Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Heatsink Review

Today, I am going to take a look at a price/performance type heatsink that I have seen recommended on the forums quite a bit when someone is on a limited budget, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.
    ... Return to article to continue reading.

have one, love it.... for the price...
    THE RIG
    CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (3.7Ghz) | MOBO- Biostar TA890FXE
    GPU- Asus EAH6850 (900Mhz/1200) | RAM- 8 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (4x2gb)
    SSD- OCZ Vertex 60 GB | HD- WD Black 1TB
    PSU- Corsair 650 W | COOLER- Hyper 212+
    MONITOR- Asus Vh242H | CASE- Antec 902
    Overheating Click Me!

Senior Member that
    wants to Be Banned
    Premium Member #16

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Folding Profile Rosetta Profile
    Nice review...this one has been mentioned in a ton of threads here. Personally I have been a fan of Cooler master since I bought my first case from them, A Wavemaster back around 2003, still using it!

The fans have been running 24/7 since "03
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #1Win72600k@4.5GHZ(Hyper212+)Msi P67 G65 16GB RAM Gigabyte GTX 970, Corsair 850W
    Phones:One+64GB, Nexus 5, N4,N7, iphone 5, iphone 6(4.7")
    Folded for Tim and his wife, Mark and his wife,Pete_Scout Oldskool and Adak..."He was the Best of us".
    The first 4 months you cover your phone and baby it...
    The next 4 months you go commando and relax...
    The last 4 months you treat it like a rented mule, because lets face it its time for a new phone...

Quote Originally Posted by dfonda View Post
    Nice review...this one has been mentioned in a ton of threads here. Personally I have been a fan of Cooler master since I bought my first case from them, A Wavemaster back around 1993, still using it!
    ahh nostalgic cooler master stories! my first cm heatsink was one that came with a oem packard bell p3 unit, looked like todays southbridge heatsinks with a little cm fan on the top, still have it actually
    This is not the signature you are looking for.

Please Fold For Team32!

Water Cooling Sticky Reading Enforcement Official
    Author Profile Heatware Profile
    Great writeup jim...glad that I have some numbers to point at now
    If years were seasons, this December would be the December of our December.
    -Abed #sixseasonsandamovie

Heat

Yeah, using one in my main rig. I don't bother overclocking, keeps my rig stable which is something I typically find difficult during the summer months in Australia, using AMD CPU's anyway. (Don't flame me, I haven't used anything but AMD in my past 6 rigs. I'm a budget dude)
    CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
    Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
    RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
    Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
    GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
    Teamspeak Audio: SMSL SD-793II DAC, Sennheiser CX270 Earbuds + BM800 Condenser Microphone
    Amp/Speakers: SMSL SA-50 T-Amp, Polk Audio TSi500 Bookshelf Speakers
    Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
    PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    I'm glad to hear that it works good for you on your AMD setups, man. I don't own an AMD setup right now, so I can't test on that platform and while testing on my 1366 test system shows how much heat they can handle, it doesn't help out you AMD users on whether the AMD mounting system works well.

I have this, with the stock fan, coupled with the AMD PhenomII 1100T (Not overclocked yet) With this I get about 21 degrees C Idle. Very Quiet! The only other thing I can think of thats worth mentioning is that the RAM slot closest to the CPU WILL have clearance issues with AMD systems. I have GSkill Ripjaw, and have just barely enough room. However the fans dont screw onto the heatsink, the whole bracket slides down from the top, so even with taller RAM heatsinks you could still use this, you just won be able to slide the fan all the way down the heatsink.
    Cooler Master HAFX
    AMD Phenom II 1100T 3.3Ghz
    Cooler Master Hyer 212+ w/Dual fan push/pull
    ASUS Crosshair lV Formula
    GSkill Ripjaw 2x4GB @ 1600MHz
    **Awaiting Graphics card arrival**
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 2x60GB RAID 0
    Western Digital Caviar Black HDD 1TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by The White Hat View Post
    ... The only other thing I can think of thats worth mentioning is that the RAM slot closest to the CPU WILL have clearance issues with AMD systems. I have GSkill Ripjaw, and have just barely enough room. ...
    Depending on what else is going on in your case, you may be able to sidestep the RAM interference issue by rotating the HSF 90. I did that so I could line it up with a fan blowing air into the case.

