• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2TB Samsung F4 (Mini Review)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Just got the drive the other day and haven't fully tested it out yet but at least its formated and ready to toy with. Its quiet fast surprisingly and considering its in a 3 Bay Removable rack in my case with another HDD it runs cool. Highest temp I've gotten it up to was 26C, and sits around 24C normally. Not bad at all in my book.

As well its fast. Its considerably faster than even that of my 640Gig WD Black drive. While thats older we can really see how platter densities really help out with drives now especially even running at slower speeds 5400RPM vs 7200RPM.

Attached is a few images.

So far so good, excited about this drive for my backup purposes. Can't wait to really put it into use after a full sector test on the drive to make sure nothing is bad.

Attachments

• Samsung F4 2TB ATTO Bench.jpg
    Samsung F4 2TB ATTO Bench.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 500
  • Samsung F4 2TB HDTune Reads.jpg
    Samsung F4 2TB HDTune Reads.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 472
  • Samsung F4 2TB HDTune Access Times.jpg
    Samsung F4 2TB HDTune Access Times.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 485
Great drives, I have 5 and have only had one issue with them, the really annoying spin down time which seems to be only a few minutes. Once they spin down they take a good 10 seconds to spin back up to access any data.

Not a problem for backup, but as a storage drive mapped on a network it was bothersome having to wait 10-15 seconds to get my movie lists to load up on my HTPC

Even as a storage drive those speeds are wonderful. Only downside is the access time, comparing that to a SSD which is well slow :) At least from what I've experienced with it. And the heat, or lack luster amount of heat this puts out is wonderful even in a tight confined space.

Yes the speeds are great for a "green" drive.

On my setup, transferring large files from drive to drive bursts at about 125-150MB/s, by 5gb I am at about 100MB/s, then it slowly drops off a little more but never goes under 90MB/s

I also 70-80MB/s over 100ft of Cat6 on my gigabit network:)

Last edited:
Back