• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd MFT issues and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devnulllore

Registered
Ok, I have 2 160gig SataII drives in my system. Each is partitioned into 2 partitions. The first partition on my second drive is for games only. Right now I only have one game on there (13 gigs out of 74.5) and the MFT zone is HUGE, almost half the drive size and I have not changed Windows default size setting. By comparison the MFT zone on my boot drive is tiny. Is there anyway to shrink this or move it to the end of the drive so my game data is contiguous at the front of the drive?

Also would I gain any performance from reformatting that partition as a FAT partition rather than NTFS?

Also would it do the game data any good to reformat the drive, defrag with Perfectdisk in normal and boot time mode then reinstall the game?

Thanks,

Joe

NM Crap Cleaner reclaimed the unused portion (above the default 12.5%) of that MFT zone. It's bloated size is normal now.

Joe

Back