possible to enable a fixed multiplier with power-saving features even though the BIOS makes it look impossible. The trick is to set your multipler in Fixed Ratio then disable Fixed Ratio so the value is grayed out. Now enable the power-saving features (C1E and EIST). Even though the multiplier is grayed out, the board will still use it AND lower the multi for you at IDLE.

4. Stick with a Fixed Mode VCore even though it will maintain higher VCore levels at idle. In my experience, SPEC, Auto, and Offset modes will all run dangerous (SCARY) VCore through your CPU under load. I'm not joking here. I saw 1.5xV once when experimenting with Offset Mode (no negative values available!) and consistently saw 1.45V+ with the other modes when over 4.5 GHz. Your board will still drop about 0.025V when not under load in Fixed Mode so it's not so bad.

5. I haven't had much luck with S3 sleep. It works fine if I wake it up the same day I put it to sleep, but if I leave it asleep overnight, I have problems waking it up.

All in all, I like this board more than the MSI P67S-C43 I had before.

Last edited:
Well I set my setting to what you have in your post and I get same results. If I enable the multi manually over 44 it wont even get to the splash screen. If I leave it at 34 and disable it and set the Turbo to anything 45 and over I get through the splash and it freezes right there.

Is there any way I could get you to take a couple pictures of your O.N.E Page and so I can see all of your settings there. Maybe there is one setting that has me off somewhere.
I also noticed you have a 2500K. Is it possible that HT is messing this up?

Is there any way I could get you to take a couple pictures of your O.N.E Page and so I can see all of your settings there. Maybe there is one setting that has me off somewhere.

Sure. I'll throw up some pics this evening when I get home or this weekend.

I also noticed you have a 2500K. Is it possible that HT is messing this up?

I doubt it but I think you can turn off HT to check. Don't know if the option is there or not.

Back