• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC *** READ THIS FIRST ***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was really hoping this link Hokie just wrote would stay at the TOP of the current posts, in BIG BIG red BLING letters, and not buried in the sticky link. We know how little peeps start there. They spend 20 min typing the first question that are so easily answered by spending 20 minutes reading. Saves ALL of us time and effort..
:attn:
So, can it become the first post forever in the posts? And not lost somewhere?:confused:
I sticked it, put some capital letter text with asterisks and made it the only yellow-text thread (frontpage), but you know how stickies are. I fear it will receive less exposure than a random thread. Unfortunately you can't format subject lines with color/bold. Hope this helps a little at least.

Good Work Buddy :thup:
Thank you very much!

robertcutshall1978
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

Honestly, next time you do a tear down, take the thing out. It's not going to do you a bit of good. If you have enough flow, your temps will be fine. If you don't, they'll be too high. If your pump stops, you'll know when your CPU throttles. All they do for you is restrict flow IMHO.

Also, don't bother with memory unless you just want it for looks. Modern memory doesn't get hot enough to justify the restriction you'd put in your loop. At least IMHO. :thup:

Honestly, next time you do a tear down, take the thing out. It's not going to do you a bit of good. If you have enough flow, your temps will be fine. If you don't, they'll be too high. If your pump stops, you'll know when your CPU throttles. All they do for you is restrict flow IMHO.

Also, don't bother with memory unless you just want it for looks. Modern memory doesn't get hot enough to justify the restriction you'd put in your loop. At least IMHO. :thup:

ok thanks for the info:soda:

Dude Jeremy...you've totally outdone yourself with this one :clap:

Everytime I read something I wanted to criticize, I'd continue on, and you'd address my concern in the next paragraph. Very well written, and exceptionally thorough.

The only criticisms fall on your editors; the titles/headings/sub-headings could be improved a little IMO.

Great work :thup:

Thank you very much! I'm as much to blame for those items as any. We're somewhat limited with our heading options and some look too similar to others. Now, if you were referring to their wording, I'm happy to entertain changes. Let me know what you had in mind. :salute:

Ah, a couple more things.

Mention running multiple pumps in series.

When talking about tubing, I would mention the difference between 1/16" walls and 1/8" walls, the advantages/disadvantages of each size....and you might also mention that (contrary to popular belief) the most kink resistant size is 3/8" ID 5/8" OD :cool:

Last edited:
Ah, one more thing. When talking about tubing, I would mention the difference between 1/16" walls and 1/8" walls, the advantages/disadvantages of each size....and you might also mention that (contrary to popular belief) the most kink resistant size is 3/8" ID 5/8" OD :cool:

I've heard the best is 1/2"x5/8" with antikink coils :shrug:

I'm talking about bare tube (no coils)....bringing coils into the discussion might change things a bit ;)

....or are you just being a PITA? :p

....or are you just being a PITA? :p

I'm appalled, I would never... ;)

But no, I'm actually genuinely interested in what tubing combination gives you the best turn radius...haven't seen much on it since the testing over at XS, which didn't include any kink coil testing :)

The thicker the walls, the less likely to kink.

3/8" ID 5/8" OD has 2/8" 1/8" thick walls. 1/2" (4/8") ID 5/8" OD has 1/8" 1/16" thick walls.

Last edited:

3/8" ID 5/8" OD has 2/8" (1/4") thick walls. 1/2" (4/8") ID 5/8" OD has 1/8" thick walls.
Actually, it's only half those numbers, 1/8" and 1/16" thick, because there are two walls per diameter. ;)

Adding coils to the outside changes that, though, so 1/16" thick tubing with coils, like 1/2-5/8", won't kink as easily as tubing with 1/8" walls but no coils.

3/8" ID 5/8" OD has 2/8" 1/8" thick walls. 1/2" (4/8") ID 5/8" OD has 1/8" 1/16" thick walls.

I think the reasoning is that the tubing itself will only bend so much, thinner tubing will bend more, so if you force it to not kink, you can get a tighter turn...

Back