• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Freezes While I'm Away - New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wineshop

Hi. I just built my first PC. I've had a blast and I have worn the search feature of this site out over the last month or so!

Now it's built and all seems to be rockin and rollin, except for one thing. When I'm away from the computer for a long time (say, 4 hours or so) I return to find it frozen. No mouse or keyboard control - nothing. I even notice that a USB audio device I have has no light indicator (which is always on to show power). It takes a reboot to regain control of everything. It never happens while I'm using the computer. Only when it's idle for some time.

Here are the specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
i7-2600K (not OC'd yet. Waiting on PC to become stable first)
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard
Mushkin blackline RAM (1600) - 8 BG
Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
MSI N450 GTS video card
Corsair CX600 Power Supply
Cooler Master Case with 5 case fans
3x 1 TB HD's (2 of them are SATA II and 1 is SATA III, all 7200 RPM)

A few other things:
I use the computer in a home recording studio so I have a SIIG FW card (TI chipset) and I use a Focusrire Saffire interface as well as a Line6 USB interface.

Things I have tried:
Swapped FW cards with another I have.
Removed audio interface
Tried an older 7300 LE video card.
Tried different mouse and KB

All attempts have failed.

Cooling at idle is around 30c . Even stressed it goes to about 55c.
I ran memtest86 all night with no errors.

That's it - not sure what to try from here. Driving me crazy! Could it be that a 600W PS is not enough? If so it would seem my problem would show up during heavy use. I mixed a project all day today in Sonar X1 with a ton of effects with no hiccups. It's only when it's left alone!!

Suggestions??

Thank y'all so much for the advice - and for all the help you have provided just via the forum search!!

Is the computer set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time?

Is the computer set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time?

No, I think I have all that turned off. I admit I'm just now jumping from XP, but I went into power settings and turned everything off. So - I think I have all that turned off.

Also - I should add I have updated all drivers (using a program called Driver Genius) and I have installed all Windows updates.

Thanks.

Back