• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro Change of Serial, to legal, but 2cpu version, does it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

At my office we mainly run Windows Xp Pro, but one of the machines is running a non legal serial. This is due to the fact that we use Xp pro, and its not possible to buy anymore. I found that i had a Win Xp Pro serial sitting on the side of an old 2xcpu pc i got, that no longer is running, and never will run again.

The thing is, the serial i want to use it on a Pentium 4 (yet another reason why we DONT want Win7) and the serial is for a dual CPU - Pentium (4) Xenon 2,4.

If and when i change the serial, will this serial work? Im 100% sure its not in use on another machine, so it should be legal.

It will work. When you install windows on the correct machine and it goes to activate, you might not be able to authenticate onine. That's not a big deal though, just call the phone number listed and make sure you change the product key to the one on the correct copy of XP. It'll work and it'll be legal. thing is, microsoft will not tell you that.
I own a computer shop and actually recieved a letter from MS once telling me that I was violating copyright laws by giving customers free copies of XP. This all led from a Dell 510 that had XP pro and a bad sata hard drive. customer lost their install CD's and since I had every single install CD for every model of Dell made to that point, I just used my disk and then authenticated with the customers correct product key. All worked out ok till the customer called microsoft over an office 2003 issue and she was told she'd have to fix her problem with her XP cd. Apparently, she told them that she didn't have them and got XP installed by my shop. etc. etc. Then the letter came. I was very nervous but called the number and within days recieved a call from a woman with a very narrow mind and absolutly zero common sense.

She told me that I was not allowed to install ANYTHING on the customers computer that they didn't physically bring into my shop. I tried to explain that the customer OWNED the license and she didn't budge. She made a threat, I called an attorney.

My attorney told me that I was not violating any laws but also mad inference that I should comply, at least in spirit with this WWOE, wicket witch of East. I made a small change to my terms of service on my service orders and never heard another thing from MS.

I miss the days when pubic domain was 10 years.

Chaiyz

It will work. When you install windows on the correct machine and it goes to activate, you might not be able to authenticate onine. That's not a big deal though, just call the phone number listed and make sure you change the product key to the one on the correct copy of XP. It'll work and it'll be legal. thing is, microsoft will not tell you that.
I own a computer shop and actually recieved a letter from MS once telling me that I was violating copyright laws by giving customers free copies of XP. This all led from a Dell 510 that had XP pro and a bad sata hard drive. customer lost their install CD's and since I had every single install CD for every model of Dell made to that point, I just used my disk and then authenticated with the customers correct product key. All worked out ok till the customer called microsoft over an office 2003 issue and she was told she'd have to fix her problem with her XP cd. Apparently, she told them that she didn't have them and got XP installed by my shop. etc. etc. Then the letter came. I was very nervous but called the number and within days recieved a call from a woman with a very narrow mind and absolutly zero common sense.

She told me that I was not allowed to install ANYTHING on the customers computer that they didn't physically bring into my shop. I tried to explain that the customer OWNED the license and she didn't budge. She made a threat, I called an attorney.

My attorney told me that I was not violating any laws but also mad inference that I should comply, at least in spirit with this WWOE, wicket witch of East. I made a small change to my terms of service on my service orders and never heard another thing from MS.

I miss the days when pubic domain was 10 years.

Chaiyz

The machine is NOT a new install. Its an install with a pirat or double key, and i want to change the serial to a free/legit and working serial, so we can update the machine, since it really needs it.

Then all you need to do is reactivate it. When activating you will be able to change the product key to a correct key. But I wouldn't do this personally, it doesn't take much time for a clean install and then your in the clear.

BTW, if you can't reactivate XP because it's already activated but with a pirated code, just download a XP activator and run it, just don't let it activate, it will deactivate the install and allow you to do the activation the correct way.

Chaiyz

Then all you need to do is reactivate it. When activating you will be able to change the product key to a correct key. But I wouldn't do this personally, it doesn't take much time for a clean install and then your in the clear.

BTW, if you can't reactivate XP because it's already activated but with a pirated code, just download a XP activator and run it, just don't let it activate, it will deactivate the install and allow you to do the activation the correct way.

Chaiyz

I would love to do a clean install in that pc, but the problem is all the licensed programs on there, that must not be lost.

You can activate windows after you activate it...windows will just assume that you have a new copy installed over the existing one.

Edit: OOPS! the part below belongs in another thread...my bad. End Edit:
After reading about activation in windows help, I discovered that the activation function will still work after the 30day activation period but not much else...so you should be able to re-activate it anyway..you just have to be patient and persistent, and if you have to call MS and you suspect you got the same dude, just hang up and call again immediately, chances are that he will still be trying to figure out if you are still on the line, and you will get another rep...hopefully with a better attitude.
Good Luck,
Doc

Back