• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PeterPwned

Hi,

I bought an HD 5970 Toxic some time ago. Now I have the following problems with the card:

1. It cannot handle Eyefinity mode. I can play with one screen and nice visuals but with three 1080p screens I get 30-40 fps with jagged edges. I bought these screens for a reason and I am not happy.
2. Sometimes objects pop up in the distance (delayed rendering?) and it creeps me out. Plant here, tree there...
3. There are well-known issues with the image quality produced by the card including microstuttering.
4. Drivers are suboptimal and quality settings are game dependent - I do not desire to mess with settings in catalyst control center every single time I start a game, nor do I enjoy opening up msi afterburner to get that overclock I need for a smooth experience (GPU flashing failed...).

While I believe I can manage with this card for some more time I am looking for alternatives, since I would like to actually try eyefinity and play Crysis 2 without graphical errors. Buying a 580 or 590 now doesn't seem like such a great idea, since that is not really a major improvement, so I would like to know what and when GPU generations are likely to be released.

I am interested in any kind of speculation, be it based on reliable sources or just your general gut feeling.

Cheers,
Mark

Well, there is always the newly released 6990 :p. Does Eyefinity with up to six monitors at once.:comp: Its 700$ at Newegg though.

Meh. Same thing basically. "Hey look its so awesome we're so awesome buy this" and "Oh look its got so many monitor outputs" - not gonna fall for that again :D Btw check the AMD site I just saw this "AMD 6990 has arrived: Faster than the worlds fastest graphic card. We should know. We built that too." hahaha (http://sites.amd.com/us/game/Pages/game-home.aspx)

In all seriousness though, the 6990 is basically the same as the 590, which I had stated above I don't want. They seize to amaze me...

In all seriousness though, the 6990 is basically the same as the 590, which I had stated above I don't want. They seize to amaze me...

:shrug: Hard for me to tell the difference, they all look good to me :p
1hnL

Back