• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU will be blocked??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sparwa

Registered
Hello!
I'm going to buy a new PSU so I can use the GTX 460 gainward. But when I looked into my case, it seems like some thin small metal parts are blocking the PSU if it's over 15 cm width?

And I wanted to buy Chieftec Super Series, which is 15,4 cm in width...
So if I can't buy a PSU larger than 15x15, could you please recommend a PSU of these:
http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?bn=10061&mfr=&filter=A00526.500-699.
I want a silent and effective PSU. I've alreday been looking on Corsair 650W HX but it's kinda expensive. Is there another PSU as good as Corsair HX which is cheaper??

Sorry for bad english was in a rush :rolleyes:

Thanks!.

PS: My comp is an acer aspire m5811: http://www.acersupport.com/acerpanam/Manuals/acer/2009/ServiceGuides/SG_Aspire_M5811_Book_112509.pdf

Did that PSU come with the case? If so, the newer ones probably wont fit without some modifications to the metal :)

Any of your aftermarket cases will accomidate the newer ATX PSU's so I would go with a Corsair... you don't really want to get an el-cheapo PSU, you will regret it.

I wouldn't worry about the one you have circled on the left side, as those dimensions are standard. The length however might be a problem unless you remove the tab circled on the right. I can't really see it in your pic, but it serves no purpose in terms of supporting the psu. The 4 screws holding the psu to the case, are more than enough.

Looks like a dell or hp or something.. those things are used like retention brackets, but they don't actually hold the psu in place.. just from shifting around.. dremel, wipe, done!

But do you think modular is important in my case? It's an original acer manufactor case..

Thats up to you really... Do you like it neat? Go modular. Do you not care, dont go modular. Can/do you want to afford spending more for a modular PSU? Is airflwo an issue in your case?

I cant tell you if you would like the red or black car better. ;)

But do you think modular is important in my case? It's an original acer manufactor case..

Non modular PSUs tend to leave the case very messy, especially the high performance PSUs since they tend to have a lot more cables than the generic 400W units.

Non modular PSUs tend to leave the case very messy, especially the high performance PSUs since they tend to have a lot more cables than the generic 400W units.

Not with the right cable management techniques.

I'd just zip-tie all the extra cables to the top of the case, I doubt there'd be much airflow there on a OEM case, probably just a back exhaust and MAYBE a front intake.

My case isn't very huge, will the cables and wires block the airflow and cause an overheat?? :O
I will buy the TX.

Back