• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running Tualatin on CuMine MB w/o Powerleap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ol' man said:

I would use anything sharp but be careful. Knife tip, small drill bit.

Are you doing this on a Powerleap adapter?

Forget your warranty after this!
Yes, it's a PowerLeap adapter and warranty is useless anyway as I bought it from overseas :eek:
Am I supposed to drill the hole all the way to bottom or just top bit? It looks the hole has a neck, above diameter is small and can barely fit the pin only.

ol' man said:
Only on the top part!
Ok, I did it. I covered the pin with cable strap as well as applied nail polish to double sure it's been completely blocked. I believe it was running at 1.8V as I've intended and immediately feel the heat rising up according the wind blowing from side of heatsink.
Started with 117MHz which I was able to run with 1.65V stable, no problem. 124MHz, it's good, got in Windows, used Sandra for CPU testing, it hang in CPU multimedia benchmarking...no good I thought. You can guess what's gonna happen in 133MHz, no POST at all.....

oh well, that's where my adventure ends for now, it's proved that 1.8V has given too much heat to get system stable. You are right Ol' man :) I guess I will stop here untill I can get all proper tools for PL-iPT3 adapter modding..

Quick question. I need to connet vid1 and vid2 to get 1.675v on a 1.0A right?

P3pinout.gif

Yep!

But if you are doing this mod you may need to connect different pins and I am not sure which ATM.

Instead of wiring the 2 pins together on the cpu itself I think it would be easier (well easier on a slocket) to cut the trace for VIPWRGD and solder the remaning VIPWRGD pin to PWRGD from the back of the slocket. Removing the pins is quite easy with the right tools but I think I will stick with using a floppy cable for shielding. If I can find another slocket with voltage adjustment I might try a tualeron in my P2B. Ol' man do you still have your decapetated celeron up for grabs?

Well, my 1.0a is due here today, but I think I may have already run into a big problem. My bios maxes out at an 8 multiplier, and I didn't see a 'default' setting.
No bios updates either...the last one was in late 2000.
Any ideas?

Update: Just got it. Its a phillipines chip, 7135a789-0128 sl5zf

I'll post again tonight when I get it home. If my mobo doesn't play nice, multiplier wise, I may be in the market for an ST6, or I may just unload this cpu.

For all you hopeful BX'ers, the multiplier issue may be the dealbreaker, pin hack or not.
Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Bender said:
Instead of wiring the 2 pins together on the cpu itself I think it would be easier (well easier on a slocket) to cut the trace for VIPWRGD and solder the remaning VIPWRGD pin to PWRGD from the back of the slocket. Removing the pins is quite easy with the right tools but I think I will stick with using a floppy cable for shielding. If I can find another slocket with voltage adjustment I might try a tualeron in my P2B. Ol' man do you still have your decapetated celeron up for grabs?

Nope!

If you are modding the slocket you should put a resistor on it so the vtt is at 1.25v for the tualatin. It would be interesting to see if the extra voltage though will help increase stability at higher FSB's though same as more voltage for the core does also.

I,m going to fit a Tualeron 10.A on a BX133

so i'll try to isolate the "red" pins and to connect VttPRGD to AK26 pin

but i saw that Vid 25mv (the pin called Vid4?) is in the place

of old cumine Vss so what Vss i should use to connect Vid 25mv?

Should i do other pin modifications?

thankyou! :)

Ruiner said:

For all you hopeful BX'ers, the multiplier issue may be the dealbreaker, pin hack or not.
Wish me luck.

I don't think multipler will be a problem sisce they are locked and what ever you choose it will be fixed at 10. But if you can work it it can give the speed wrong like : 5X200 :)

Good luck!

I was just fooling around with the slotket and my old p3 700.
I set the fsb/pci ratio to 'hrdw default' and multiplier to 3, then set the slotket to 133 fsb (instead of auto).
It booted at 933. I'll try the pin trick (nailpolish) on my 1.0a tonight and see how it goes.

Hi belinassu...non ti rispondo in italiano senno' qui si offendono ;)
The matter is: you have to insulate 3 pins(VIDS) and they are:
AN3, AK4 and AJ3 but at the same time you have to make a direct link between the AK4 vid and the AK26 one. How is it possible? Simple: making a mistake...I mean you can t connect the AK4 and AK26 on the MB or slotket background cause you disconnect the AK4 first so the only possible method is to directly apply a tiny insulated electrical wire on the cpu background. This means that the cpu must be seated a pair of mm higher on the socket in manner to don t damage the connection between the two vids.
Personally I DO NOT suggest to do this mod...
Un salutone ;)

First try with the nailpolish, no post. I pulled the chip and saw some uncovered areas on the pins, so I recoated them...they're drying now. This was pretty tricky...I painted with the end of a paper clip.

As far as the AK4 to AK26 connection, I'm stumped. I can't see how to make this connection with an insulated wire AND fit it in the slotket.

I'll give it another try after the polish dries, and then go for a wire wrap.

Ruiner said:
As far as the AK4 to AK26 connection, I'm stumped. I can't see how to make this connection with an insulated wire AND fit it in the slotket.

how about very fine enamelled copper wire? (SWG40 or finer, can get it from Radio Shack cheaply)

No I didn't do a Voltage mod (wire wrap) on the cpu. I set Vcore to 1.5 manually with the slotket jumpers. Do you think that this setting is not 'taking'?

I gave it a go with the wire jumper. I used a lead pulled from 4 wire phone cable. It didn't fit quite flush in the socket. Still no post.
I suppose I could go to Rad shack for the thin wire Soil mentioned.

I'm not sure if this failure is due to poor slocket seating, no 10x multiplier support in bios, Vcore, or poor pin coverage/wire contact.

I hope I didn't cook the CPU. My fallback is to pick up an ST6 or gigabyte. It depends how much my time is worth. It is only a 79 dollar chip (shipped) anyway. If I was naughty, I could RMA it....it is a retail chip. The nailpolish should come right off with acetone.

Ruiner said:
No I didn't do a Voltage mod (wire wrap) on the cpu. I set Vcore to 1.5 manually with the slotket jumpers. Do you think that this setting is not 'taking'?

I gave it a go with the wire jumper. I used a lead pulled from 4 wire phone cable. It didn't fit quite flush in the socket. Still no post.
I suppose I could go to Rad shack for the thin wire Soil mentioned.

I'm not sure if this failure is due to poor slocket seating, no 10x multiplier support in bios, Vcore, or poor pin coverage/wire contact.

I hope I didn't cook the CPU. My fallback is to pick up an ST6 or gigabyte. It depends how much my time is worth. It is only a 79 dollar chip (shipped) anyway. If I was naughty, I could RMA it....it is a retail chip. The nailpolish should come right off with acetone.

WOW DUDE! Have you not read what we have said about setting the vcore to 1.5 on the chip manually by disabling vid pin .25 and doing the other pins. If you don't from what I understand you will run your chip at 2.2v default. This is way too high! I think you have to use the older PIII vid pin settings but if you look at the pics from the other sites they will show you what to connect to get the desired vcores.

As for connecting ak4 to ak26, I would use the thinnest wire possible but make sure it is copper if possible. Also make sure it is covered or enamled. Phone wire is too thick. I ripped out a pin on one of my tualatins by using too thick of a wire. You also need to reem out the holes a little for the covered pins!

those enamelled copper wire has an insulation layer. Need to use cutter or eraser to rub off the layer for good contact. (Can test it with an ohm meter) In the US the standard may be AWG rather than SWG (UK standard?). But I think the larger the number the finer the wire. BTW such wire does not have plastic wrap.

Back