• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making VRM heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As Theocnoob has said, that's probably the best option because it has the highest surface area - though I don't know if solid caps get hot or not?

But, really, even the five smaller ones would work fine. :)
ok :) Have to think which is the easiest to do.

Don't know should I use just normal hacksaw for cutting, might be easiest to do with that :-/

ok :) Have to think which is the easiest to do.

Don't know should I use just normal hacksaw for cutting, might be easiest to do with that :-/

Solid caps run colder than a politician's soul, so no worries there. Don't use a hacksaw use a dremmel with a really tiny bit and a lot of patience. I've circle cut similar material with them.

Solid caps run colder than a politician's soul, so no worries there. Don't use a hacksaw use a dremmel with a really tiny bit and a lot of patience. I've circle cut similar material with them.
Started doing this with hacksaw since my dremel is somewhere lost... Though this would be hell of a lot easier with it.

Started doing this with hacksaw since my dremel is somewhere lost... Though this would be hell of a lot easier with it.

:shrug: Is the hacksaw even working?
Also, my local big box hardware store lets you 'test' some tools out at a test station. Why dremel the test scrap wood they have lying around when you can 'evaluate a dremel for future purchase' while making yourself a heatsink?
If anybody asks you found the scrap metal at the store, right? I mean, come on..

:shrug: Is the hacksaw even working?
Also, my local big box hardware store lets you 'test' some tools out at a test station. Why dremel the test scrap wood they have lying around when you can 'evaluate a dremel for future purchase' while making yourself a heatsink?
If anybody asks you found the scrap metal at the store, right? I mean, come on..
haha :D
I know it is somewhere, but just don't know where... So typical. Though I don't know has my brother taken it, have to make him a call.

The basement of that heatsink is half cm thick, so yeah, its going to take a while with hacksaw...

The items circled in red are the inductors/chokes, they don't need heatsinks.
The mosfets are right under the arrows.

Thanks for clearing that up, now I, too, know what a mosfet looks like.

I may have to invest in some of those mosfet heatsinks, as the current board I have for my socket 939 rig doesn't have any heatsinks on any of the mosfets. That could possibly explain my stability problems at higher clock speeds.

Oh god, this was harder than I thought... One piece cut. Luckily I also had some 800 and 1200 sandpaper to get all those scratches out.

They don't have to cough up nearly as much power though, NB vrms are rarely if ever covered by a heatsink.

the cpu mofsets probs do about 130W between them, i.e 13W each on this particular board, the nb mofsets will have to cough up about 15W at max, 5W each them, hence why they dont need cooling.

Mosfets don't really put out much heat, they just get hot cause they never have much cooling on them.

A lot of people put a fan over them, and that helps immensely. A VRAM heatsink would be plenty for a Mosfet too. (Those little rectangular heat sinks that you get to put on the RAM of a video card)

As long as you have some sort of heatsink on them, you should be fine. :)

Mosfets don't really put out much heat, they just get hot cause they never have much cooling on them.

A lot of people put a fan over them, and that helps immensely. A VRAM heatsink would be plenty for a Mosfet too. (Those little rectangular heat sinks that you get to put on the RAM of a video card)

As long as you have some sort of heatsink on them, you should be fine. :)

Yea, they weren't running so hot actually, might be because my case is currently like a wind tunnel :D But I'll do the heatsink just to be sure.

Here we go :thup: !

mosfet.jpg

Now I just need to decide will i make it from this one piece or those five smaller ones. Though before that, It needs some polishing.

I'm going to go with the 2+2+1 heatsinks since it isn't enough like that in whole piece...

Back