• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I was wondering how does someone get files from windows xp over onto windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a1a2a3a4

Registered
I have a HD full of import stuff but am upgrading to a new computer with windows 7. Is there a way to transfer these files over so I don't have to redownload everything? I have a ton of important music files and stuff.

Also this might be a little off topic, does anyone know of an awesome free anti-virus/spyware program? Right now I use AVG free edition, not sure how well that is. Sorry if I strayed from the original topic.

If its a new, as in separate, computer just share all your important stuff and copy it over... should be the simplest method.

Just remove the hard drive from the old computer and connect it to the newer computer as a second drive...boot it up...then use "move to folder" command to move desired files onto the new designated HDD. (that if you do not want old files remains in the old HDD)

OR, just copy desired files onto the new HDD. (this way leaves old files intact in the old HDD)

I was under the impression you weren't able to use files from XP if you had windows 7. I actually got that from a computer tech on a computer building website.

don't think you can or would want to do an "upgrade." But if you do a clean install with no format, win7 will move all your old files (at least the stuff in old documents and settings and windows) into a directory called windows.old

I have a HD full of import stuff but am upgrading to a new computer with windows 7. Is there a way to transfer these files over so I don't have to redownload everything? I have a ton of important music files and stuff.

Connect your old hard dive to the motherboard and get files directly from it. You can also exchange files b/w computers on a network - connected to a router for example.

Anything that is on your computer and not backed up - it's like it doesn't exist - power supply failure can take out other components and a hard drive failure can result in data loss. Back up your most important files.

Also this might be a little off topic, does anyone know of an awesome free anti-virus/spyware program? Right now I use AVG free edition, not sure how well that is. Sorry if I strayed from the original topic.

AVG sucks.
Virus definitions of this one beat most (if not all) pay-for programs and it is free:
http://dlce.antivir.com/package/wks_avira/win32/en/pecl/avira_antivir_personal_en.exe

Here's how I install it:

Allow the configuration wizard to keep the default extended threat categories. [Do not Select All.]
(UNCHECK: Application (APPL), Games, Jokes, Security privacy risk, and Unusual runtime compression.)

Subscription to new virus definitions for this program does not expire. (It is renewed automatically when it expires.)

In case of subscription problems, download the latest key file from
http://dl2.avgate.net/down/windows/hbedv.key
and copy it to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop

Options:
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avcenter.exe

> Configuration (Right middle part of the window) > CHECK: Expert mode (upper left) > UNCHECK: Follow symbolic links (middle right)
> Scanner > Scan > Action for concerning files

For older/slower systems: Guard > Scan > Heuristic > UNCHECK everything

> Update > Product Update > Do not download product updates. [This option is only for Avira Antivir product updates (Antivirus definitions will still be downloaded automatically.) Product updates should be downloaded manually by going to Update > Start product update... because they may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

> General > Security > UNCHECK: Show notice if the virus definition file is out of date
then

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > Administrative Tools [in Windows 7, click on System and Security first] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

For Windows XP Home you would need to boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator, then
go to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
and right click on it >
Properties > Security > Advanced > Edit > Select options not to let it execute for all users.

This also works for Windows 2000.

To disable AntiVir splash screen: right click on its shortcut > Properties >
Next to Target: add /ns to the existing path.

To disable AntiVir splash screen if it automatically starts at bootup, use program such as
Startup Control Panel > HKLM / Run TAB > right click on avgnt > Edit... >
add /ns to the existing path of the program so that it reads
"C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min /ns

To submit a suspected virus, go to
http://analysis.avira.com/samples/
to upload it.

Turn off notification pop-ups after Antivir updates itself:
Administration (lower left) > Scheduler > Right-click on Daily Update > Edit job > Next > Next > Next > under Display mode, select Invisible > Finish.

You can scan multiple drives inside program options: Local Protection > Scanner > CHECK drives you wish to scan. The premium version also offers the option to scan multiple folders here. The free version does not.

In case of error message:

The procedure entry point ?_Xbad@tr1@std@@YAX4error_type@regex_constants@12@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll

download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2

Manual updates can be downloaded from:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip
or for older versions of Windows:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_9x_en.zip
Unzip the downloaded file and copy all the contents to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
overwriting existing files.

It is possible to transfer virus definitions between systems if Antivir version is the same so that it contains these files:
aecore.dll
aeemu.dll
aegen.dll
aehelp.dll
aeheur.dll
aeoffice.dll
aepack.dll
aerdl.dll
aescn.dll
aescript.dll
aeset.dat
aevdf.dll
antivir0.vdf
antivir1.vdf
antivir2.vdf
antivir3.vdf
avewin32.dll
avpack32.dll
avrep.dll
unacev2.dll

Using two Antivirus programs at the same time:
If there are two Antivirus programs installed, you should not have two Antivirus *Guard* programs active at the same time because this would slow the system down, Windows may even have problems booting with two Antivirus guard components being active. So if installing AntiVir on a system where there already is an Antivirus program installed, do not install AntiVir guard.

Also disable the guard component of one program if using another program to scan an entire disk drive.

Default log file location is
C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

For older versions:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\LOGFILES
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
or
C:\Program Files\Avira AntiVir Personal\
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Avira AntiVir Personal\LOGFILES

Back