• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CrossHair Formula IV Random Problem! - ANYONE PLEASE HELP !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ComputerSecrets

Registered
First Of All I apologize if this post is in the wrong place.. I am brand New Just Registered In Hope That some knowledgeable person may have the heart and time to help me.

I have paid over $1,000. To build My Brand NEW system and It Dosent Work Right. PLEASE ANYONE HELP YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE AGONY AND STRESS THIS PROBLEM IS CAUSING ME. Imagine buying a brand new car your driving on the highway and every 2 hours it just completely turns off. It's just a real pain in the rear.. Please anyone I would REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Ok, This Is A Very Random Problem, I really need someone who know's what there doing. I have been having these random freezes well every since I built the computer. And Well Logically .. I went down the list ..
maby cpu is over heating ... switched cooling to a crosshair 850 water cooling.
well maby memory was bad... switched 2 (4) 2GB Flare's 1800.
TOTAL MEMORY: 8 GB
Well maby motherboard was defective.. Replaced it with another one from factory.
Only parts I haven't touched..
thermalake power 550w,
hard drive 1 terr western digital 7200rpm,
And Video: msi 250 gtx nvidia
cpu - Phenom 6 core 1090T black edition ...
Everything is updated software wise.. Using 64bit Win 7 for operation system (CURRENTLY) , have tried to switch O.S Also, Nothing Worked Went to 32 Win 7. Haven't tried Win Xp But I think I recall Trying Vista and Problem still occurred.

I don't understand why it's been freezing... I mean I know a little bit of hardware.. Im a webdesigner and studing programing. But I don't know alot about hardware conflicts.

When it freezes... no BSOD .. nothing .. just hard freeze nothing responds ... hardware dosent respond ... mouse,keyboard, moniter completely freezes. Can't Move Mouse.. Hit every possible combination of keys. Been having this problem for months... Tryed to get help from everyone I could. and nothing.

If you have any suggestions or need to know any other information let me know!

my thoughts: I think it might be video card... because coincidently ... every time I run extensive graphics .. I seem to hear a noise like it's pulling extra ventilation because the fan seems to spin faster on it... and every time It' freezing Im multi tasking with sound and video... yes It dose freeze idleing also .. when Im not doing anything just takes ALOT longer.. like it will freeze maby 1-2 days when im idleing and then 1-3 hours when im using graphics and sound ..

If you have any idea suggestion, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I am literally open to anything at all !! I promise write me something I will write back.. If you have a link or something you want me to read, study look at and cant post here.. {removed email -hokie}

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
Welcome to OCF. No need to pay, we love helping people reguardless.

Was that power supply new?

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/default.php
Try running that program its going to use 100% of your cpu to stress test it. most likely it will be nothing wrong with your cpu, just this program will draw a lot of power to be able to test your PSU. I want to say most likely your cpu is not strong enough...

with that in mind you might also want to check out this program to make sure your temperatures are ok. (although this is most likely not an issue)

http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

After that i would also go to www.hdtune.com , download HDtune and run a error test, Basically if you get and red squares you probably have a bad sector on ur hard drive....

Thank You For Such A Quick Reply You Guys Are Freaking Asome !! I know I don't Have to .. its Just I really do appreciate it and would really like to help someone who helps me somehow to say thank you and show my appreciation. I will try that when I get home around 7 p.m. central eastern time. Any other suggestions please let me know I will try everything at once. Im kind of a late night person. Thanks if you have any other idea's,thoughts, suggestions, or comments you might have at all please let me know I really really do appreciate it and I will reply to every single post

Last edited:
Hello ComputerSecrets, welcome to OCF! A couple quick things. First, please don't avoid the swear filter with dollar signs (or anything else really); they exist for a reason, and that reason is not so they may be avoided.

Second, I edited your email out of your post. Trust me, you don't want that in an open forum for spammers to grab.

Third, I moved the post to AMD Motherboards; folks can better help you in the specific sub-forum for your product.

Last, there is no need to offer up money; I've edited that part out too. Our community loves to help people and are happy to do so. If you wish to pay for computer services you can, but not here; at least until you can make use of our classifieds (see here for how that happens).

Now, on to your problem.

I don't see where you've manually set RAM voltages and timings. That's a very good place to start. Check your BIOS and set the RAM voltage and timings per the manufacturer specifications. I'd also pull two of those sticks of RAM out for troubleshooting purposes; it's harder to stabilize with all four DIMMs full, rather than using only two.

What's the specific model number of your RAM?

Thank You Very Much For Your Comment !! Will Try That Also! RAM Setting 8-8-8-24 Voltage ... 1.65 stock suppose to be 1.6 and I have it set to pull more voltage if needed. I've had this problem for a while.. It's Just driving me nuts. That Was One Of the first Things I have Done. Please If Anything Else At ALL hit's Your Mind Please Let Me Know I Will Try It ! It's Not the fact of wanting To Pay for service .. You misunderstood. I am soo thankful I want to show my appreciation ... it's not a payment that Im Giving the money to help me .. it's an expression of gratitude. Like A Thank You Very Much I appreciate it. but my appologies for the work or trouble I have given or caused for you.

It was nothing, really - any work involved was clicking a couple buttons. No need to stress, or pay in gratitude. You are now part of our community, and we enjoy helping people in our community. Just relax, come back with a little more information (exact RAM model number is important, and settings you've tried would be helpful as well) and we'll try to get you straightened out.

Once Again Thank You Soo Much You Don't Understand How Much I Appreciate The Help! I Can't Stress My Gratitude Enough.

