• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 450W PSU good enough for this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weaver

Registered
I'm currently working on this PC from Gateway to make it better storage system
and to watch 1080p videos smoothly.

Case: Xigmatek Utgard Mesh
CPU: Phenom 9550
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: DDR2 6GB (2GB x2 & 1GB x2)
GPU: Planning to upgrade current one to HD 4850
HDD: 4 1-3TB HDDs in 3 x 5.25" to 4 x 3.5" Backplane
Case Fans: LED 170mm x1, 120mm x5

Is 450W PSU good enough for this build?

In my opnion, you would need 700W....You have lot's of fan, lot's of HDD, an aftermarket cpu cooler, a video card. You can try to find a 600W but 450W is definetaly not enough
Thats an incorrect opinion.

That rig with a QUALITY 450W PSU (Corsair comes to mind) will work just fine.

Fans are nothing (unless they are extremely high speed), and HDD's only take about 10- 12W or so on spinup and less just working.

That antec calc came from: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Don't use those calculators as absolutes. They're often misleading. E.g it told me my system wouldn't realistically run 2x my current card (I'm not running it but..), but my PSU is a decent one, and it'd easily be able to run 2x HD5850s with my CPU OC'd no prob.

Take it with a grain of salt :p.

But I'd say with a HD4850, and that older Phenom, you'll need more juice than 450, especially with all the add ons. I'd say 550 should suffice, if it's a decent PSU. (80%+ efficiency). I've got a Antec True Power Trio 550W in my old rig running a X3 720 with 2 hdds, bunch of fans, and a HD4870, and it's still going strong, and the PSU is about 4 years old now. If the 450W PSU is a really good one, it should be ok (though I wouldn't personally), but if it's a no-name or cheapo low-end one, I'd say 550W+

Efficiency has nothing to do with this. A 450W PSU is a 450W PSU. For example, if I have a 500W PSU, it doesnt put out 400W b/c its 80% efficient. It would take 600W from the wall on a 500W actual load. ;)

450W from a quality PSU will be fine (Corsair 450VX for example). The 4850 is what a 125W card? The CPU is 125W. Lets say 200W if he overclocks, so thats 325W if both the CPU and GPU are running full tilt (when does that happen?). Fans and HDD's are nothing outside of spinup.

The key here is a QUALITY PSU. That rig would run with a 30A 12v rail.

In my opnion, you would need 700W....You have lot's of fan, lot's of HDD, an aftermarket cpu cooler, a video card. You can try to find a 600W but 450W is definetaly not enough

That's not even close to accurate. His rig would be fine with a good quality 300w PSU.

my bro is now running i7 [email protected], 12GB RAM, 3hdd+ and HD5850 on 450W chieftec psu ( 2x 20A 12V rails ... ), so far no problems for a month, all voltages stable etc
I wouldn't buy anything under 450W for quad core and gfx like HD4890.

Thank you all for your replies! It helped me alot =)
I've choose to get Corsair CX500.

Back