• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping good for me too. :p Like doubling in value (potential due to the reduction in availability). That would a $400+ profit for me (if they double).

I no has 7970. :( BUT that said, installing the new driver may prompt for a new OpenCL SDK, which is what affects performance more than the driver itself.

Bitcoin mining

Hi.
I've read some about it, but basically I'm wondering:
Is it worth it? And with my hardware.
If so, how would I get it all set up?

I have a 2600K and An MSI 7970 Lightning.

I read something about the paying being cut in half at the end of November?

Thanks

How much do you pay for your electricity?
That'll tell you whether it's worth it or not.

After a certain number of blocks being found, the reward gets cut in half.
If the bitcoin prices don't shoot up to double, GPU mining becomes unprofitable.

Also if price keeps going down, with difficulty going up, it will be unprofitable.

If gpu mining is profitable for you, I would not look at it as a long term thing. With asic and fpga stuff coming out, along with the block halving, it won't be profitable for long.

I estimate gpu miners with $0.05 per KWH will no longer be profitable around the end of the year. ASIC comes out around November, the block halves in November, but due to the cold weather in the U.S. around those times, gpu miners can still write off their power usage as "heating the house." However, that will only work for so long before the difficulty gets so high due to the ASICs.

you think it will be worth it to get a ASIC cheap version?
because i may may get one with the BTC i have but im still on the fence

My personal opinion is that only the very early recipients will ever pay their hardware off. With the cheap, widespread availability, the network hash rate will grow so fast that I doubt even the expensive rigs will pay themselves off. My stance is not to buy any.

I think that you have to think about what your share of the total mhash over the whole project would be. If your share of the total ghash goes up or down then your rewards would be effected in the same way. except divide by 2 because of the halving of the reward.

That's very true. Most people are looking at the ASICs and going "3.5 ghash is a lot for $150!" But in reality, if BFL sells 1,000 of those, then 3.5ghash will be approx 0.0000013% of the network hashrate. With the total daily coins to be mined at roughly 7200 (or 3600 once the half hits) there won't be too many coins to be had (that's less than 0.01 per day pre block halve, or less than 0.005 per day post block halve).

From what I understand, a major trading entity GLBSE closed down, and speculators are panic selling. The price always climbs back up. Especially since A LOT of people sold before the drop, and are buying at low prices now.

I don't trade online. With all the crap that has happened at the various exchanges, I keep my sales local or to well known online members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back