FROM DIRECT INVOICE ORIGINAL:

1 x ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
1 x AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
SIDE NOTE: (MEMORY I USED WHEN I FIRST GOT THE MOTHERBOARD) 1 x Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3K2/4GR (WAS STILL HAVING SAME PROBLEM- WHICH IS WHY I SWITCHED RAM)
1 x Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
2 x G.SKILL Flare 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Desktop Memory Model F3-14400CL9D-4GBFLS

Now we're in business. The Flare sticks you have are rated for DDR3-1800 / 9-9-9-24. You mentioned 8-8-8 before, so that could very well cause your freeze ups.

Try this when you get home - pull two sticks of RAM out of the machine. manually set Vdimm to 1.65V. Set the RAM speed for DDR3-1800 and set the four primary timings (in order, top to bottom) 9-9-9-24. Leave everything else on auto. See if that fixes the freezing.

EDIT - Saw your post. Definitely don't try tighter, that won't work for sure and might not even boot. Looser can have adverse affects as well (though it's rare). Set them as they're supposed to be set and try with just two sticks. If that's stable, you know you need to work on the IMC (integrated memory controller) to get it to play nice with four sticks.

ComputerSecrets, please put your system info in your "Sig" so that it shows up at the bottom of each post you make. That way as community members join in the discussion to help you they will have ready reference to the system info. I will attach a pic of how to do that.

Second, you need to collect a few software tools that will be a great aid to both you and those helping you. To that end, please download and install: CPU-z, HWMonitor, and Prime95. The first two are reporting tools that tell us much about your system hardware, bios settings, voltgages, fan speeds and temperatures. The last one is a program that puts your system under stress to check for stability.

Third, take a deep breath and relax! The world still turns.

Fourth, welcome to OC Forums!

Now we're in business. The Flare sticks you have are rated for DDR3-1800 / 9-9-9-24. You mentioned 8-8-8 before, so that could very well cause your freeze ups.

Try this when you get home - pull two sticks of RAM out of the machine. manually set Vdimm to 1.65V. Set the RAM speed for DDR3-1800 and set the four primary timings (in order, top to bottom) 9-9-9-24. Leave everything else on auto. See if that fixes the freezing.

If that doesn't work, try setting the ram speed to DDR3 1333. A lot of systems just won't run ram as fast as it advertised much over 1333, especially when you have four sticks and an amount over 4 gb. AMD integrated memory controllers are only rated at 1333.

Will have trouble with the Third, take a deep breath and relax! :comp: The world still turns naturally very busy person, heads always spinning. Little Sleep, Alot of Work.. And well this problem left me half nuts already because I work with computers all day (9-12 hrs a day in front of a computer) and well .. that freezing damages a person's brain after a while... :bang head :rain: :screwy:

... as far as Setting the ram it's already on 9-9-9-24 ... everything else already on auto .. it's manually set to 1800 ... still with problem..

have never tried to set it to 1333. it's just cause I read alot that that board was specifically made to handle Over-Clocking and well.. the sticks naturally handle 1800 was specifically made for that board and processor.. So I thought It wouldn't be a problem. but I will DEFIANTLY try 1333. Thank You Good Idea Please If Anything Else Pops Into Your Mind Keep Them Comming!

Last edited:
have never tried to set it to 1333. it's just cause I read alot that that board was specifically made to handle Over-Clocking and well.. the sticks naturally handle 1800 was specifically made for that board and processor.. So I thought It wouldn't be a problem. but I will DEFIANTLY try 1333. Thank You Good Idea Please If Anything Else Pops Into Your Mind Keep Them Comming!

It may be more of a limitation with the CPU Integrated Memory controller than it is with the motherboard. Some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum will tell you that AMD CPUs don't benefit much anyway from the extra memory band width above 1333. The smarter way to go with really good, high bandwidth memory like you have may be to run it slower but with tighter timings. AMD CPUs may not be memory bandwidth hogs but they really thrive on tight timings. But first, try the experiment of lowering the speed to 1333 with stock timings and see if that helps with the instability.

NOTE: Just Gave "Thanks" To Everyone Who Took The There Time To Make A Suggestion Or Comment And Took There Time To Try To Help Me!

Trents THANK YOU SOO MUCH !!! I WILL DEFINITELY TRY THAT !!! PLEASE recommend me some TIMING'S you might find fit to try to set the memory to AND OF COURSE IF THAT DOESN'T WORK any other Possibility's that it might be?

As far as recommended timings at 1333, a quick and dirty method for that is to download and install CPU-z. Look under the "SPD" tab for manufacturer recommended JEDEC timings for different ram speeds. The trick from there is to take that info and apply it to your bios settings for memory timing as the labels may differ between CPU-z and bios. Actually, it might be easier just to put the bios on auto timings and let it choose the timings for different speeds. Then open up CPU-z "Memory" and "SPD" tabs and compare what the "Memory" tab reports with what the JEDEC recommendation for that speed is in the "SPD" tab. Bios will usually (but not always) assign appropriate timings.

Good lord. My phone literally could not get to the bottom of that. Please delete the wall of text. What you want to do is take a screenshot of cpuz. Open five instances and put them in two rows, then take a screenshot. Or do it one by one. i
It would be good to have the cpu, memory, motherboard and spd tabs.

ComputerSecrets,

What in the world was all that text from CPU-z? That's pretty useless to us.

As hokiealumnus said, we need pics of the screenshots taken of the CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". To do screen capture, use the "Snipping Tool" in Windows "Accessories". It has a nice cropping tool that will allow you to capture only what part of the monitor screen you really want. Save the capture file to desktop or wherever you like to save pics. Then at the bottom of the new post window click on the "Go Advanced" button. Then scroll down to "Manage Attachments" and click on it. The click on "Choose File" and then "Upload".

Back