• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running Tualatin on CuMine MB w/o Powerleap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jae87 - Just tried it again at my own risk.

Put the same Tualatin 1.0A with only the 3 pins removed in an Asus S370DL-133 unmodified slotket , with a Cooler Master 27.7 CFM heatsink, and installed in my
BX6r2.
Set the bios for 133FSB with 1/4 PCI divider, 1.75v.
Booted right into windows and is now running great - same as in my BE6-2

This is a pretty cheap upgrade for approx $65 for a
1.33G speed with a 256k full-speed cache - that is IF you happen to have and Asus, Abit, or MSI coppermine slotket.
The Tualatin 1.2 is little bit more expensive and seems to be less likely to reach 133FSB, whereas the 1.0A seems to give a pretty good chance, and you 133 for your RAM.

Add an ATA66 or 100 controller card and you're pretty well up to date - unless you want DDR.

Going to try it on the BH6 I built for my daughter, the first chance I get.

I think it's useful to know what motherboards have been demonstrated to work with this fantastic 3pin mod.

I still can't seem to post my sandra benchmark jpg's - used the browser, find the file and open - and won't post.

ol' man said:

Nice work though, too bad you questioned everyones advice here. We have been dealing with this mod for some time now here.

I have owned 6 tualatin cored chips now and I have found that some of them really did not like vcores above 1.7v. Even now with super cooling to about -5 deg. C my chip seems to like 1.65v all the way to 1.76GHz. If I tried 1.8v @ 1.76GHz it would not even boot. Same with HS/air and 133fsb/1.6GHz. 1.8v would usually not even boot. Maybe a really good burnin will help this situation.

As for the IHS, I water cool and I suggest you keep the IHS on if that is your plan. With H2O cooling load and idle temps really do not vary with my cel-t. Not sure if that will be the way it is with other H2O cooling appy's but that is the way it is with mine.

ol'man, I am using an Alpha 6035PAL which fits nicely on all my lapped coppermines, so no problem with taking off the IHS. with coppermines I found superficial lapping knocks 8 degrees celsius off the temp under load, deep lapping even more. I expect similar things from removing the IHS... ;)

btw, my questions are still open and I would love to know the answers, namely what does the Tualatin core need vtt_pwrgd for in the first place, and what is the reason for some motherboards to route AK36 to vid4 which is not provided by any socketed intel cpu. Also my observation still holds that with the Asus slotkey I didn't need those bridges which are quite fiddly, whereas with the CUBX I needed both... :)

sammy said:
Has anybody that removed the 3 pins from their CPU tried it in a Tualatin motherboard to see if it still runs normal?

in this context, I can confirm that the reverse operation is working (putting a coppermine in a socket with AN3, AJ3, AK4 missing).

Re: abit bf6 and cel 1.2a

G Hunter said:
Yes!!!!!! Thank-you chosenfool and all the guys who helped make this
happen. My abit bf6 and abit sloket!!! are now up and running did what chosenfool said and its on now at 1200 and running prime95. Will bump it up later and see what I can get out of it
when it first posted it said 800 p3 when I set it to 100mhz it
said 176 p3 but sandra cpu bench was 1204mhz. Voltage shows o.k. in bios at 1.48 set to 1.5 on sloket!!! man got to love it!!!!!
well I will let you guys know how it goes I just took sloket cover of and isolated an3 ak4 aj3 with small peice of black tape and held my breath when I put the power to it. Be careful if you take
this cover off mine was quite brittle. well its been used in alot of my prodjects and I think it has paid for its self lol
Later and thanks again!!!
G Hunter

Hi guys just wanted to add that I had to put the ak4 to ak26 wire
on to get this thing going right. When I put it on my network it was freezing sometimes when it went online. and that was at any speed I tryed. now its seems fine its at [email protected]
later

Great topic folks!!! Boy, where to start?!

@ebc

Thanks for the explanation on the GTL stuff, that cleared up some things for me. Also thanks *a lot* for the great hack (I think you and your Asian friends are behind this discovery?).

@martinus

1)

"what does the Tualatin core need vtt_pwrgd for in the first place"

Very good question.

From my earlier reading and (rather limited) understanding of the various spec sheets, I thought the Tualatins absolutly needed vtt_pwrgd to fire up at all.

This is obviously wrong since it runs (on some equipment) with the vtt_pwrgd pin insulated.

So I reread the specs (Celeron on 0.13 micron
process Datasheet, p. 20 ff).

Apparently, vtt_pwrgd is there to tell what Intel calls the "platform" (ie the mobo/chipset...) that the levels on the VID and the BSEL (to select bus frequency 100/133) pins have settled down and are ready for "sampling". I think they do this to prevent the CPU running at some random voltage and frequency if for some reason the sampling of these pins came to early in the power up sequence and the things had not settled at the value they ought to have.

