• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*Update* for those of you who own amd 5xxx cards, I just sold my 2 5870s for 525.00! Unload them sooner than later to the bitcoiners if you want some cash out of them! :)

Suckers....

Hehe, while that is quite a lot for a 5870, it's relative. If nothing else changes, and the person you sold them to are adding them to an already existing computer, those cards will pay for themselves in 14 days and then start making profit.

Of course, things will change. The difficulty will change. And the exchange rate will most likely change. But I bet the person who bought those cards does just fine, even paying such a large amount, and is soon making money off of his purchase.

I'm happy I was buying 5870s for less than $175. I guess I was ahead of the mad rush. :bday:

Yeah I was about to sell those cards 2 months ago at 180 a pop. Good thing I held on for a little while longer! I have 3 on ebay I am watching as market indicators. They all have multiple bids, and are at 300+ dollars. I will be buying and selling a couple more I think if the demand is still there! I'm quite happy with my 6970 though for gaming. :)

I feel bad for selling my 5970 for $580 on ebay a month ago. I could of either used it for mining or just sold it for over $900 :(

Man 580 bucks is still awesome! I have seen 2 go for 700 in the last week.. But not 900 yet..

Search completed listings on ebay. Oh well, I ended up getting $520 after fees, which is still a lot more than I bought it for and got 2 6950's for $400 (after I return one from ebay).

I'm mainly mad that I never found out about this earlier. I should of realized when I noticed the price increase from a month before. I would have never sold the 5970 in the first place. Now my 2 6950's are mining but it doesn't look too profitable.

Now my 2 6950's are mining but it doesn't look too profitable.

Shader unlocked 6950s? Those are great for mining. If you are only interested in converting Bitcoins to USD, they should easily net you a daily profit well above the energy costs to run them.

One's unlocked, the other isn't. Getting ~355 and ~325 Mhash's at 880mhz on the core. It just seems like I could of made so much more with the 5970 I had lol.

One's unlocked, the other isn't. Getting ~355 and ~325 Mhash's at 880mhz on the core. It just seems like I could of made so much more with the 5970 I had lol.

You'll make a good amount with that assuming prices stay as they are. The difficulty is going p sometime this week, but you will still profit by hundreds every month (and I mean 3-400) so long as prices dont completely tank. Not a bad deal for doing nothing.

I'm looking at jumping into this. I'll have a unlocked HD 6950 + 5870 grinding away at it. Hoping for a combined 860ish Mhash/s. Is there any good way to run it in Winders, or should I just use Ubuntu?

I had tried using guiminer.exe along with bitcoin.exe -server (this combo allows for solo mining).

I just set it all up to see what how my cards performed...

I tried the same thing recently. Couldn't get it to work. Did you put bitcoin.exe -f somewhere? If so, wehre?

I had tried using guiminer.exe along with bitcoin.exe -server (this combo allows for solo mining).

I just set it all up to see what how my cards performed...

I tried the same thing recently. Couldn't get it to work. Did you put bitcoin.exe -f somewhere? If so, wehre?

There are a few solo mining guides floating around the net.

Although, unless you have 5 or more Ghashs/s, you will probably want to mine with a pool. At this point, without that kind of power, it will take to so long to find a block solo that it simply isn't worth it. The difficulty will go up before you find a block and then it will be even harder to find a block. And so on.

Pooled mining is easier to set up anyway. I recommend the pheonix miner if you are using AMD GPUs.

Yes I agree. I was simply trying it out so that I had some #'s to use when selling the cards! :p I believe the one person I know with a substantial amount of coins is in a pool. He also has 3 5970s, 4 5850s, and now my 2 5870s running 24/7 though! :O

For Solo mining:

I installed bitcoin to its default location... Next you choose a username and password for yourself. You then edit a file named 'poclbn' and add your selected name and password. Fire up bitcoin.exe with the parameter -server, then fire up guiminer.exe and start mining!

Again I just set it up to test my cards... There are ways to make your cards run a lot more efficient, and yes pools are the way to go.

Just picked up a HD 5850, last card I'm buying for this. It was an open box, so if the market collapses I hopefully can sell it for what I paid for it. Really hoping this all pays off :p

yeah.. guiminer is easy to set up. and you can either solo mine, or easily pool mine

i've got the wrong brand of card.. nvidia 460.. only gets 50-60mhs.. So, pools are it for me, only gotten 2.5 coins in the last month.. which at current exchange (last night) was around 43 dollars... Wish I'd gone ATI.

When getting literally-free money, why not cash out when it's a guaranteed thing. If I $1k worth, I would easily cash out. Keeping that much virtual currency seems to just be asking for trouble.

If he cashed that amount out, the market would plunge....

If he cashed that amount out, the market would plunge....

$500k in a $2b a day market won't "Plunge" it.. it'll be a blip.. but less than the drop last week from a $25 high to around $14.. and looking at the daily spread 17-20 doesn't seem out of the question on a normal day..

it's a volatile market..

I believe it was less than 90 days ago they were around $6 each..

Also.. he could set up "Dark Pool" trades.. which are essentially off the books trades that don't appear on the open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back