• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a rig, but it won't start. PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lincolnompa

So I've had the parts sitting around for a new rig I've been trying to build since December. I put it together, but I have not been successful with getting it to start. I haven't had the time since then, and my multimeter was dead and blah blah blah. I finally went and got a new 9volt battery for my tester and looked up some vids on youtube to figure out how to test my psu. Heres what I did:

First, I set my tester to 20 volts DC and then I went to test a molex with my tester. Inserted the black rod into a ground (one of the black wire leads) and the red in both the yellow and red leads in order. I would get a momentary read on the multimeter and it would immediately go to zero. I tried this with the psu, on and off (although I imagine I won't get anything with it off). After looking at another youtube video, I found a paperclip and inserted it in the green wire and a ground on my 24 pin. The psu started venting air out (it was clearly audible as well, as opposed to it being silent like all times before), and I connected a fan to a molex and it started working as well. I then tested another molex and got good voltage readings (red was around 5 volts and so on). Does this indicate a malfunctioning PSU or am I doing something wrong? I've had the system all set up, but it just seems that the mobo lights that show if its powered on would only get as far as lighting on for a fraction of a second and dying. Does this read like theres something wrong with my PSU? Its an antex 430W I got with a rebate from Newegg, btw, and I'm using it on a pretty basic rig.

So I've had the parts sitting around for a new rig I've been trying to build since December. I put it together, but I have not been successful with getting it to start. I haven't had the time since then, and my multimeter was dead and blah blah blah. I finally went and got a new 9volt battery for my tester and looked up some vids on youtube to figure out how to test my psu. Heres what I did:

First, I set my tester to 20 volts DC and then I went to test a molex with my tester. Inserted the black rod into a ground (one of the black wire leads) and the red in both the yellow and red leads in order. I would get a momentary read on the multimeter and it would immediately go to zero. I tried this with the psu, on and off (although I imagine I won't get anything with it off). After looking at another youtube video, I found a paperclip and inserted it in the green wire and a ground on my 24 pin. The psu started venting air out (it was clearly audible as well, as opposed to it being silent like all times before), and I connected a fan to a molex and it started working as well. I then tested another molex and got good voltage readings (red was around 5 volts and so on). Does this indicate a malfunctioning PSU or am I doing something wrong? I've had the system all set up, but it just seems that the mobo lights that show if its powered on would only get as far as lighting on for a fraction of a second and dying. Does this read like theres something wrong with my PSU? Its an antex 430W I got with a rebate from Newegg, btw, and I'm using it on a pretty basic rig.

First, you will have to use the paper clip trick to get power to the PSU. That is why it turned on when you jumped those two pins.

I would start by removing components, and systematically adding them back in to try to get the box to post. I'm assuming the fan in the PSU comes on when you turn on the computer? The fact that the PSU turns on, and you are able to get voltage readings from the Molexs leads me to believe that the PSU is working.

Post the other components in your system, and we can try to help out. Are all of the parts new?

Sounds like a mobo issue. As the person above me said, you should remove everything (bar basics, cpu, ram, gpu (unless it has one onboard) to determine exactly what it is as it could be a component causing this.

First, you will have to use the paper clip trick to get power to the PSU. That is why it turned on when you jumped those two pins.
Whats the paperclip trick that you're referring to? Is it what I did?

Post the other components in your system, and we can try to help out. Are all of the parts new?

I had the following in the case
Biostar T-Series that I bought open box from Newegg
Crucial Ram 2gb DDR2
AMD Athlon 2 X2
Antec 430 PSU

I should also add that the psu was disconnected from the mobo while I was doing the testing. This leads me to believe that this is a problem with the PSU... but I am kinda wondering about the Biostar Mobo as well.

No standoffs that I know of. Otherwise, you're suggesting that I should assemble the computer outside of my case? WHat should I rest the mobo on?

No standoffs that I know of. Otherwise, you're suggesting that I should assemble the computer outside of my case? WHat should I rest the mobo on?

Anything non-conductive: Wood tabletop, static bag, plywood, etc.

Back