• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC *** READ THIS FIRST ***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sure, that should be fine but I would check the head pressure ratings to be sure. They may have plenty high GPM ratings, but potentially very little head pressure. As long as that rating is good enough that you'll get at least 1LPM through the loop with the added restriction of the blocks you're fine.

With that caveat in place, the only advantage to actual water cooling pumps is the ability to easily secure fittings.

As far as plug-in pumps, fish tank / fountain pumps aren't what that refers to. There are Eheim pumps adapted for water cooling use such as this one. They're expensive and used rather rarely, which is why they received small billing.

Ahh, that's it. The pump head on my cheapo is about half that of the pc pumps. Mine's just above 4ft, 100-150gph. It should be enough for just a cpu loop though. Pump head is what I was worried about. For anyone trying this, DO NOT buy the cheapest pump, most small fountain pumps have less than 3ft of head. Mine is the cheapest I'd go-http://www.lowes.com/pd_58695-60084...entURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=fountain+pump&facetInfo=

Something like this is what I'd recommend-http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1-92" pump head and still cheaper than pc pumps.

That Eheim looks impressive, I figured you were talking about high end pumps, I wonder what the MTBF on that is?

Great article btw, I think I'm ready to take the plunge! :)

That Eheim looks impressive, I figured you were talking about high end pumps, I wonder what the MTBF on that is?

MTBF on the ddc and d5 is 50000hrs, Eheim and Iwakis all have higher MTBFs than that...it's pretty impressive to say the least.

Great read..

I just build a new rig on air, but entertained building it as WC unit. This is exactly what I needed to get started into my research. I am only going to WC 2 @ EVGA GTX 570HD's. After seeing some images and reading I now have an idea of what to look for and start my list.

I will start my own thread once I get closer to the parts list. Questions and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks again for the Write-Up

Wow! very nice wright up. This is going to be my first time doing liquid cooling and guide explained all the question that I was having. Thanks a lot.

Thanks! Feel free to post up a thread if you have questions not answered in there, or if you just want to show your new loop. :)

Does any one know if the Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 360 rads are copper or if there another metal? i just ordered mine and am already at the point of no return. the block I got for my CPU is the HK supreme HF all copper block and i forgot to make sure the metals were the same.

sorry I.M.O.G probably should have but just though it would be such a short simple answer it would be easier. Thanks Hookie that's all i wanted to know.

Hokiealumnus could answer you in your own thread as well, and others would find the answer easier while searching.

No need to apologize though, just helps everyone if questions are organized by topic as often as possible. Glad you got what you needed.

I always do that's why I'm here! and have been for so long. Ill start my own thread because ill have pics to post being that this is my first WC build. Thanks again

This should be added here somewhere.

If you're going to watercool a SLi rig, and going to use EK blocks, if you need the 3-Slot separation, buy the triple card one and a blank bridge thingy.

If not, when you upgrade your rig to another motherboard with a different PCIe layout, you'll have a beautiful useless EK bridge and will have to buy another.

My two cents!

plumbers tape on the threaded parts...

Maybe one of the best once-overs I've read. Not too technical for an introduction, but with resources once your interest has been piqued. One thing, I didn't see any mention of plumbers tape, and thought it would be critical to ensure no leakage occurs. Is there any info on this?

Thanks for the kind words. You don't need plumbers' tape at all really. The vast majority of fittings you can buy have o-rings, which make plumbers' tape pointless. :thup:

Last edited:
My radiator is built with Brass body and tubes, louvered copper fins, my CPU block is a full nickel EK waterblock and my compression fittings are bitspower. The tube that I use is primochill black, my simple question is (since I read the guide again), Do I have to use any other liquid like antifreezer or similar?

Back