• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Confirms They Will Support Bulldozer on AM3+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"The pinouts on AM3 and AM3+ are different. However, AM3+ CPUs will physically fit in an AM3 socket." Hmmm....

Remember, pinout != pin arrangement. You could have a 6-pin PCIe plug with the proper pinout or you could (easily...but not-so-brilliantly) reverse the positive and negative wires. Thus the pinout would be different, but it would physically fit in a 6-pin PCIe plug. He wouldn't go into detail regarding the pins changed and which pin does what.

Holy sleeper account too, welcome back!

AFAIK AM3 works with 938 active pins while AM3+ will be 940 active pins, ASUS, in a smart move built some CH IV mobos with the 940 active pins for use the current AM3 CPUs, that's the reason for the AM3+ support with a BIOS update.

Vendors use OEMs for sockets, typically Foxconn (see photo here, look in the upper left of the socket). Unless ASUS had Foxconn specifically make an AM3 socket only for them, knowing AM3+ was coming, and what pins they needed where, I doubt that is the case. It's not fiscally smart to have a standardized socket customized for one company's use - it would be prohibitively expensive, especially for such a small order as only the top teir motherboards by one manufacturer.

He also didn't qualify that statement - AM3+ CPUs will physically fit in an AM3 socket. Period, without qualification. I don't think he would have said yes to that if it were actually that 'they'll only fit in non-standard AM3 sockets only on a few ASUS boards that they had custom made.'

Vendors use OEMs for sockets, typically Foxconn (see photo here, look in the upper left of the socket). Unless ASUS had Foxconn specifically make an AM3 socket only for them, knowing AM3+ was coming, and what pins they needed where, I doubt that is the case. It's not fiscally smart to have a standardized socket customized for one company's use - it would be prohibitively expensive, especially for such a small order as only the top teir motherboards by one manufacturer.

He also didn't qualify that statement - AM3+ CPUs will physically fit in an AM3 socket. Period, without qualification. I don't think he would have said yes to that if it were actually that 'they'll only fit in non-standard AM3 sockets only on a few ASUS boards that they had custom made.'

Maybe, AMD are bringing out CPUs to support the 8x0 series and then other CPUs for the 9x0 series:confused:

I didn't get that indication at all from the conversation. Their only proclamation regarding socket support for Bulldozer architecture CPUs is that they will support them on the AM3+ platform (meaning 9x0 series). If you want to know whether it will operate on an 8x0 series board, you have to ask to the manufacturer.

:thup: It IS always good to hear it from the horse!

After the mess with AM2/AM2+ I don't blame AMD at all for not saying anything about BD fitting an AM3 board. Many people were more than a little aggravated at AMD because AM2+ CPUs wouldn't work in (especially) older AM2 boards when, in fact, it was the board manufacturers that were to blame because they didn't want to update the BIOS on an old board or had side-stepped an AM2 spec or two so it couldn't support AM2+. As happened with AM2 to AM2+ it wouldn't surprise me if some AM3 boards will be able to handle BD but I can certainly see AMD not wanting to say it since it's outside their control.

Makes sense. . . why would AMD put themselves back in the AM2/AM2+ boat again because it didn't win them any points with people. Unless you can promise backwards compatibility best just to :chair:

:thup: It IS always good to hear it from the horse!
:rofl:

After the mess with AM2/AM2+ I don't blame AMD at all for not saying anything about BD fitting an AM3 board. Many people were more than a little aggravated at AMD because AM2+ CPUs wouldn't work in (especially) older AM2 boards when, in fact, it was the board manufacturers that were to blame because they didn't want to update the BIOS on an old board or had side-stepped an AM2 spec or two so it couldn't support AM2+. As happened with AM2 to AM2+ it wouldn't surprise me if some AM3 boards will be able to handle BD but I can certainly see AMD not wanting to say it since it's outside their control.

Well, might as well wait for 990 FX/X boards then.:thup:

So I have a random question related to this... This is all based on rumor and I don't have my mind set on this.

Doesn't AM3 use a "939 pin" socket? And the new AM3+ would use a "941 pin" socket, least that's what I've read. I've also read that ASUS will be supporting AM3+ with a simple BIOS update. However my M4N98TD EVO board says "941 Pin" above the socket. I noticed this while breaking down from a DICE session today.

Could I possibly hope for one of the lucky boards that will support AM3+ (BD) with just a simple BIOS update? I know this is all rumor, and no one can give me a DEFINITE answer. What do y'all think? :p

He said, unequivocally that AM3+ CPUs will physically fit in the AM3 socket.

According to wiki, while the AM3 socket has 941 contacts, the AM3 CPUs only have 938 pins. Wouldn't be a stretch for AM3+ CPUs to have 940 or less.

He said, unequivocally that AM3+ CPUs will physically fit in the AM3 socket.

According to wiki, while the AM3 socket has 941 contacts, the AM3 CPUs only have 938 pins. Wouldn't be a stretch for AM3+ CPUs to have 940 or less.

I'm still trying to figure out what they're using any extra pins for at all. I can't imagine HT Link using more than the 40 lanes it already has and unless they move to triple or quad channel memory there shouldn't be any changes there. :shrug: Guess we'll know in a month or so.

Thanks for the feedback on my random question. I know it's all rumor, just figured I'd get some opinions.

QI, you're right, we'll just have to wait and see. :p

The AM3+ socket has 942 pins and from what I heard is that BD is supposed to have 942 contacts.

The issues AMD had, when running BD on the 890FX chipset was that 940 pins for BD was not enough. C32 and G34 has plenty of spare capacity, compared to AM3.

Last edited:
AMD FX Bulldozer

I have heard flaws on net that AMD will soon launch Bulldozer FX series revised versions as current versions dissatisfied many..
So When Does actually FX Bulldozer series CPU(8120,8150)New Revised versions will launch?? :confused:

Where did you hear that? They're working on Piledriver but I haven't heard any peeps on new revisions of Bulldozer CPUs.

Holy threadcromancy Bat-Man this thread has come back to life!

Mak I would suggest starting another thread.

Where did you hear that? They're working on Piledriver but I haven't heard any peeps on new revisions of Bulldozer CPUs.

I tried about 6 different sets of search terms in g00gle to try and UN-earth any rumor of a later version of BullDozer and nothing was on the horizon but PileDriver (desktop) so far as one can see. I did not even hit on a "rumor" for updated BullDozer cpu release.

Back