• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU, Up or Down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaxstraww

Registered
Not sure why I'm having issues but I think I put my PS in upside down. I recently had to downsize my case so that it would fit in my desk. The new case has a mesh covered vent at the bottom and I think that's why I mounted the PS fan side down.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0340862

In one of the pics you can see to the far left and at the bottom the cut out where the bottom mounting PS would go.

The PS I bought is this...... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

So looking at the case and the four "feet" is it logical to have the fan pointed down. Is there enough airflow to bring air into the PS from underneath the actual case?

I am not sure about every case but i know that every case that i have had ,that you can only mount the psu one way.. My Challenger will only mount the psu with the fan up only...

I used the search function and this has been kicked around before. I can mount either way from looking at the case holes on the back. With the base of the case being vented with a mesh covering I assume the case makers knew something would draw in air at that spot or why not just do a cut away with no mesh. No real hot air is pouring out but you can feel that its pushing air out just not hot air.

I think I'm in good shape unless someone else has anything to add but I'm looking at it that I have a mesh covered opening and a workable amount of space underneath due to the "feet" on the case.

Sounds like you are fine; your PSU fan may simply be drawing heat away from it, and use the case cooling to disperse the air out through the back. Corsairs are nice PSU units and run cool; I had one prior to switching to PC Power & Cooling.

If you're on a hard floor I'd put it intake-down.
If you're on carpet, intake up.

If you're on a hard floor I'd put it intake-down.
If you're on carpet, intake up.
Yup. Too many case designs assume people want to use the PSU as a vacuum cleaner - I don't get it. In general, I would always point the intake up.

Thanks guys. Its not on carpet but in a cabinet connected to the desk so its a hard floor. Going to keep it intake down.

Back