• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice review...this one has been mentioned in a ton of threads here. Personally I have been a fan of Cooler master since I bought my first case from them, A Wavemaster back around 2003, still using it!

The fans have been running 24/7 since "03

Attachments

• Cooler Master Wavemaster Black Aluminum Case.jpg
    Cooler Master Wavemaster Black Aluminum Case.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,064
Nice review...this one has been mentioned in a ton of threads here. Personally I have been a fan of Cooler master since I bought my first case from them, A Wavemaster back around 1993, still using it!

ahh nostalgic cooler master stories! my first cm heatsink was one that came with a oem packard bell p3 unit, looked like todays southbridge heatsinks with a little cm fan on the top, still have it actually :)

Yeah, using one in my main rig. I don't bother overclocking, keeps my rig stable which is something I typically find difficult during the summer months in Australia, using AMD CPU's anyway. (Don't flame me, I haven't used anything but AMD in my past 6 rigs. I'm a budget dude)

I'm glad to hear that it works good for you on your AMD setups, man. I don't own an AMD setup right now, so I can't test on that platform and while testing on my 1366 test system shows how much heat they can handle, it doesn't help out you AMD users on whether the AMD mounting system works well.

I have this, with the stock fan, coupled with the AMD PhenomII 1100T (Not overclocked yet) With this I get about 21 degrees C Idle. Very Quiet! The only other thing I can think of thats worth mentioning is that the RAM slot closest to the CPU WILL have clearance issues with AMD systems. I have GSkill Ripjaw, and have just barely enough room. However the fans dont screw onto the heatsink, the whole bracket slides down from the top, so even with taller RAM heatsinks you could still use this, you just won be able to slide the fan all the way down the heatsink.

... The only other thing I can think of thats worth mentioning is that the RAM slot closest to the CPU WILL have clearance issues with AMD systems. I have GSkill Ripjaw, and have just barely enough room. ...
Depending on what else is going on in your case, you may be able to sidestep the RAM interference issue by rotating the HSF 90°. I did that so I could line it up with a fan blowing air into the case.

DSC_3562-PP.JPG

I'm not aware of any reason not to mount this way and it seems to work well for me.

Yeah, I've my 14cm case fans at the top of my case so I have the heat sink configured to blow the air straight up into them. Likewise, when not gaming my case fans a turned completely off so things are nice and quiet. This configuration helps.

Doing this you do need to install RAM prior to installing the heatsink. It's great to have the abillity to mount the heatsink in any direction you like. Many heatsinks aren't so flexable on orientation.

Heatspreaders aren't an issue for me as I tend to rip them off. Last I heard heatspreaders tend to hinder cooling rather than actually improve it.

Yeah, I've my 14cm case fans at the top of my case so I have the heat sink configured to blow the air straight up into them. Likewise, when not gaming my case fans a turned completely off so things are nice and quiet. This configuration helps.

Doing this you do need to install RAM prior to installing the heatsink. It's great to have the abillity to mount the heatsink in any direction you like. Many heatsinks aren't so flexable on orientation.

Heatspreaders aren't an issue for me as I tend to rip them off. Last I heard heatspreaders tend to hinder cooling rather than actually improve it.

yea, but pulling them off voids the warranty in almost every case and can rip memory IC's in half.

This or the Thermaltake Frio? Not sure which to use to cool a 2500k. Nice review :)

I haven't tested the Frio, so I really can't make the call between the 2. Does the Frio generally sell for less than $30 delivered? Because that is what the 212+ is selling for. The cheapest I found the Frio selling for with a quick search was around $45-50. And at that price, I would go with a Thermalright MUX120 for your 2500k.

this thing cools my i7 920 around 33C and thats with the horrible stock paste and positioning the fan to the rams. Im lazy and i really should get in there and add another fan an some AS5 but oh well. Picked mine up for $16.50 on ebay cause of the paypal advantage coupon.

this thing cools my i7 920 around 33C and thats with the horrible stock paste and positioning the fan to the rams. Im lazy and i really should get in there and add another fan an some AS5 but oh well. Picked mine up for $16.50 on ebay cause of the paypal advantage coupon.

idles mean nothing...

Back