• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've become interested in trying to mine for Bitcoins and was wondering, before I spend hours reading through 115 pages of this thread, if;

1. Is there is a OCF pool?

2. Is there a list of hardware performance and software performance? I have my main PC of course that could be put to use to mine, but also various pieces of other hardware laying around I could put to use as well.

1-No OCF pool

2-Read this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117221.0

Then come back with more questions if need be. :)
Basics:

-You mine litecoins or some other good alt coin, then trade for bitcoins then trade for cash.
-You can also mine cpu coins like primecoin which is quite popular now, but you'd need to use this pool: www.ypool.net and use this miner: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1189851/jhPrimeminer-GMP-v4.zip

Create a -bat file like cgminer, and use this settings below:

jhPrimeminer.exe -o http://ypool.net:10034 -u username -p password

Seems to me that everything is catered to ATI/AMD vid cards. Does any of this work reasonably with nVidia cards? What about CPU? Does the CPU affect the speed at all?

the reason why is because amd cards have more stream processors than nvidias cards. nvidia cards have less cuda cores but they are faster than amds.

cpu mining isnt fast anymore so its not worth using for mining. you could mine for prime coin or yacoin with it, but still wont make much. it will take quite a while.

Seems to me that everything is catered to ATI/AMD vid cards. Does any of this work reasonably with nVidia cards? What about CPU? Does the CPU affect the speed at all?

Simple: forget about nvidia for mining.

Cpu doesn't affect mining speed, only ram size is important and CAN be a bottleneck to your miners. Use a min of 4gb but I'd reccomend 8 to 16gb (if reaper gpu miner is used for primecoin, you'll need more ram for good results)

So what are my options, if any?

I don't have any ATI/AMD cards, and if nVidia isn't viable, my last option is CPU.

There aren't any, it's AMD GPU or forget it currently.
If Primecoin ever gets an Nvidia GPU miner that might work.

You have a strong hexa core...use the jhminer I linked and mine at ypool.net

Use these settigs:

-t 6 -s 600000 -d 16

Should I not use the x64 version on the yPool website? What about the v5 linked in the forum thread you posted earlier?

Nope, v4 is faster...trust me, tested them all.

I got it running now with your recommended setup. All seems well and its churning along, though never seems to use more then 50% of total processor cycles. Does this have to do with HyperThreading? Nevermind, just found the answer myself. :rain:

Now I'm just wondering about the rest. Is there a "wallet" I need to setup like with Bitcoins? Would this be or have anything to do with the "Payment Address" in the Account Options setting in yPool?

One last question before I head to bed.

I use my 980x with HT on. Should I keep it at 6 threads, or increase the threads, for optimal performance?

I notice at 12 threads, things of course become sluggish with the PC (like web browsing) and of course the heat rises up (hit 87C a couple of times). With 6 threads, heat is only around 73C. 8 Threads, around 77-78C. If more then 6 threads wouldn't make a difference, then I'll keep it at 6 thread to minimize heat and power usage.

I would say yes, but still. If you're paying for the power, then you're losing money each month.*

* Unless the price goes up enough to allow you to break even.

If he mines the most profitable coins it's good, 330kh/s for scrypt would be fine.
330mh/s mining bitcoin is NOT a good idea.

These are decently cheap now: http://www.btcguild.com/index.php?page=store

Are those block erupters worth the investment? I've been seriously considering buying a couple 7950s to mine with. But I could get 8 of the block erupters for about the same price, would still have to get a powered hub.

I don't game very much, my 6950 flashed to 6970 has played all my games fine on a 1200p display. The 6950 hasn't been doing that well mining though, getting a little over 350kh on middlecoin.

One thing that has kept me from buying the 7950 is that the 9000 series may be coming out soon. I'd imagine it'd take a while for them to come down in price whenever they are released. Seems like it'd lower the resale of the 7950 once it is released though.

Are those block erupters worth the investment? I've been seriously considering buying a couple 7950s to mine with. But I could get 8 of the block erupters for about the same price, would still have to get a powered hub.

I don't game very much, my 6950 flashed to 6970 has played all my games fine on a 1200p display. The 6950 hasn't been doing that well mining though, getting a little over 350kh on middlecoin.

One thing that has kept me from buying the 7950 is that the 9000 series may be coming out soon. I'd imagine it'd take a while for them to come down in price whenever they are released. Seems like it'd lower the resale of the 7950 once it is released though.

The usb asics are only a good idea if you decide to mine and hold coins for long term, specially stuff like peercoin that has a built in interest system.
Bitcoin is too hard to mine atm, but if you pay too much for power gpus might not be a good idea.
Power costs?

I don't know if this was posted in this thread, but this is a very interesting article on a ASIC miner for Bitcoins.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/06/how-a-total-n00b-mined-700-in-bitcoins/

$274 for a 5GH/s miner, at way less wattage then any video card (not even counting the system wattage).

We've all seen it but that company is a borderline scam, they used the pre-order money to fund the production and r&d which to me is ridiculous.
Normally business take the risk and use loans and investors.

Not only that but they only delivered very few units that were pre-ordered a year ago. Skip BFL, they don't have retail units in stock, by the time you get one it might not be worth it anymore.
If you want lookup asicminer, maybe buy shares or pre-order a 10gh/s unit from them, those still have a chance for ROI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back