• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing windows 7 from a hard drive FTW!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

So I have a few copies of 7 and a new rig that needed a install. So I dumped the ISO file onto a hard drive, made it active, and boom had 7 installed in 6 mins.

Interesting. So you created a partition, copied all the contents of the Windows 7 installation disk to that partition, set it active, and booted to it, and you installed from a hard drive? That seems pretty convenient.

I had download a few copies from msdn from when I was in school. What I did was open the ISO using PowerISO, extract the files onto the hard drive, then I went into disk management and made the drive active. This was done using a extra hard drive. No partition. I could see this working very well if your doing a lot of benching and blowing out windows all the time.

It works great! Rips the files sooooo fast!

I have a few copies of server so what I may try to do is dump 7, server, and XP onto this disk and installing that way.

The one issue I may have is it may of saved the boot log on the the install hard drive.

i do the same thing with a usb flash drive. with vista and 7, you can extract the iso onto w/e storage device, make the partition active, and then boot off the drive. doing the same thing with an internal hard drive would definitely speed things up.

i know i did a full install of a of 7, off a usb drive onto my s599 128gb ssd in 8 min 47 secs. thats from pressing enter to boot off the usb flash drive, to having internet explorer open.

I can install from a flash drive to an SSD in about 8 minutes. From turning the computer on to having the desktop up.

I still remember the days of the OS taking forever to install, and everything else being fast. Now we can install in OS in a few minutes, and spend several hours putting games and crap back on the computer.

I still remember the days of the OS taking forever to install, and everything else being fast.

haha yeah windows 95 taking over an hour then 2 more hours or so to reinstall all of my programs and stuff lol

something else I thought of, I could take a hard drive install windows on it, split it into 2 drives and put the ISO on one. So when I need to do a fresh install it would be no problem. I could also load drivers and software so no need to download lots of stuff.

This activating of the drives you guys keep talking about, how does this work?

I gathered that you open the ISO with a program, copy all the files off the ISO onto an empty partition of a grive, usb stick what ever, other media then dvd-rw. But im clueless on this activating.

Excellent advice - Will definitely try this. I tend to keep my IDE DVD-RW as I don't have a need to upgrade it yet to a SATA based drive... Even then, I'd still prefer this method! Many thanks!

This activating of the drives you guys keep talking about, how does this work?

I gathered that you open the ISO with a program, copy all the files off the ISO onto an empty partition of a grive, usb stick what ever, other media then dvd-rw. But im clueless on this activating.

have the drive plugged into a win 7 or vista computer.

open a command prompt type: (after each line below press enter)

diskpart

list disk

select disk # (where # is the number from the above list that corresponds to ur flash drive / hdd with the extracted iso)

list partition

select partition # (where # is the number from the above list that corresponds to THE PARTITION that the extracted ISO is on)

active

exit

And then ur done.

^ Yup. This marks that partition on the drive as the "Active" partition, which the system will look for when booting to that drive.

have the drive plugged into a win 7 or vista computer.

open a command prompt type: (after each line below press enter)

diskpart

list disk

select disk # (where # is the number from the above list that corresponds to ur flash drive / hdd with the extracted iso)

list partition

select partition # (where # is the number from the above list that corresponds to THE PARTITION that the extracted ISO is on)

active

exit

And then ur done.

Thank you kind sir, this must be tried out soon :)

Back