• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card advice, $100 price point

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VinnyTAMU

What I have:
  • CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 905e 2.5 GHz
  • MEMORY : 4GB DDR3 1333
  • MOBO : Some AM3 Mobo
  • Display : 1080P capable TV

What I want to play:

• Borderlands GOTY
  • L4D Series
  • HL Series
  • Portal Series
  • Older Steam games

Video Card Ideas (don't have a preference on vender) :

• ATI Radeon HD 5770
  • ATI Radeon HD 5750
  • ATI Radeon HD 5670
  • nVidia GTS 450

Budget :
  • $100 +/- $10
  • New or Used

Advice?

Look through eVGA's B-Stock, they have a GTX460 for $99 with free shipping. It comes with the card only and 90 day warranty. That's probably the best you'll find for ~$100.

MattNo5ss,

Thanks for the advice. However I have decided to go with the XFX Radeon HD 5770. I forgot to mention that this was going into my HTPC and I would like to have the DisplayPort option that the 5770 gives me.

Thanks for the help.

That's not a bad card, but that GTX460 is much better for less money. You actually need a DisplyPort? I would think converting to HDMI would be better for an HTPC, which you can do with many output adapters.

Glad you found what you needed.

how about this. for your older games go get something like a Pentium 2 or Pentium 3 tualatin desktop. i am using my tualatin to play hl2deathmatch and with 512 of system memory and a geforce fx 5500 and it runs fine...just as long as valve dosent release another forking update.

i am using a geforce 8400 to play some games on lower settings and it runs fine. but if you want something else then heres a list i found for you. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0007320&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon HD 5000 series

Look for a 460, if you SLI them two of them, they beat out a GTX 580. They can be found for about $100 new, and easily under $100 on Ebay.

Back