• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Getting data off windows 2000 user directories

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
Hello,

I'm trying to retrieve some data from an old windows 2000 install HD. The data that I need to recover is within the User directories, and when I try to copy the data I get an "access is denied" message.

I currently have the hard drive from the 2000 machine in my windows 7 box.

Any ideas?

The other error it provides is "folder is not accessible." I'm using tera copy for the transfer.

I use FinalData to extract data when needed; otherwise, you can try changing the folder access control list (ACL) and give yourself the access that way. Folder(s) aren't encrypted, correct?

Thanks guys, I figured it out, and Thideras got it. I had changed the permissions from the main "Documents and Settings" folder, but for some reason that didn't apply itself to all of the sub-folders. I was able to get access by going through manually and updating the permissions for each affected folder.

I appreciate your help guys.

The folders aren't encrypted, but I thought it was a weird windows 2000 rights thing, not a windows 7 security issue.

Thanks again!

Ah, and if I had done Thideras' suggestion it would have auto applied to the sub directories. Good show.

Whoops, still having an issue with some of the files. Of course, these are the most important files that I'm trying to backup. Yay.

So, even with the ownership set as described above, about 20 individual files are still reporting "access is denied" when I try to copy them. It appears that the permissions are set correctly as well.

The files are labview programs (.vi) , a few excel files (.xls) and some links (.lnk).

Whoops, still having an issue with some of the files. Of course, these are the most important files that I'm trying to backup. Yay.

So, even with the ownership set as described above, about 20 individual files are still reporting "access is denied" when I try to copy them. It appears that the permissions are set correctly as well.

The files are labview programs (.vi) , a few excel files (.xls) and some links (.lnk).

Are you able to access the advanced permissions settings? Perhaps there is something in there that isn't allowing you to take ownership / full control.

You took ownership and then reset permissions? Can you check the individual files to make sure it propagated properly?

Yup, my ownership propagated, but apparently my user name wasn't listed under the permissions tab for those selected files. I'm adding my username to those files, and I'm able to transfer them over now. Not sure what happened, but I think I've gotten it now.

Thanks again guys

Back