• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7, Should I install SP1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N8N8N8

Should I install service pack 1 update on win 7? Im always kind of skeptical about installing service packs. What are the advantages if everything is working fine?

N8

I've had SP1 since it's been out. No issues to date.. though I don't bench etc.. perhaps there are some memory hogging add-ins I didn't see.

no issues here with sp1... with already integrated sp1 install iso's updates after install are quick.

and on comps that havnt been updated in awhile i just install sp1, then do updates instead of having to do like 150 updates lol.

It doesn't really do anything for the common man compared to service packs of the past. At a minimum, it reduces the download mess a little.

Standard precautions apply as every time before you install any driver update or any minor Windows update: drive image your operating system partition so that you can image it right back in case anything goes wrong.

Sp1 will set a restore point when it installs. Just make sure you ONLY install SP1 with no other updates. I have seen it come grouped with other updates lately and it will crash the install if not done alone. M$ says they are fixing this problem but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Back