• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately those are 771 xeons not 1366 not sure how energy efficient they'll be over 1366's

771 sucks donkey balls...1366 onwards or go home.

He didn't say two 850's. ;) And "decent" is not how you should describe your psu.

Come on! Mining rig wise, decent is the name of the game. I'm talking XFX Core, CM Silent Pro, TX850, EVGA stuffs...usual suspects. Diablotek or Ultra is not decent lol

delete the scrypt################.bin files from cgminer directory.

Add
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
before the cgminer call.

This is getting me between 375 and 425

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp:/xxxx -u xxxx -p xxxx -d 1 --failover-only --shaders 2048 --thread-concurrency 8170 --intensity 13 -g 2 --worksize 256 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1100 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-threads 2

Try thread concurency 24000 and intensity 18.

I will have to try more tomorrow, im tired and getting a headache.

If anyone has anything to add, dont hold back!

EDIT

I coundlt quit...

I set the thread to 20992, -g to 1 and that got me up to aorund the 600 kh/s

Last edited:
I helped my best mate setup his 6870, and with very little tweaking, it does around 315kh/s. That is a watercooled card though, so Temps aren't an issue, although I think it is at stock clocks.

Cool! :cool:

But no water cooling for me, I'm quite comfortable pushing cards & cpu's to their thermal limits.

I've done so with all of my Nvidia cards, so I'd imagine I can do the same with Radeons?

Ok, so i actually sat down and got CGminer to work! But its getting horrible khash.

Any one able to help me understand the commands to get max outta my cards?

I want to run my second card at 100% to start with, and not use my first card at all!

Is this possible?

------------------

I got that part figured.. woohoo, now how to get the card to run more then 20kh/s :/

------------------

Got it up to 400kh/s but thats still 300 below where it should be.

Its a 7970Ghz, im running 13.10 drivers, and this is my command line setup atm.

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://xxxxxx -u xxxx -p xxxxxx -d 1 --failover-only --shaders 2048 --thread-concurrency 8192 --intensity 13 -g 2 --worksize 256 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1080 --gpu-memclock 1500

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp:/xxxx -u xxxx -p xxxx -d 1 --failover-only --shaders 0 --thread-concurrency 24000 --intensity 20 -g 1 --worksize 256 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1100 --gpu-memclock 1750

Try playing with intensity, from 18 to 20, see what's best.
Also, change the scrypt.bin file in your cgminer forlder for one of these (change thread concurrency accordingly):

https://litecointalk.org/index.php/topic,6058.0.html

One more thing, use older drivers and app sdk for mining if you want 700kh/s+ per card.

Cool! :cool:

But no water cooling for me, I'm quite comfortable pushing cards & cpu's to their thermal limits.

I've done so with all of my Nvidia cards, so I'd imagine I can do the same with Radeons?

He already had water on it, so it was just an added bonus for him, no damn noisy gpu fans. And yeah, the cards seem to do just fine when ya run them hot. Everyone else in the mining world does it!

He already had water on it, so it was just an added bonus for him, no damn noisy gpu fans. And yeah, the cards seem to do just fine when ya run them hot. Everyone else in the mining world does it!

Sweeeet! Haven't heard from the seller on Kijiji yet :(

I'm not sure if I should bid on the one from eBay or wait for the Kijiji seller...

EDIT: Stay away from XFX right? There are a few on eBay for $109...

Last edited:
well looks like my mining is done. As a test to see time involved and learn the ropes of moving coins around. i setup a BTC-e account to move my current earnings to. well I encrypted both wallets as suggested. I used the exact same password for both(yeah risky I know but I did it) and neither will recognize my pass-phrase. Kinda suxs as its about (current market) 60-70$ not as bad as if I had waited longer though lol. Still trying to see if maybe I mistyped it but I doubt I mistyped it twice let alone 4 times

OH S**T!!! That 6870 on ebay is an XFX!!!! (The one with the aftermarket cooler)

Ivanlabrie, you said XFX is garbage right? Should I stay away from this one?

OH S**T!!! That 6870 on ebay is an XFX!!!! (The one with the aftermarket cooler)

i think that is just the newer xfx cards, 7000 series and newer, as my buddys 6870 that gets the 300-315kh/s is an xfx card

those 7xxx series are the worst. Good card for the most part just subpar cooling even with 2 fans on the DD's

i think that is just the newer xfx cards, 7000 series and newer, as my buddys 6870 that gets the 300-315kh/s is an xfx card

Hmmm so this one would be okay?

I'm still torn, should I bid on that card or wait for the kijiji guy to respond to my email?

Auction ends tomorrow and I haven't hears from kijiji guy.....
Help! What do I do :p

Hmmm so this one would be okay?

I'm still torn, should I bid on that card or wait for the kijiji guy to respond to my email?

Auction ends tomorrow and I haven't hears from kijiji guy.....
Help! What do I do :p

Get it now! Ref xfx 6xxx or 5xxx is fine. 7xxx series SUCK.

Can't for the life of me get this 7950 to budge past 630 KH/s. Or the 7870 to get past 315KH/s. I was using cgminer 3.5.1. But now on 2.11.4. It increased my KH/s by about 5KH/s. So not much.

7950: 630KH/s, conf file
-I 20 (going down only decreases KH/s, in any config)
1100 core. Going higher causes instability, going lower reduces KH/s
1250 mem. Going higher or lower reduces KH/s
TC 24000. Going lower decreases KH/s
(I see people mentioning the '-g' argument, but I use a config file. What is '-g' in terms of the conf file?)

7870: 315KH/s
-I 12 (can get similar performance at 18, but no increase, 13-17, 19-20 decrease the KH/s)
1190 core going higher doesn't matter, going lower decreases KH/s
1500 mem, changing this doesn't really affect much.
TC 8192, at I12, going higher decreases KH/s, lower causes HW errors.

I'm at a loss here. I have no idea why I can't get either of these cards to budge off of their bottom of the barrel speeds. At least according to that litecoin wiki. I've tried every setup in that config and can't come close to their speeds they list.

Can't for the life of me get this 7950 to budge past 630 KH/s. Or the 7870 to get past 315KH/s. I was using cgminer 3.5.1. But now on 2.11.4. It increased my KH/s by about 5KH/s. So not much.

7950: 630KH/s, conf file
-I 20 (going down only decreases KH/s, in any config)
1100 core. Going higher causes instability, going lower reduces KH/s
1250 mem. Going higher or lower reduces KH/s
TC 24000. Going lower decreases KH/s
(I see people mentioning the '-g' argument, but I use a config file. What is '-g' in terms of the conf file?)

7870: 315KH/s
-I 12 (can get similar performance at 18, but no increase, 13-17, 19-20 decrease the KH/s)
1190 core going higher doesn't matter, going lower decreases KH/s
1500 mem, changing this doesn't really affect much.
TC 8192, at I12, going higher decreases KH/s, lower causes HW errors.

I'm at a loss here. I have no idea why I can't get either of these cards to budge off of their bottom of the barrel speeds. At least according to that litecoin wiki. I've tried every setup in that config and can't come close to their speeds they list.

630 is right for a 7950... mine doesn't do more than 625

The one 7850 is XFX, stay away from it correct?
The other is Gigabyte...

So my last noob question for the night is: go for the XFX 6870 W/ aftermarket cooler, or the Gigabyte 7850 linked above?

Thanks for putting up with me guys, I'll calm down once I find & buy a good mining card. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back