• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

on board V's sound card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deweylee

Registered
Ello again. I'm currently useing the on board sound from my GigaByte x58a-ud3r ,and a 2.1 speaker system. Q;Is it true that a soundcard would be superior to the onboard set up ? Also thinkin i'll up grade to 5.1 speaker sys first then buy a quality soundcard later,Considering that this onboard sys has 5.1 availible,,,, is that a logical step ?Or should I just order both card n speakers? Used mostly for gaming......Thanks! Lee

I would suggest grabbing the speakers first and upgrading to a dedicated sound card later if you find the output to be poor quality.

What Harpley said. Speakers first, But get a decent set.. If you get a crappy set then the Sound card Later on won't even be worth it!

Many good mobos have Digital Optical out. I use that to my system. I think it works fine unless your a big audiophile, then a great (not cheap) sound card is good. Even the digital optical out is supposed to be good if the amp has an input for it. Not as good as a optical out on a $200 card, but decent.

You pros, please let me know if I'm wrong here, please.

It really depends on what your sending the signal to. If your using the stereo out mini RCA jacks from the mobo to an amp and speakers under $200, then your prolly just fine, not gonna get a lot of benefit.

Lots of ways to go. There are members here with TONS of money in just a stereo amp and TWO speakers.

And ones like me. 5.1 Computer speakers that use the optical out to the speakers (Logitech 5000).

Nuff for me.

Really matters on your level of needs.

I don't mean to be a d******g- but I REALLY wish people would stop asking 'is a soundcard better than onboard'.

Edited. You will have a PM inbound shortly. Read it carefully.

RT

If your motherboard was $200 and a soundcard is $200 how can that soundcard not be better?

Some people can't tell. I find that terrifying as even the timing of onboard is horribly off, but sound is subjective more than video is. If you're getting 40 frames per second, that's all there is to it, and it can't be disputed.

Without very expensive testing equipment, you're not able to quantify sound quality as easily.

But yes, soundcard is better. Obviously this doesn't apply to trash $40 sound cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back