• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hybrid MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jhoff

How can I link the GPU on my board with my card?
Id like to use the HDMI port on the board with the two DVIs on the VC to produce 3monitors.

Is this possible?

Asus M4A89GTD PRO
Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770

Are you sure your motherboard has the hybrid crossfire technology? I was under the impression AMD abandoned that. It came out about two years ago and was short-lived. It only worked with certain low end video cards and the performance gain was negligible. Video card performance was increasing so rapidly and prices were falling so it was much smarter to just get a single potent card both from a performance standpoint and a money standpoint.

Note that it says: "with an applicable ATI Radeon graphics card". Do you have one of those "applicable cards"? That's what you need to research.

From the motherboard manual...and other sources.

Generally speaking what follows is accurate according to that motherboard manual.

M4A89GTD PRO Manual >> E5741_M4A89GTD_PRO_Series.pdf

Page 38. Layout and 'speeds' of the 2 PCIe x16 video card slots.

Page 44. Dual Display Table describes what the "onboard" VGA can support by itself.

Page 81. Internal Graphics Mode. Select Internal Graphics Mode.

Page 126. ATI Hybrid CrossFireX Technology. See system requirements since WinXP will not work according to the manual. Read the manual carefully since it gives setup options in bios and the video driver.

Even with the 890 chipset the Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (5770) will not work in CrossFireX at all.

It's ATI's new 890 chipset that can hybrid crossfireX with HD5400/5500 series of cards.

Your board is most likely cabable of surround view where it enables both the onboard and the 5770 to provide extra monitors. Not hybrid xfire. This would be done in ATI Control Center.

With two video card slots you could disable onboard video in bios and use two 5770 video cards in surround view for even four monitors in theory.

I doubt a graphics card that good can be used with Hybrid Crossfire. The 790GX chipset needed a 3400 and, from what little I've read, newer chipsets require similar, low-end video cards (in the 4xxx and 5xxx series) to go with on-board graphics.

Back