I'm not aware of any reason not to mount this way and it seems to work well for me.
    Intel Core I7-4770K w/ 8 GB RAM @ 1600
    ASRock Z87M Extreme4 (ATX)
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
    Asus GTX 460 1GB
    Antec 300 case PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V
    240GB Seagate SSD, Patriot Torqx 2 SSD
    2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3200822AS 200GB drive. (RAID0/RAID1)
    Mint 16 Linux (Petra, 64 bit) and Debian Sid (shared $HOME)

Yeah, I've my 14cm case fans at the top of my case so I have the heat sink configured to blow the air straight up into them. Likewise, when not gaming my case fans a turned completely off so things are nice and quiet. This configuration helps.

Doing this you do need to install RAM prior to installing the heatsink. It's great to have the abillity to mount the heatsink in any direction you like. Many heatsinks aren't so flexable on orientation.

Heatspreaders aren't an issue for me as I tend to rip them off. Last I heard heatspreaders tend to hinder cooling rather than actually improve it.
    CPU & HSF: AMD FX-8120 & Noctua NH-D14
    Mobo: Asus M5A97-EVO
    RAM: 16GB (4Gx4) DDR3 2133 G.Skill RipjawZ F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL
    Storage: 1x 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD, 1x 250GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1x 1.5TB Samsung Silencer Series HDD
    GFX: 4GB Gigabyte ATI R9 270X OC Edition + Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE 27" IPS LED LCD
    Teamspeak Audio: SMSL SD-793II DAC, Sennheiser CX270 Earbuds + BM800 Condenser Microphone
    Amp/Speakers: SMSL SA-50 T-Amp, Polk Audio TSi500 Bookshelf Speakers
    Case & Lighting: Silverstone Temjin TJ04-E w/ Side Window + Red CCFL's
    PSU: 550W Antec EarthWatts Platinum

This or the Thermaltake Frio? Not sure which to use to cool a 2500k. Nice review
    For Everyday Use - Medion Akoya P6624 Notebook, Intel Core i5 460m 2.53/2.80ghz, 6gb ddr3, Geforce GT 425m 1gb, Spinpoint MP4 640gb, 7 Ultimate
    For Messing About - AMD Athlon Thunderbird 4 1.3ghz, nVidia Quadro fx700 128mb, 512mb ddr, Ultrastar 146z10, Creative live soundblaster, Win95

Quote Originally Posted by mjw21a View Post
    Yeah, I've my 14cm case fans at the top of my case so I have the heat sink configured to blow the air straight up into them. Likewise, when not gaming my case fans a turned completely off so things are nice and quiet. This configuration helps.

Doing this you do need to install RAM prior to installing the heatsink. It's great to have the abillity to mount the heatsink in any direction you like. Many heatsinks aren't so flexable on orientation.

Heatspreaders aren't an issue for me as I tend to rip them off. Last I heard heatspreaders tend to hinder cooling rather than actually improve it.
    yea, but pulling them off voids the warranty in almost every case and can rip memory IC's in half.

Heat

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by me2hat_head View Post
    This or the Thermaltake Frio? Not sure which to use to cool a 2500k. Nice review
    I haven't tested the Frio, so I really can't make the call between the 2. Does the Frio generally sell for less than $30 delivered? Because that is what the 212+ is selling for. The cheapest I found the Frio selling for with a quick search was around $45-50. And at that price, I would go with a Thermalright MUX120 for your 2500k.

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    this thing cools my i7 920 around 33C and thats with the horrible stock paste and positioning the fan to the rams. Im lazy and i really should get in there and add another fan an some AS5 but oh well. Picked mine up for $16.50 on ebay cause of the paypal advantage coupon.
    heatware 206-0-0
    good xbox had some good times
    psn:bluedood
    steam:bluedood
    Dont take the classies for granted

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhorse View Post
    this thing cools my i7 920 around 33C and thats with the horrible stock paste and positioning the fan to the rams. Im lazy and i really should get in there and add another fan an some AS5 but oh well. Picked mine up for $16.50 on ebay cause of the paypal advantage coupon.
    idles mean nothing...

Heat

max on full load 43-47
    heatware 206-0-0

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhorse View Post
    max on full load 43-47
    much better

Heat

Quote Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
    much better

thats at stock though
    dont have time to OC or else i would there is a crap load of things to change compared to my old 775 board.
    heatware 206-0-0