• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Registry Errors Fix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaosmachine420

I am having an odd registry error on my hard drive. I used Registry Mechanic and has fixed it says all my errors but 1 still says there is one that cant be fixed. How can I get this fixed or is another drive a better and easier fix.

In the olden days they had Snake Oil and people drunk it and had all kinds of problems afterwords. It certainly did not cure what was ailing them.

Today we have "Registry Fixing" software - modern Snake Oil that has broken many a machine. Stay away from those - chances are they break more things than they fix and if you didn't break anything yet - consider yourself lucky.

Well my machine was broken before i used it and it fixed my machine tho. I would like to know if I need to replace my hard drive then if it keeps messing up my hard drive registry for Windows.

Last edited:
Hard drive problems can be fixed by running this
ErrorChecking.jpg

Also run, what do you have, Seagate? Run this, SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Other brands have their own versions, for example, even after my Western Digital drive appeared to be working, only an overnight Western Digital Extended Test using their Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows revealed this:
attachment.php

But your problem may not be related to your hard drive if it passes extended tests. You would have to post more specifics about the nature of your problem to correct it using means other than 'Registry Fixing' software.

"Error C000009A applying update operation 117172 of 319112 (\Registry\...)" That is the error I am getting.

A fubar registry doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your hard drive
It means your os is the problem

"Error C000009A applying update operation 117172 of 319112 (\Registry\...)" That is the error I am getting.

Does this apply to you:

“After installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), you might receive the following error message on a blue screen:

"Error C000009A applying update operation {###} of {###} (\Registry...)"

To resolve this issue, restore your computer to a point in time before you installed Windows 7 SP1, uninstall any unused language packs, and then reinstall SP1. To restore your computer to a previous point in time, you'll need to use the System Recovery Options menu.”

If it is then in the future, I would not run a Windows or a driver update or install Windows Service Packs before driving imaging your operating system partition in case the solution requires restore or reformat. Because if you had a drive image - you would simply reimage to that point and problem solved. Right now your best bet is to see if you have any restore points...

The error I am getting is installing the Service Pack 1. Something else installed before everytime I this error comes up. So the error is during the installation process.

They say uninstall any unused language packs, before trying to install SP1, I assume you did all that?

Should I use the Seagate tools first or after the windows hard drive scan. I also have had problems with the Windows hard drive scan it freezes on 1 second left and has had it so even if I push a button to cancel the scan it doesn't cancel just keeps counting down.

Then run SeaTools on the Seagate drive. Maybe start the extended scan overnight. If SeaTools for Windows can't be used, you may need to use SeaTools for DOS and use it like a boot CD and boot with it to run the scan from outside the Windows environment.

No, your drive me failing only if you run SeaTools and it doesn't pass the test ;)

If you can't install SeaTools for Windows, that's OK, sometimes SeaTools needs exclusive access so that's why it only works from DOS. You would need to burn the ISO and boot with it to run the test. I do not think your drive is the problem, however, so after it passes the test, you will have no reason to suspect it. The error you mentioned has been reported elsewhere, if you reinstalled Windows from scratch, you would probably be able to install SP1 on your system.

Try running a 'chkdsk /r' from an authoritative command prompt. It will check your file system and attempt to repair corrupted files / mark bad sectors on your drive.

It says "Access Denied a you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode." Does this mean I have to run this in safe mode or am i locked out of admin on my computer.

Go to Start - Programs - Accessories - right click on command prompt and choose 'Run As Administrator' then run the chkdsk /r command.

Ok, go to Computer - Right click on your drive and go to Properties. From here, go to Tools - and click Check Now under 'Error Checking' - select both check boxes, and it will say the drive is in use and give you the option to schedule a disk check. Reboot, and it should run.

Back