• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI_E x16 & x8 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdriskill

Registered
I have a M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 with 2x x16 pci slots but when running x16 on the bottom one the top will drop to x8. In crossfire they will both drop to x8

Is it even worth going xfire on this board? :-/

yep, you wont notice a difference at all, cards lose about 3-5% bandwidth, you can run cards at x1 with minimal issues, theres a test somewhere which i might dig up later if i have the energy.

ahh thank you i might have to go ahead with it then. I currently have a 6950 and was going to save up for the 6990. But 2x 6950s are still cheaper and out perform the 6990

I have a M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 with 2x x16 pci slots but when running x16 on the bottom one the top will drop to x8. In crossfire they will both drop to x8

Is it even worth going xfire on this board? :-/
Most boards (even Intel) don't have enough PCIe lanes to support true 2x16 PCIe slots. AMD's FX chipsets have 40 PCIe lanes and can support it but none of the other AMD boards have that many lanes (Intels don't even have that many). That being said, and as has been said, it won't make that much difference in performance. I'm sure, eventually, they'll have video cards where it matters but, for now, it's virtually nothing. :)

Last edited:
Back