• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does that board have the ability to unlock the CPU? If not, you might consider a low-cost board that does. No guarantees of course but if your CPU will unlock it would be a cheaper solution than an upgraded CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that board have the ability to unlock the CPU? If not, you might consider a low-cost board that does. No guarantees of course but if your CPU will unlock it would be a cheaper solution than an upgraded CPU.

I agree. I looked up your board and you do not have the chipset to unlock. I would spend your money on a MOBO that has a chipset that allows the unlocking of your other cores.

The mobo doesn't comes with core unlocker and spend money in a mobo with it is waste money in old technology unless that he goes with AM3 mobo, that also will means new DDR3 RAM.

I join to trents question, I think that best option here is a CPU X3 with L3 cache or wait for BD.

The mobo doesn't comes with core unlocker and spend money in a mobo with it is waste money in old technology unless that he goes with AM3 mobo, that also will means new DDR3 RAM.

I join to trents question, I think that best option here is a CPU X3 with L3 cache or wait for BD.

Agree.

Especially, with the possibility your unlocked core is unstable. I bet you would feel very happy spending money on a new MB for nothing :)

X3 or wait for BD

If this: http://www.apevia.com/searchresult.asp?keywords=DREAMER II is your case and you want still use your current DDR2 RAM, I suggest your go with a MSI K9A2 Platinum: http://www.yourstoreonline.net/atx_am2_790fx_pcie_ddr2/id1078422/product.html?scomp=googlebase

Yeah, it's expensive but a very good mobo but very hard to find one new since this mobo is AM2/AM2+ socket.
Are you sure that board will unlock X2's???

recomennd any good boards that will fit in my case? apevia dream 2 case
Almost any board will fit that case. The real question here is what do you use the machine for? If it's just gaming you already have a good gaming chip (for most games) but maybe need a better board to get a higher overclock - and see if you can unlock to a quad. If you use it for video encoding, newer games, or anything else that uses more than two cores then you should probably go with a quad - maybe a 645 if you want to keep it cheap?

Are you sure that board will unlock X2's???

Almost any board will fit that case. The real question here is what do you use the machine for? If it's just gaming you already have a good gaming chip (for most games) but maybe need a better board to get a higher overclock - and see if you can unlock to a quad. If you use it for video encoding, newer games, or anything else that uses more than two cores then you should probably go with a quad - maybe a 645 if you want to keep it cheap?

Sorry, I just took in mind the part of "fit in my case", I forgot the unlock feature. I was recommended that mobo for overclock the current CPU without unlock and support AM3 line until 1090T with BIOS update.

What's the issue though that's making you think about replacing it? If its just gaming, save your money for now. If you do multi-threaded tasks, then think about an upgrade.. But for gaming you'll find that the HD4870 + your Dual core are perfectly fine as a pair. You won't really see any huge bottlenecks.

If you're upgrading for the sake of upgrading, save up some money for a new machine altogether IMO. (Looking at a Sandy Bridge system here...)

Also have you OC'd the cpu at all? Do you have a custom cooler? if not, get one perhaps (something cheap, Cooler Master Hyper 212+ comes to mind) and do some OC'ing. Should be plenty really for just gaming..

I havent overclocked...yet a bit worried on how to do and also blowing the chip....and it is the Black edition i pulled it out and checked serial number on chip....only paid 230 for the system....and no cooler at all

Get the best 92 mm fan-based tower cooler you can for your CPU. Your case is too narrow to take the 120 mm fan-base tower coolers which are the best, of course.

Huh? That are lots of great dual-core gaming rigs out there running 4+ GHz. No reason not to overclock just because you can't get to a quad (with your current board).

Do the specific games/apps you have actually use more than two cores and, if so, how much of those cores do they use? Some games may use over two cores but don't use them much, so there's very little improvement from a dual-core to a quad.

Huh? That are lots of great dual-core gaming rigs out there running 4+ GHz. No reason not to overclock just because you can't get to a quad (with your current board).

Do the specific games/apps you have actually use more than two cores and, if so, how much of those cores do they use? Some games may use over two cores but don't use them much, so there's very little improvement from a dual-core to a quad.

true that raising my brother e6750 dual core from 3.3 to 4ghz raised his black ops fps about 10-20 fps on the next video setting up

For overclock the CPU we need use the BIOS and for the GPU I use MSI afterburner, works with all GPUs even if aren't MSI brand.

Before give you some advices about overclock, we need know something. What cooler do you have?, overclock with the stock cooler is a little risky because doesn't gives you good temps.

Back