• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 Pro Multiple Computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Folks:

I just bought a student version upgrade of Windows 7 Professional 32 & 64 bit.

Currently I have three computers. One with Vista ultimate and two with windows XP. I also have the three keys that each OS running on them now came with.

Can I use the Win 7 upgrade disk I just bought to install Win 7 on each computer using the keys I have for each OS?

On one of the three computers I'd like to install the 64 bit version.

I'm confused on this and want to make sure that if I can only install this on one computer I want to make sure it's the correct one.

Legally, the "single" license you bought is for "single" computer only.

Installing it to 2nd computer even it works is considered breaking the agreement you've agreed when you bought it, simple as that.

You need to buy 2 more licenses.

And remember, win7 upgrade needs to see a previous OS version installed or the key won't work and MS won't help.

The only way 1 key could ever be used would be if you were a volume license subscriber of Microsoft. And you'd get that key from Microsoft themselves.

You can, in reality, use the same key over and over and over. I'm not going to specify how, because that's probably against the rules and it would technically be a violation of your licensing agreement if you did so.

So, like I said, what you said is technically true. In reality, though, you can play pretty fast and loose with that key. If you're so inclined.

because that's probably against the rules and it would technically be a violation of your licensing agreement if you did so.
This is exactly correct, which means we cannot discuss this topic here at all. So, for the scope of this thread, your original statement is incorrect. You can use the key once, or how many your license allows.

OP: Did you get the 3 pack upgrade? If so, you can use the same key on each station.

Back