• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about tri-channel + f@h

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Hey guys, so last night dimm 3 on my board let go. To boot in triple channel, the book says to use 1,3+5, wich is about right because it will not even post if you use 2,4,+6, but you could (at one time) populate all 6 dimms and it would run fine.

Anyways, back to my question.. How does triple channel ram affect f@h performance? Running some everest in dual channel mode, I see my reads, writes, and bandwidth are the same as before, and my latency is waay lower, hasnt been this low for me since my old sandy 3700+ back in the day :)

Before on p6900s I would run them at around 20-22min tpf, useing the machine for internetting and stuff. But now with the same numbers as I had before, and even lower latency, my tpf has gone from 20-22 mins, to 24-25mins just letting the machine work.. How can that be?

Edit:

It works out to about a 12-14k ppd loss, so I am going to pull the plug on this operation until my new board arrives :rain:

Last edited:
That sounds about right to me, I tested difference between dual 2.6 i7's in dual channel at 1066MHz ram and 1066MHz ram in tri channel. It was a gain of about 15000ppd.

Sucks that your slot died, any idea how?

I have no idea, but I ran it in dual channel for most of the day. At around 8pm I decided to muck around again.. Not sure how or why, but the 3rd channel is working again. It ran all night no problems, I woke up to find the machine still working, and was 25% done the wu :)

The reason i asked is, when i have ran into this before it has always been that the cooler was tightened down too much. The board would warp just enough that some, one, two whatever pins would loose contact with processor and walla, channel no longer showing.......All i would have to do was loosen it abit. Problem solved.

Surprisingly enough this never happened with my Biostar X58 boards, but did with Asus, Gigabyte and EVGA......In my case the cooler in question was the Thermalright Venomous X.

Thats interesting.. I would have never thought that! Coincedentally, I did flip my cooler around, but its as tight as it goes.. Hmm. Unfortunately I have to go to work right away, so I cant poke around..

But hey since we are here.. Yesterday when I did run in dual channel, in everst my bandwidth was nearly identical to triple channel, but my latency went waaay down, into the mid to high 30s.. now that its back to triple, its back in the low 40s, does that seem backwards to you? I did get lower performance in f@h in dualchannel tho.

Just throwing it out there, may or may not have anything to do with what is happening to you. ;)

I did at one point have a NH-D14, but sold it before i had a chance to try it. Therefore i am not familiar with it's mounting system. :shrug:

As for my experiences with the Venomous X, i will accept full responsibility. When installing them i was (intentionally) setting them to their full 70 lbs pressure from the get go........Like i said though, even with the full 70 lbs pressure the Biostar X58 boards never had that problem. So there are alot of factors to consider.

beerbang.gif

I really like the Noctua mount, its awsome :)

Im just going to chaulk it up to yet another weird quirk with my board :D

I really had a great time running in dual channel tho, it made ocing that dam board an enjoyable experience, I havent been down into the 38ns range since a64 and fast ddr1

Okay, wow. So it was the Noctua mount putting on too much pressure. All day yesterday, and part of today I fought with the frikkin thing trying all sorts of stuff to no avail. Its a good thing I didnt sell my ultra120 ext. like I was going too.. I slapped it back on, strapped my loud fans to it and let er rip and shes doing it!

Its so effin noisy again, ugh I hate it. Temps @ 4200 are actually better then with the Noctua.

:bang head

yea i had a similar problem on my asus board in my htpc it had ran the stock cooler on a c2d for years and it wouldnt turn on one day and so i messed with it for hours and finally pulled the mobo out and it was warped horribad! like idk how the socket was still soldered to the board but i just undid the stock cooler and only tightened the cooler down one click and zoom she booted right up lol
also put some rubber spacers behind it to keep it from doing it while its screwed down :)

Back