• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati 6950 and cm psu issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alixalman

Registered
hey guys..
i have ati 6950 xfx xxx version 2gb card
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5906&category_id=30
this is my psu

the problem is when i plug in either my optical drive of hard disk... my card doesnt give display.. when i remove them it works fine...

so im thinking it might be the psu.. although the requirement for this card is 500watts

my processor is core i7 2600k and mother board is asus sabertooth p67.. 8gb corsair vengeance ram

Yes, that is really annoying. Especially knowing that the power draw of the whole system like yours at load is about 280 W. Your power supply provides 480 W of real power, so it is just BS that the video card does not start up.

I would just take back the PSU, and change it to something else. This can not be a good PSU. I am using a 600 W PSU myself with HD6950 and can not imagine that it would not be enough.

But anyway, does this happen at stock voltages in all parts?

Same Problem!

Hi! I have the powercolor Radeon 6950 1gig version and I am running intot he same exact issue.

Everything will boot up and I will get no display. The graphics card fans will spin fast then slow down then repeat the process continually.

I have a modxstream 600w OCZ PS. I thought for sure it'd be enough =T DId changing your PSU fix your problem?

I have alot of LED lights and 1 western digital black caviar HD so maybe all my other components are sucking up too much juice? or its just not a efficient enough PSU?

Unless the OP (and statuskuo) have BAD PSU's the PSU shouldnt be the issue.

And though your load is likely in the 350W range or so (280 sounds awfully low) that PSU shouldnt have any trouble with it.

Have you tried different ports for the optical and HDD?

I would bet that it is due to a faulty PSU. I run a 6950 with a 955BE a few HDDs and a fan that draws more than 40W and it all runs off of a VX450W PSU.

Did you mean wouldnt?

I cant imagine the LOW power draws of an Optical and HDD would put it over the edge.

Hi.
I used to have a radeon 5770 prior to my upgrade which ran perfectly fine with no problems. Here is my history of what happened:

1. Upgraded to radeon 6950 1 gig with no problems. Uninstalled drivers correctly, did driver sweeper, everything was fine.
2. Random bsod while playing a game.
3. My monitor wouldn't be able to find the video card during windows load screen, so it would be blank, however once I got into windows 7 it would be fine and I could mess around.
4. Eventually after a few more crashes my computer boots up fine however the video card will start up and stop and repeat. (The fan spins up then slows down then speeds up then slows down etc.) with no display.

My computer is as follows;
AMD 955 BE phenom ii
hyperx ram (never had any ram issues prior, forget the specifics but it seems unimportant for this issue)
600w ocz power supply (modular xstream one?)
Powercolor radeon 6950 1 gig

My boot up is fine, i dont get any beeps of any sort. I have alot of LED's and my mice + keyboard have led's on them as well, i'm not sure if its my 600w not being efficient enough for the full load of everything? I don't know if "Bad" psu's mean they dont work at all, or dont work at the full 86% efficiency I see listed on sites. Any insight would be great. I would want to test on my old video card but I don't have it with me and can't use it until next week.

I would start your own thread or just watch this one statuskuo..your issues, while similar, are not the same.

hey guys..
i have ati 6950 xfx xxx version 2gb card
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5906&category_id=30
this is my psu

the problem is when i plug in either my optical drive of hard disk... my card doesnt give display.. when i remove them it works fine...

so im thinking it might be the psu.. although the requirement for this card is 500watts

my processor is core i7 2600k and mother board is asus sabertooth p67.. 8gb corsair vengeance ram

Alix,

First of all, that Coolermaster is rated 2 12V rails @ 18 amps each. It should run what you have. However, that's only 432 watts combined 12V rails so it's a highly over-rated 600W power supply. Coolermaster does this all the time and it's no more than deception.

There are quality 450W power supplies that almost do that (Corsair VX450). I'm not telling you that your problem is your power supply but it's a good place to start. Do you have another you can try?

Back