• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Project Log: Server and Gaming Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The bottom support beams were made from .5x.1-inch aluminum flat bar. I wasn't keen on having to hand drill and tap them, so instead, I routed grooves to accept nuts.

NutSlots1.jpg

NutSlots2.jpg

I like this fastening method because its wicked strong and offers just enough "play" for easy assembly.

AssembledNutSlots.jpg

The frame is bolted to the front inner sheet.

InnerFrontSheetFHCU.jpg

And then the entire subassembly is bolted to the front frame.

BeamsToFrontSheet.jpg

FrameFromBack.jpg

FrameFromFront.jpg

The sides of the HD cage consists of three pieces of .125-inch thick 1x1.5-inch u-channel held together with some threaded bolts. The cage will be bolted to the frame of the case via some .5-inch angle.

HDCageSides.jpg

The holes in the angle were used to guide the drill bit into the side pieces.

HDCageSidesDrillingCU.jpg

HDCageSides2.jpg

HDCageSidesCU1.jpg

Quarter inch slots were routed out of the u-channels to eventually accept .25-inch threaded rods.

HDCageMockup1.jpg

HDCageMockup3.jpg

HDCageMockup2.jpg

I must say, I like your new technique for attaching the frame. Its visually superior in my book, much cleaner looking.

The quality of the work has definately been taken to a new level with this build.

Santoprene rubber/plastic tubing was slipped over 1/4-inch threaded rods to form a "cage" to contain the HDs.

HDCageParts.jpg

Here's why the routed slots are superior to individual holes.

HDCageAssembly.jpg

HDCage.jpg

HDCageMockup.jpg

A last minute design change was to go with SATA backplanes. This required having to route-out 24 phalanx shaped areas for the LED and power cables to pass through.

BackplaneTemplate.jpg

[These photos are just quick mockups, the perforate aluminum will eventually get mounted to the bottom of the drive cage. ]

Backplanesheet1.jpg

Backplanesheet2.jpg

The backplanes rest on some soft rubber grommets and are attached via two #4 socket head cap screws.

The 1/16-inch perforated aluminum was a good choice because I didn't have to drill a boat load of holes.

BackplaneMockupCU2.jpg

BackplaneMockupCU1.jpg

I finished the bottom of the HD cage by adding four support beams made from 1x.5-inch u-channels.

HDCageBottom.jpg

HDCageBottomCU.jpg

To further dampen vibrations some 1x.25-inch soft foam will be stuck between the beams and the perforated aluminum.

HDCageBottomFoam.jpg

HDCageBottomWFoamAndBackplanes.jpg

Another requirement for this case is the ability to mount six SSD drives. The original plan was to mount them to the bottom of the case, but if there ever was a leak in the water cooling system, all of the SSDs would be toast. So instead, I came up with the idea to mount the drives to the underside of a motherboard tray.

SSDTray.jpg

Half-inch standoffs were screwed into the MB tray's existing PEM nuts.

MBSSDModStandoff.jpg

And onto that a .10-inch thick sheet of aluminum was bolted.

SSDTray.jpg

MBSSDModCU1.jpg

MBSSDModCU2.jpg

The front inner sheet was turned into Swiss cheese via 9 holes for the 120mm intake fans. The holes were cut with a 1/2-inch flush trimming router bit, guided by a template.

InnerFrontSheetwFanHoles.jpg

InnerFrontSheetwFanHolesCU.jpg

That takes some impressive precision getting such thin lines in between the fans by hand. Very well done.

i admire how clean your work is! you have more patience than anyone I know so Kudos to you!

i only wish i could manage to have my lines as straight and clean as yours (maybe one day lol).

Good luck and keep up the awesome work!

Cant wait for the end result, definitely subscribe worthy!*

Last edited:
Great work on this one Rich, I really like the concept....do you have any updates? :)

Back