• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RemoteFX for primary gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hipcrostino

This seems the best place for such a thread.

RemoteFX is Microsofts new implimentation of 3D graphics calculated on a server before being passed to a remote desktop client. You have been under a rock if you havn't heard about it.

Its designed for enterprise, but I don't see the point of that personally. I think it might be the way forward for me at home. If I buy one massive graphics card, latest tech (perhaps even a buisness based one) and slap that in my server (8 core HT, 16gb ram, mega amounts of space) then I could play games from it from my crappy laptop etc via my home network. Thats the idea anyway. It would be designed for one client at a time (although multiple would work, the RAM and the GPU are divideded amongst sessions and that would hurt frame rates for high end games)

What I'm wondering is, has anyone played with it to see if it works as a dedicated gaming machine????

I actually haven't heard of this, but it sounds incredibly similar to what Xorg (X Window Manager) can do; which has been available on Linux for a long time. It has had this functionality for a while. For example, I can open a terminal, run a window manager on my Windows box (xming) and use my server's install of Firefox. Any program should work with this, including 3D.

What you've explained is basically what it will do, but it will be limited by the bandwidth between the client and the server. With today's internet connections, you aren't going to be able to play a game at very high resolution or FPS. An internal gigabit network connection might cope with it better. Though, it still won't be near running it locally.

This seems the best place for such a thread.

RemoteFX is Microsofts new implimentation of 3D graphics calculated on a server before being passed to a remote desktop client. You have been under a rock if you havn't heard about it.

Its designed for enterprise, but I don't see the point of that personally. I think it might be the way forward for me at home. If I buy one massive graphics card, latest tech (perhaps even a buisness based one) and slap that in my server (8 core HT, 16gb ram, mega amounts of space) then I could play games from it from my crappy laptop etc via my home network. Thats the idea anyway. It would be designed for one client at a time (although multiple would work, the RAM and the GPU are divideded amongst sessions and that would hurt frame rates for high end games)

What I'm wondering is, has anyone played with it to see if it works as a dedicated gaming machine????

You've been able to do that with a PSP and a PS3 for years but nobody ever seems to do it :shrug:...

Not new tech..

Back