What I don't understand is why the CPU has vtt_pwrgd labled as an "input" on the spec sheets. I'd think the chipset (because it samples BSEL) and the VRM (because it samples VID) would need to know when "vtt_pwr" is good, so that they know it's time to sample these. Hm. The VRM is a strange case anyway, since the way I figure this, it's actually telling itself power is good (not that that is impossible, but why in the 9 hells does the CPU need to know...).

2) "what is the reason for some motherboards to route AK36 to vid4"

What do you call vid4? Way I see it, there was vid0-vid3 on previous S370 mobos. If you say vid4=VID25mV what's the point?

Anyway -- looking at the Semtech data ebc posted: if that's the voltage controller used by Asus on your board, then no wonder it's getting those high voltages. Intel uses the VID25mV to have 25 mV granularity while Semtech uses this as a switch to go over 2.0V.

Question is why is AK36 not connected to ground as per the spec sheet? I think it's because the spec sheet is far younger than the mobo :) and perhaps Asus anticipated some higher clocked and volted PPGA celerons that never materialiesed.

--- Phew. That was longish. I'll sample this again tomorrow and see if it makes more sense. Vtt_clue_good isn't up yet, for which I'd like to blame Bassano Grappa ;).

good on ya, DSTA, we seem to have the same understanding of the data sheet. :)

DSTA said:

What do you call vid4?

vid4 to me is the corresponding pin of the VRM specification up to 8.4. It only exists on slot 1 according to intel, and serves to select voltages 2.1V and higher. Of course it is present on any VRM IC up to version 8.4, and the funny thing is, some socket mobos seem to route it through to pin AK36 which should be GND according to intel.

I have also checked the VIA C3 data sheets, where AK36 is specified as GND, too.

Re: about dual tualatins on 440BX

jae87 said:

A catch of running dual tualatins on bx boards:

To sum it up
Dual PIII-S on a BX board is an expensive proposition even if it is possible. Especially considering the non overclockability of most dual BX boards past 133fsb.
A dual cel-t is still questionable. I, we, need the help from those who understand how BR0 and BR1 functions. At the moment i'm thinking it's more complex than covering and connecting pins to awaken SMP on the cel-t, IF at all possible.

What I think make some sense at the moment is, cover pin X2 from touching the socket/slotket, and wire up a line to pin AJ3 (which itself is also covered from contacting the socket/slotket).

Yes, Dual PIII-S = too expensive. Dual tualatin celeron 1.1A would make overclocked to 133FSB about 2933Mhz (2x ~1466). And THAT would be CHEAP and FAST.

1.1A -> 1.466 is pretty sure o/c with voltage adjustment
going 3.2 GHz wouldn't be impossible with good 1.2Ghz ones.

Y and there have been only speculations if tualatin-celeron works smp. Not confirmed.

Maybe Ol'Man or some1 would know more about the electronics... I really can't comment on the electronics part :)

jae87, I don't have a dual board myself, but u have or u're going to build one? Tualatin-celeron's would be cheaper than p3's anyway and faster.

martinus said:
good on ya, DSTA, we seem to have the same understanding of the data sheet. :)

German saying: "two fools, one idea" ;).

Perhaps it's time to re-read the S370 Universal Platform design guide...

vid4 to me is the corresponding pin of the VRM specification up to 8.4. It only exists on slot 1 according to intel, and serves to select voltages 2.1V and higher. Of course it is present on any VRM IC up to version 8.4, and the funny thing is, some socket mobos seem to route it through to pin AK36 which should be GND according to intel.

I have also checked the VIA C3 data sheets, where AK36 is specified as GND, too.

Good idea on checking the C3 data sheet. I always forget about those. Speaking of VIA: I've noticed that Asus says not all their "Slotkets" are compatible with VIA chipsets. Anyone an idea why this could be the case? Don't have an actual problem with that, just curious.

Back to the VRM issue: you are right that AK36 should be GND according to the spec sheet, but perhaps AK36 was a VID pin in some earlier Intel spec sheet or design guide or perhaps an application note from the VRM supllier.

IMVHO mobo makers don't think half as much about their products as we enthousiasts would believe them to do. They got a working VRM design from a slot 1 mobo in the drawer, they'll re-use it if they can slap it on a S370 board.

-#-

@jae87:

GND (ground? i wonder if this is the same as Vss??

Yup. I think so.

AGTL+ I/O and AGTL I/O ...

I think the "+" denotes the older GTL spec (1.5V vtt), without "+" it's the newer spec introduced with Tualatin.

According to Intel, certain steppings of Coppermine are compatible with both the new AGTL and the older AGTL+ spec, so that's probably why they use both terms AGTL+ and AGTL in the spec sheet.

