• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Build Log: Water & Wood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That door/window look great...

I would replicate the "accident" on the three remaining short sides and make a feature out of it instead of making an entire new door... :D

Thanks again everyone. I'll be working on it full-steam-ahead again this Thursday :thup:

A couple of updates to report. First off. Based on the QDC failures I've run into, I removed them from my loop and I'm getting them all RMA'd from Koolance. But I don't think I'll be putting them back into the loop due to my theory on their failures.

Secondly, I've upgraded the PSU to a Corsair AX1200 and I'm planning to mod some BitFenix single sleeved extensions for it. I'll mod them from extensions into the actual modular plugs for the AX1200. I'll probably also cut them to custom length.

Miah I am glad you pointed this out, and the other threads I had been eyeballing those same connectors for a Chiller setup. I admit i dont speed much time reading water cooling threads.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be working on it full-steam-ahead again this Thursday :thup:

Hello Miah:

Like others, you've inspired me to get busy myself. In your pic below, you went parallel with the 580s and the CPU:

loopconfig7.jpg

I really liked your justifications, and I planned my system around that (and it is now completed).

319273_10150313483139078_548234077_7750739_659035_n.jpg

I see you recently tried series again, but went back to parallel. What were your results?

I calculated with my dual MCP35X pumps in series at 40% with the flow restrictions I have, and the GPUs in parallel with CPU, that I get a full on 1.4 GPM flow (divided by each WB though). The radiators in my setup (wired in parallel as well) get their required 0.7 GPM which is the sweet spot for them.

My GPU temps rise about 7C between idle and full stress test. I say that's pretty good flow over them. But interested in your results.

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth twice now just to ensure I wasn't off with my theory....I wasn't ;)
My temps were within about 1-2C with series having the slight advantage....which is about what I expected :thup:

Mine is setup in series right now, but I might leave it like this due to the removal of the QDCs from the system. Unless I decide to add them back in the whole purpose of the parallel setup is moot :(

edit - you're system looks very nice :D

I've gone back and forth twice now just to ensure I wasn't off with my theory....I wasn't ;)
My temps were within about 1-2C with series having the slight advantage....which is about what I expected :thup:

Mine is setup in series right now, but I might leave it like this due to the removal of the QDCs from the system. Unless I decide to add them back in the whole purpose of the parallel setup is moot :(

That's great to hear! As I don't have the ability to switch back and forth (I use this as my fulltime work machine). :)

Yeah, saw your other thread about the QDCs. I actually had the VL4 series as I wanted to install them so I can remove the mobo tray/cards all as one. But as you can see, I have no space for any of that stuff. So I returned them. Those VL4 QDCs are HUGE. And I am glad I didn't use them now, after seeing your issues with them.

edit - you're system looks very nice :D

Thanks man. Yours is really kick *** though. Those radiators really will keep things cool. My deltaT is pretty high, and really high compared with yours. :thup:

OK, I finally got a chance to work in a real wood shop with some proper equipment. This is the wood shop on Misawa AFB which is a two hour drive from my home.

3rddoor4.jpg

3rddoor3.jpg

3rddoor2.jpg

This was the inside of the 2nd door....just to see where I left off.
3rddoor1.jpg

I started by marking up the new plexi sheet. I wanted to redo the window because of the cracks I made sawing the first one with my jigsaw.
3rddoor5.jpg

Then I cut it down to size with a band saw.
3rddoor6.jpg

Then I cut the new door with a scroll saw.
3rddoor8.jpg

3rddoor7.jpg

Next I used the table router with a rabbit bit to create a channel to inset the plexi on the back side of the door.
3rddoor9.jpg

A pretty decent fit.
3rddoor10.jpg

Next I used a straight bit on the table router to create two channels flanking the window to inset the LEDs.
3rddoor11.jpg

Then I used a roundover bit on the front side of the door around the window.
3rddoor12.jpg

Then I very slowly and steadily used the straight bit to carve out the holes for the hinges.
3rddoor13.jpg

3rddoor14.jpg

Then I used some slim pieces to cover up the LEDs on the back and assist with securing the plexi.
3rddoor15.jpg

I missed a picture here after routing the outside of the door front with an old school bit for some character. I also missed a picture of the new front panel I made for the fan control knob and the power buttons. Then I hand sanded all the pieces. The angle cut pieces are for a facade I'm building for the fans...but that will be in a future update when I finished building it.
3rddoor16.jpg

First coat of lacquer.
3rddoor17.jpg

3rddoor18.jpg

Fitting the LEDs
3rddoor19.jpg

3rddoor20.jpg

3rddoor21.jpg

Put the hinges on.
3rddoor22.jpg

wire up and sleeve the LED wiring.
3rddoor23.jpg

Wire up the new front panel.
3rddoor24.jpg

Install everything....you'll notice two small holes above and below the fan control knob...ooops :(
3rddoor25.jpg

The new window is slightly smaller because I wanted to give the door a little more strength. Still looks good IMO :)
3rddoor26.jpg

3rddoor27.jpg

3rddoor28.jpg

What do you think?

That looks absolutely excellent miah...this build just keeps on impressing me more and more

Back