• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2001 - 2011: biggest vga failure of the decade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those mobile 8xxx series (8600M?) chips need to be on that list, for breaking so many laptops.

Those mobile 8xxx series (8600M?) chips need to be on that list, for breaking so many laptops.

The Quadro analogue... the Quadro 110M, I think, died on a number of my Latitude D620s. Awful, awful chips. The same has happened on a number of Quadro NVS 295s in various workstations, too. I don't think it's as much a chip design issue as it is a manufacturing issue somewhere along the way. Very cut-rate, and fantastically unreliable. Either way, the result is the same - the consumer is on endless warranty calls, or if you don't have warranty, is just screwed. I've jumped entirely to AMD (for workstations) and Intel onboard (on laptops) organization-wide simply because of many Nvidia cards' still-unresolved longevity issues.

Uh oh, I think it's a NVS295 in our rather mission-critical workstation... I'll check on Tues.

Uh oh, I think it's a NVS295 in our rather mission-critical workstation... I'll check on Tues.

I'm on my third on my own Precision T3500. I've had 3 others need replacements, too. This is with 15 machines, tops, with the NVS 295. That's a horrific failure rate.

FWIW, the NVS 285 and 290 have always worked fabulously. Something about the 295 is just b0rked. HP workstation users complain about the same phenomena...

Code:
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [Quadro NVS 295] (rev a1)

Crap ...

Any idea how long they tend to last, before kicking the bucket? This machine has been on pretty much 24/7 for about 18 months, with only the occasional reboot.

EDIT: It's a Dell T7500, not that it matters.

It's variable. I've had 3 months to about a year and a half before failure; it's quite a spread.

Just had another one croak at the end of last week in my environment. Fun. I took the heat sink off just out of curiosity. Manufacturer print screened on the PCB?

Foxconn.

Oh. I understand now.

Probably the FX5200, the DX9 card that was too slow to play any DX9 games.

I bought that card right when it first came out for like $130 to replace my Geforce 2 MX400 because the guy at the computer store convinced me it would be much faster. It was not faster at all. Since then I never bought any computer equipment without doing my own research on forums like this one.

Back