• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An afterthought, is my PSU enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

I have the below rig in the sig. Just bought an MSI nVidia GTX 560 TI although it hasn't arrived yet. I have a Corsair HX 520W PSU that I bought some years ago on recommendation and has done me good so far.

I tried to use a online PSU calculator but I cannot insert my specific details in to suit my current build. Is there an easy way to work out how much wattage the system draws so I can determine if my PSU will cope adding a high spec graphics card like this?
I have my system running of an IP PDU which shows current draw. Only this machine is on the IP PDU and current draw when running BOINC (max load) flicks between 0 and 1 Amps and back to 0. Going by this I can say the draw is roughly 1A under full load.

I think ultimately the question here is how do I calculate this? I looked up some google results and it seems very complicated to simply give a yes or no answer. Has anyone seen this site?
http://firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page4.asp

Thanks in advance

560 isn't a high spec card. Total load power draw for that rig is going to be in the 300-350 watt range. That 520 will handle it with ease.

Thank you.
I'm currently running a geforce 6200. So a GTX560 is way higher spec :)

I'm about to swap my mum's PC PSU over and see. I hope it hasnt. It is 3 years and 7 months old so nearing EOL any way. Just found a cheap 850AX on Ebay.

It's booted up fine with another PSU but I had to swap my old GPU back in as I was getting a single beep and no display. The spare PSU is a "came with" from an old machine and is only something like 300w so it will be okay as long as I don't crunch.

Going to watch Stargate SG1 for the rest of the day, then.

Back