• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32 bit vista with 6990

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illuknisaa

Registered
I was wondering how will 6990 behave under 32 bit os if using fullhd eyefinity configuration.

I will propably encounter slightly poorer performance right?

I don't think it will be possible to use a 6990 in a 32bit system mainly for the fact that you can't have more VRAM than DRAM and 32bit only supports 3.25gb while the 6990 has 4gb, hopefully someone can confirm if it's true.

I looked at AMD's website and they do have a Win 7/Vista 32 bit Driver for the 6990 so I guess it's possible. Why don't you have 64 bit? I mean it's a $700 graphics card with 3 monitors, you should have at least 8gb if you are running a rig that expensive. It will slow down and again I think there will be an issue with you having more VRAM than RAM. I'd do a fresh 64 bit install when you get your card so it will run at peak performance. Also your CPU should be highly clocked if you want to avoid any bottlenecking issues, around 3.6ghz at least.

I under the impression that vram is it separate from windows use and is only used for gpu's own processes.

And I don't have 64 bit because I don't have any money (curretly I do but not after eyefinity arrives)

And how does performance improve if I get 8gb instead of 4gb (1 or 2 seconds doesn't matter in desktop use)

If you have a genuine copy then Microsoft will mail you the 64 bit version. Don't pay $100 just to get it 64 bit. If you want it faster then download the 64 bit version from pirate bay and use your genuine key. I'm not advocating Pirating if you indeed have a genuine version of the 32 bit. The 32 bit and 64 bit are identical except for the fact that it's 64 bit.

About the VRAM and RAM. VRAM is only used by the GPU. But sometimes the GPU can use RAM from the system but usually only does it with cheap or onboard Graphics cards. I've heard before that you need more or equal RAM compared to VRAM. If you have 3gb or 2gb of RAM and 4gb of VRAM I would suspect that would offset the balance. Again I've heard it from the past and I'm not 100% sure if it's true. But get the 64 bit version of Windows. IF you bought Windows 7 then you are entitled to 32 bit and 64 bit. Screw Microsoft if you have to, just install the 64 bit version so you don't have to worry at all. And you will get a little performance boost.

About having 4gb to 8gb, it won't really help that much with gaming but in Video rendering and Photoshop it would. I'm upgrading to 8gb just to be a little more future proof. 4gb used to be large, now 8gb is soon going to become the standard with how the prices are dropping. I'd definitely suggest getting 2x4gb so you can upgrade to 16gb down the line.

So I can get 64 bit vista for free? Asum! Does it matter if I got oem edition (I'm original manufacturer)?

After reserching I found out that it is no longer possible to accuire 64 bit vista legally so it seems I need to buy 7.

Back