About DYN_OE:

"The DYN_OE allows the BSEL and VID signals to be driven out from the processor.
When this signal is low (a condition that will occur if the Intel® Pentium® III
processor is installed in a non-supported platform), the VID and BSEL signals will
be tri-stated and the platform pull-up resistors will set the VID and BSEL to all ‘1’s’
which is a safe setting. This signal must be connected to a 1k? resistor to VTT.
Refer to the platform design guide for implementation detail and resistor tolerance."

If I understand this correctly, this is another way to make sure Tualatins don't start up on older boards. If VID is set to "all 1" this tells the VRM "no juice, 0V".

About Tualatin with 256K cache and SMP:

I'm pretty pessimistic about it. Don't think it will work with anything other than a P3-S -- would be a dream come true for me though, I've got a GA-6BXD somewhere and am currently using an MS-6120 (with 450 MHz P2s)...

To get an understanding of how the BREQ stuff works, here's a piece from Ars Technica.

Now if you look at the Tualatin Celeron spec sheet, BR1, which was on pin X2 for the P3-S, is labled as "reserved". Could be that it's still there, but could also be disabled.

Funnily, for the P3 Tualatin with 256K cache (which also has no official SMP), the datasheet still lists BR1 as available and maps this to pin X2, just as it was for Coppermine and is now for P3-S.

I fear this is an omission in the spec sheet, though: IMO, Intel used the re-design they had to do to shrink coppermine to 0.13 as opportunity to cripple or otherwise disable SMP on those chips for good, just like they did with Celeron-II.

Re: Re: about dual tualatins on 440BX

doer said:

Yes, Dual PIII-S = too expensive. Dual tualatin celeron 1.1A would make overclocked to 133FSB about 2933Mhz (2x ~1466). And THAT would be CHEAP and FAST.

What kind of calculation :eh?:

A dual processor computer is always slower than a SP in all non MP application..
You have some gain whith a dual, only if you have MP application..
An example...
If you have an iterative calculation, is impossible obtain the result at step (N+1) if you don't have the result of the step N..
This kind of operations are obviously sequencials
2933Mhz (2x ~1466) = A DREAM :D

Did anyone tryed this trick on a NON-Cumine -ready mobo?
(ie Abit BP6 dual s370 or BM6 s370)

PPGA-FCPGA2.jpg

i's just an idea born form the cumine and the tually tricks
used together....:p

to martinus:

a man from taiwan oc forums attempt this mod before you on his CUBX V1.02 mobo,first time he open an3¡¢aj3¡¢ak4 and didn't post as you.so he connect Vid25mv(vid4) to Vid0 and get it post,core voltage is 1.45v,i don't suggest connect Vid25mv(vid4) to vid0,may be Vid0 set to logical 0 at this mobo,for other mobo may be not,he didn't connect ak4 to ak26.I just point out his mod is different from yours and also can do.

one more thing,i don't know what cpu he had,c 1.2ga or c 1ga?some people connect Vid25mv(vid4) to Vss get 1.45v,and some get 1.3v,i measure the c 1ga got the five voltage pin not even one connect to Vss,but i don't know what the c 1.2ga would be.i thought Vid0 and vid1 ought to connect to Vss in cpu internal ever,but in fact them not.may be some mobo can set the correct voltage logic,and some not,but i still doubt,because the old mobo don't recognize the tualatin,why it can set the correct voltage logic?it is possible that some cpu connect the Vid0 and vid1 to Vss in cpu internal,and some not.

belinassu -
This is a combination of the the 3 pin disconnect and, the converting and PPGA slotket to FCPGA mod posted by Tom Pabst at this link I posted earlier:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q1/000229/

I have not had a chance to try it and I'm running out of stuff to experiment with. I sure hope somebody does this because I have a bunch of the PPGA slotkets, as I'm sure others do.

The difference between yours and his is that you added the AM34 to AK36, and the AK4 to AK26 connections.

This really looks like a good idea to try.

Does anyone know if the BP6 had a 1/4 pci?
Twin celeratins at 1.33.....hmmm yummy!

ebc said:
to martinus:

a man from taiwan oc forums attempt this mod before you on his CUBX V1.02 mobo,first time he open an3¡¢aj3¡¢ak4 and didn't post as you.so he connect Vid25mv(vid4) to Vid0 and get it post,core voltage is 1.45v,i don't suggest connect Vid25mv(vid4) to vid0,may be Vid0 set to logical 0 at this mobo,for other mobo may be not,he didn't connect ak4 to ak26.I just point out his mod is different from yours and also can do.

Thanks ebc, maybe it was just coincidence that it worked after I put the AK4-AH26 bridge in. Anyway, it is working now and I don't want to open it all up again. ;)

btw, I agree with you that it is safer to use Vss for pulling down Vid pins, even if other pins work as well. Thanks again for your help in these forums. :)

Back