• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah, price drops just as I decide to get back into it and find a miner that actually works :(. With a bit of trickery and luck though I should be adding a 7950 at the least to my desktop and moving the 5850 to a dedicated miner in the coming weeks. Hopefully price goes back up by then.

Gah, price drops just as I decide to get back into it and find a miner that actually works :(. With a bit of trickery and luck though I should be adding a 7950 at the least to my desktop and moving the 5850 to a dedicated miner in the coming weeks. Hopefully price goes back up by then.

The price has been steadily increasing since the $1 or so drop roughly a week ago. It's in an upward trend right now.

The price has been steadily increasing since the $1 or so drop roughly a week ago. It's in an upward trend right now.

Ah, good to know. Would have been just my luck to finally take this seriously just as it was dying out :D

On a side note, dunno if this has been asked already, but anyone have any idea how to get CGMiner running in CPU mode? I have it running in GPU mode only, and I know GPUs are more efficient for this type of thing, just wanted to see how my i7 handles it. Tried the --enable-cpu flag that's listed in both the readme and the thread on their site, comes back "unrecognized option". Also doesn't seem to be listed when bringing up the --help menu. When using --disable-gpu, it says there's nothing that can be used for mining. Did they drop support for cpu mining or is there something I'm missing?

Oddd. You might want to try a second miner (possibly poclbm) for cpumining. I'm pretty sure it supports the cpu a bit better. I've never tried though.

A positive note for my mining, today I got my mining rig to recognize the cards I have in my 1x PCI-e slots! :) Now I just need more powa!!! I wish I had the money to buy a kilowatt or higher PSU. It would be so much easier than jumping one. :rolleyes:

Oddd. You might want to try a second miner (possibly poclbm) for cpumining. I'm pretty sure it supports the cpu a bit better. I've never tried though.

A positive note for my mining, today I got my mining rig to recognize the cards I have in my 1x PCI-e slots! :) Now I just need more powa!!! I wish I had the money to buy a kilowatt or higher PSU. It would be so much easier than jumping one. :rolleyes:

Well settled on the Ufasoft bitcoin miner since I didn't have any luck with poclbm. Seems to do even gpu mining a touch better than cgminer. Still use cgminer when I'm at my desktop though since I haven't found a way to tone down the priority of ufasofts gpu mining and I don't like lag when I'm simply browsing the web :D

Congrats on getting the other cards to work. One of these days I got to see if I have enough parts to throw together a second computer for this. Already have my old Q9550, motherboard, and some DDR2 memory. Planning on upgrading the PSU and getting a couple 7950s/7970s for my desktop, so I may end up throwing my current psu and 5850 onto that with an old hdd and a copy of linux. This gets addicting.

The most beautiful thing I've seen all day (other than my girlfriend). ;)

022712190003.jpg

4Cards.png

Don't judge the cardboard and shenanigans going on. I need to get a kilowatt psu so I can stop having to short these. >___> And I'm space limited so... :p

They are. I'm using a Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P motherboard which only has 2 16x pcie slots. I grabbed pair of 1x to 1x adapters with the backs were cut open so a 16x card can fit and then shorted a couple of pins so Windows would see them. After 3 days of work I finally got it all working. They are currently mining away. :)

1300mhash/sec isn't too shabby. Really, I just like big numbers. ;)

Lol, well you're putting about 4 times as much as my 5850 and 2600k combined. Makes sense.

Update: Just ordered a new PSU in an "for the love of all that is holy, what have I done?" moment thanks to the newegg leap year sale. Now that I got 3/4s of a mining computer together, just need a decent GPU. Have an 8800GT somewhere, but looking at the bitcoin.it wiki hardware comparison the 8800s don't do much better than my i7 alone. May have to wait on bringing my q9550 system online until something that's worth it comes along.

Update 2: Good: Finally finished my first bitcoin last night. Bad: Something in my desktop died :( Hoping it's the PSU (had it both GPU and CPU mining straight through the weekend, most strain I put on it in a while) since I haven't put the new one in yet.

Last edited:
This bitcoin thing is pretty interesting just started and using the GUIMINER. I hear the diablominer is faster but can't figure out how to get it or use it

There are a lot of variables that the speed depends on. The card series, clocks, driver, SDK, operating system, miner and flags. It all takes a little fine tuning to get just right.

Anyone able to help me set up diablominer for windows 7 I can't figure out how to launch the program and am feeling pretty dumb right now. GUIminer using -polcbm is giving me lag issues so would like to try diablominer

i have a question about my 6950
its only is getting about 192MH/s on cgminer
but when i look online it says a 6950 should get around 250-350MH/s
why am i getting 50-150 less MH/s?
is it because im running windows 7?

Driver version and SDK version make a big difference.
If you can find the 2.1 SDK that will help a lot.

so 2.1 is the best for mining?
+ will this affect any of my games?
i know my drivers for my card is 12.1
SDK i think is 2.6 but im downloading 2.5 i will look for 2.1

SDK 2.1 if the best for mining and I don't think it will effect your games its gonna take some experimenting to maximize you Mhash's.
This is my 6950 mining hope it helps some.
Driver 12.3
SDK 2.1

picture.php

when installing 12.3 drivers should i install AMD APP SDK runtime?
EDIT without installing it makes CGminer say "All devices disabled, Cannot mine!"

+ i have tryed 2.1 alot and it is not working
i have uninstalled both drivers and SDK then did a reinstall
still mining at 192 ( if i put my In to 9 i get 204)

double EDIT i most be missing some1 2.5 is doing the same 192-204mh/s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back