• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Will a TX650W be enough power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lbpktdonas

Registered
So I bought a GS600 for my gaming needs. However I cannot crossfire with that psu. Newegg has tx650 for a dollar more... My question is should I buy it and return the gs 600? and will this tx650 be enough to crossfire two ati hd 6000 series...i just bought a 6950 and thinking in the near future buy a second one to crossfire. But will this new psu tx650 be enough power? Thanks I would love to order it in the next couple of hours please help!!!!!!

Last edited:
So I bought a GS600 for my gaming needs. However I cannot crossfire with that psu. Newegg has tx650 for a dollar more... My question is should I buy it and return the gs 600? and will this tx650 be enough to crossfire two ati hd 6000 series...i just bought a 6950 and thinking in the near future buy a second one to crossfire. But will this new psu tx650 be enough power? Thanks I would love to order it in the next couple of hours please help!!!!!!

For one 6950, either power supply is fine. For Xfire, and if you plan to overclock both CPU and GPU's, there is not a lot of overhead running duals with a 650.

Isnt the GS a lower end of the Corsair series?

I would think the 650TX would handle 2 6950's without a lot of headroom as RT mentioned. It depends on your system as well. If you are rocking a highly overclocked quad core and benchmark then maybe a 750 is in order. If you are just overclocking a little all around, than a quality 650W will be enough.

Isnt the GS a lower end of the Corsair series?

I would think the 650TX would handle 2 6950's without a lot of headroom as RT mentioned. It depends on your system as well. If you are rocking a highly overclocked quad core and benchmark then maybe a 750 is in order. If you are just overclocking a little all around, than a quality 650W will be enough.

Yes, the GS is a two-year warranty lower end Corsair, lower priced but still a decent unit for an average user. I like that X series Seasonic you have! Is that a 560W?

I wont be doing any overclocking since i dont know how to do it...and I dont wanna mess my computer. But who knows if I get the courage to do it I might. My current specs are

Mobo msi 890 micro atx g65
cpu AMD x6 1100T
GPU xfx 6950
and the above mentioned psu
Patriot 8gs

Well they also have a SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply for double the price of the corsair. They have it on sale for 130Dlls. What do you guys think?

No fancy fans, no water loop, no CCD lighting... The Corsair 650TX will be fine.

But this makes me wonder why you even want to go Crossfire... A single 6950 will handle anything you throw at it at 1920x1080 resolution. By the time you need another one, another different single card would likely be a better purchase.

EDIT: I own the X750 and its a GREAT PSU. That type of PSU isnt exactly made for someone who isnt overclocking and looking for the best of the best. The TX650/750 will be just fine for your needs.

I guess I forgot to mention my case is a haf 922 with all five fans running but not really fancy...the only two extra fans that i bought that are not stock are two cooler master excalibur. No fancy heatsink or anything else.

Yeah I was just thinking if I would need it in the future. Maybe I will get the courage to mess with the pc. Or when the time comes to upgrade i would like to have a psu that will still works. I guess thats my thought i wanna have something that would last me (hoping) for a long time.

Those fans wont matter, really...You dont have high powered cut your finger off type fans that really use power.

The 650TX will last you for a long time...if you are paranoid about the response given from our advice, get a 750TX. or if youwant a modular PSU, go 750HX.

Sweet thanks for the advice. The thing is that i have until saturday to return my gs600 so thats why I was looking into ordering them today. From the seasonic mention above or the corsair xh 750 or the tx750 which one is the most trusted one?

I will repeat what I have already mentioned:

Seasonic X750 - best of the best, you dont need to spend the money on this.
Corsair 750HX - A great modular choice.
Corsair 750TX - A great not modular choice.
Corsair 650TX - Another good choice and the most cost effective for your current and future needs.

Yeah I was just thinking if I would need it in the future. Maybe I will get the courage to mess with the pc. Or when the time comes to upgrade i would like to have a psu that will still works. I guess thats my thought i wanna have something that would last me (hoping) for a long time.

That 6950 is a very good card and doubling them up isn't cheap. I'm not a fan of Xfire or SLI and when you get 'er built and running, you'll see.

You need to seriously decide whether you are going to double your vid cards up. Most who contemplate doing this "later" never do it. If that's the case, the 650TX is your best choice and price.

Well after your guys' great advice i will get the tx650. I only use my computer for pretty much WoWing and simple surf...most of my daily computer use is on another computer. I do like to have the best when it comes to components... but I think for the five more dollars an extra 50 watts its worth it. Thanks for your great advice again.

Back