• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA Problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GhosTas

Hi. My old motherboard fried so I went ahead and ordered the whole set as my Athlon x2 2.2GHz was too slow for my needs. My order was:

* Asus CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA 890FX Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
* AMD Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1090T 3.2GHz Socket AM3 9MB Cache 125W Retail Boxed Processor
* Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 unbuffered

Had to buy new RAM too because my old RAM was DDR2. I am running windows XP SP3 and GeForce 250GTS GPU. I also used the disc that came with the motherboard to install all the drivers.

Anyway, I hooked it up, everything seemed to be working fine except for a few things I noticed right away: The LAN port wasn't working, USB keyboard and mouse wasn't working and there was no sound from my speakers (found out the last one later on).

The LAN port, I figured, wasn't really an issue as I was thinking it would start working after I install the driver for it (I assumed there was one, although I didn't need to install the driver manually for my previous mobo), and I was right.

The keyboard and mouse issue was big, I got pretty frustrated after restarting the PC and changing the USB port numerous times with no success, it did work in BIOS though. Well, most of the time. Then all of the sudden it started working, figured it installed a driver for it automatically.

There was no sound coming from my speakers and I was gonna search on info for it on the web, and finally gave up after no result. So far I have no idea how to resolve this. It's onboard integrated VIA VT2020 @ ATI SB800 HD sound card. I have a usb headset, which works fine, but there is no sound on my speakers when I put VIA HD audio output as my primary audio output device or any other method.

Everything was working fine apart from the audio, the USB headset that I had was working so I was in no rush to spend hours on that, as I was eager to enjoy latest games on max graphics with this new high-performance system. It was fine for a day and a half, then I came across this:
Every once in a while my USB keyboard and mouse (both connected to the computer via single USB drive) would stop working. It's gotten more often now, I'm getting keyboard blackouts like every 10-60 minutes (and I am kind of rushing to write this before another one kicks in). For it to work again, I have to go into Bios and reset all settings (just recently found that, before I would switch and switch usb ports and restart the computer for a half hour). This is really a pain in the ***... Really need a solution.

Some more disappointing changes are: Windows takes a lot longer to load, probably 5 times, it also blinks a couple times during that. Quality of any flash video (youtube, NBA league pass etc.) got poor when I switch to full screen mode, buttons got "squary" as well as video itself. Enb mods (directx graphics manipulation) started crashing games at start up, just getting a quick blink and the app doesn't start. GTA IV stopped working- I get "The instruction at '0x4fee4561' referenced memory at '0x00395068'. The memory could not be 'written'. OK to terminate, Cancel to debug". Those three are not prioritized, but it would be nice if you guys knew solutions to them. To any of them, for that matter.

I've given some thought that the motherboard itself might be faulty, but I'm not sure and I don't really have a way to test it. I'm hoping you guys can help me with all of these problems, it's gotten under my skin already

whle* installing your computer did you get shocked or shock the pc via static electricity ?

also did you try looking for bios updates that you could burn to a CD or boot from a flash drive?

what about the POST screen does it say anything isnt working? (you should be able to pause it by pressing the Pause break button whihc is located above the page up button)

reseat the ram and graphics card and then run memtest on the mermory and play a game and watch a video on youtube to test the video card

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

It sounds like you've got chipset driver problems. Did you do a fresh install of Windows? HDD wiped clean, etc, or did you re-use the HDD from a previous build without a clean install?

Haven't heard of this issue with the Crosshair IV but you might try disabling Legacy USB.

Do you have an internal connection for sound to tie it into a case jack or are you using the rear ports for your speakers? It's obvious the sound driver is working to some extent or you wouldn't have any sound at all.

:welcome: to OCF!

It sounds like you've got chipset driver problems. Did you do a fresh install of Windows? HDD wiped clean, etc, or did you re-use the HDD from a previous build without a clean install?

Haven't heard of this issue with the Crosshair IV but you might try disabling Legacy USB.

Do you have an internal connection for sound to tie it into a case jack or are you using the rear ports for your speakers? It's obvious the sound driver is working to some extent or you wouldn't have any sound at all.

Thank you for welcoming :) I re-used everything. Tried disabling legacy USB, no change. And I am using rear ports, my set of speakers have 3 different connections for different pairs of speakers (5.1), so rear ports are the only way, I wouldn't use front panel ports for primary audio device anyway.

whle* installing your computer did you get shocked or shock the pc via static electricity ?

also did you try looking for bios updates that you could burn to a CD or boot from a flash drive?

what about the POST screen does it say anything isnt working? (you should be able to pause it by pressing the Pause break button whihc is located above the page up button)

reseat the ram and graphics card and then run memtest on the mermory and play a game and watch a video on youtube to test the video card
I kept the components in anti-static bags and touched the case a few times while building to discharge myself from static electricity. There was a program that came with the mobo disc to update bios, it couldn't find any new updates. I didn't look for them manually.

what video card?
what power supply?
what cd/dvds?etc....
i built a system for somene else very similar.
had a few probs with sound and usb..
swapped mem with som mushkin 1600 i had and all probs went away...mem was corsair 1600

what video card?
what power supply?
what cd/dvds?etc....
swapped mem with som mushkin 1600 i had and all probs went away...mem was corsair 1600
That brings up a good point.

GhosTas, are you running your RAM at 1600 and have you tried turning it down to 1333? Also, a good MemTest86+ run couldn't hurt. ;)

http://www.memtest.org/

Thank you for welcoming :) I re-used everything.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Did you wipe the HDD or is this the same install of Windows you had before? Re-using a Windows install with a new board can sometimes cause problems unless you at least take the time to wipe all the old board drivers off before you use it in the new machine.

what video card?
what power supply?
what cd/dvds?etc....

GeForce GTS 250 1GB DDR3
Corsair 650W
LiteOn ATAPI iHAS124
SAMSUNG HD321KJ 320 GB
WDC WD20EARS 2TB

Memory is corsair 1333

QuietIce, I didn't reformat, so it's the same windows install. I uninstalled all the old drivers I could find, but obviously not all of them. I will do a memtest later on today or tomorrow morning, cause I'm busy this evening.

Ugggh, I am having similar issues with my Asus Crosshair Formula board. Everything works great except my USB keyboard in 3d games. I have re-installed the USB drivers and installed an old Cat 11.4 driver.

OP, did you ever resolve this problem?

I guess I could flash the bios, I haven't tried that yet.

Ugggh, I am having similar issues with my Asus Crosshair Formula board. Everything works great except my USB keyboard in 3d games. I have re-installed the USB drivers and installed an old Cat 11.4 driver.

OP, did you ever resolve this problem?

I guess I could flash the bios, I haven't tried that yet.

I updated the BIOS and it didn't fix my problems, just so you know. With my USB, the problem was the keyboard USB drive (I had a wireless one), it was a bit banged up but was working on my old PC before I built the new one. I bought the same new keyboard (50 pound for a keyboard :screwy: ) and now I have no problems with it what-so-ever. For the sound issue... I just bought a sound card for ~20 pounds, so that's my "fix" to that problem :chair: . Everything seems to be working fine now :) .

My bios is th elatest official 1902 and I have tried everything I know of and still have the wierd USB-keyboard issue. I even tried the old style P2 keyboard and I still get no keyboard functions in 3-D games.

Hmmm, I just installed a new mobo Asus M4A89 Pro and I still have the problem. It is not the mobo. Maybe it is the vid card?

Back