• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I don't currently pay for Elec, what would be the best choice for a video card right now?

What video card is currently has the best price vs. output?

5870 is the value leader, unless you can find a cheap 5970.

$0.30/kwh is a bad start for bitcoin mining, I doubt that'd be profitable.

$200 is too much IMO, the bitcoin folks must be buying again.
I paid $140 for mine.

I thought about tring out bit mining with my 7970 but I live in the state with the highest electricity costs in the nation (>0.30/kwh).

Probably not worth it eh?

You'd go backwards at the current exchange rate, with about a 1100 Mhz overclock you'll draw about 350 watts and hash about 620 MHashs, which will put you in the negative @ 0.30/Kwh, you will mine for no other reason than to exchange your money into bitcoins, it would actually be $1 cheaper for you to just buy the bitcoins lol.

Mining has come down to people who have invested in it, or have low energy costs, or both.

Speaking of mining rigs i just got my 3rd one built and mining today.

uhj9h.jpg
oSKzk.jpg

Since I don't currently pay for Elec, what would be the best choice for a video card right now?

What video card is currently has the best price vs. output?

Second this one...
I have a 5670 at my disposal, is it any good?
I'll be setting up my own 2600k rig -with a 6950 probably-
How is that you exchange your btc exactly?
Thx!

would a 2gb 6950 be profitable? not sure what my KW/h is i live close to detroit

Second this one...
I have a 5670 at my disposal, is it any good?
I'll be setting up my own 2600k rig -with a 6950 probably-
How is that you exchange your btc exactly?
Thx!
For just a dedicated miner the CPU plays a very minor role, i have a $40 AMD Sempron Single core hooked up to a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula with those video cards in the pic above.

would a 2gb 6950 be profitable? not sure what my KW/h is i live close to detroit
Detroit is probably 0.13-0.14 per Kwh.

Both of you can use this
http://bitcoinx.com/profit/

to find out if you'd make anything, there are also some good tips at the bottom to consider before you invest, summer is coming up and you will run your AC just about all day if you are hashing anywhere near 3G's.

This is a site compiled with what users have reported hashing and with which miner/flags
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

This is the live exchange rate
https://mtgox.com/

and this is the forums where most of the talk goes on about BTC
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php

Handed to you on a silver platter, some of the guys around here are helping people get set up on P2Pool, it's not -to- complicated if thats the route you want to go, if you can Overclock, you can probably figure it out on the forums or one of the guys here.

You'd go backwards at the current exchange rate, with about a 1100 Mhz overclock you'll draw about 350 watts and hash about 620 MHashs, which will put you in the negative @ 0.30/Kwh, you will mine for no other reason than to exchange your money into bitcoins, it would actually be $1 cheaper for you to just buy the bitcoins lol.

Mining has come down to people who have invested in it, or have low energy costs, or both.

Speaking of mining rigs i just got my 3rd one built and mining today.

uhj9h.jpg
oSKzk.jpg

Which cards are those?

Which cards are those?

They are 6870's

First rig has 2x6950's OC @ 940
Second rig has 3x6870's @ 1000mhz
Third has 3x6870's @ 1000mhz
and i have 2x5970's that i'm waiting to deploy soon as i get the cash together for another motherboard, i'd rather run the 6870's for now because it's been warm here the last 3 weeks, and the 5970's are much hotter than 3 6870's.

getting about 2800 MHashs at the moment without the 5970's, i was trying to break 3000 before difficulty went up but it didn't happen.

What is load wattage on a 7970? I would guess you would spend ~ $1.50-2.00 a day on electricity and get ~ .4-.5 bitcoin a day. At current price that is <$3.00 a day.

You should make between $1.50 and $1.00 a day. Not much. :(

That's a buck a day you didn't have before though, and if you're heating your house currently your heating bill will go down a bit, too.

+1. People have asked me why I mine if I'm not making $300 a month and I just tell them that as a 17 year old without a job, an extra $60 a month is nothing to scoff at. :thup:

tradehill is closing. Bitcoin price is going down. Might be a good time to buy.

They should be refunding to the payment wallet (or whatever your payout wallet is).

But now is definitely a good time to buy. :D

I think that it is a high risk deal, but the volatility is so great,. You could gain big if you time it right. Or you could lose out too, if some other unforseen thing happens, similar to tradehil or mtgox issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back