• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GUIMiner says I'm getting about 340 Mhash/s with my unlocked 69(70) at 925MHz core. It seems a bit low for what it is.

There's a page at the bitcoin wiki that shows the mhash/s for each AMD card and what flags were used for each score.

Does anyone have thoughts on bitcoin as a currency? Will it work out in the longer term? Or do you earn it and cash out?

Does anyone have thoughts on bitcoin as a currency? Will it work out in the longer term? Or do you earn it and cash out?

It might catch on. I don't know any of the major retailers, or any well-known establishment using it.

Right now though it is at its early stages in life, so its only for quick return on investments until enough people have mined enough coins to not make it profitable anymore...

Sell the coins on tradehill, then cash out via Dwolla.
That's what I'm doing at least.

As a future currency... Maybe. If Chase or someone steps in and starts acting as a trusted third party to enable instant transactions (instead of having to wait 5-20 minutes), that would go a loooong way towards making it succeed.
As it stands, I don't see it becoming anything but a fringe currency.

Chase...trusted LOL

I believe there's a Howard Johnson in Florida that's accepting bitcoins as payment. A small smattering of other companies are beginning to see it is an alternative, but cashing out would probably be safest at this point.

Most people trust chase more than they trust a random person. Whether they should or not is another story.

Personally I think they should all trust me and send me all their money :D

I don't even know you and I already trust you more than Chase...or any other bank(er) for that matter.

PS. I'm not sending you all my money.

I just setup GUIMiner with -v -w128 flags and overclocked the 69(70) GPU core to 925MHz @ 1.2V with the CCC power control setting to +20% and I'm getting around 405Mhash/s. Can't complain about that.

this almost seems to good to be true. I have been reading on this for about an hour now and I understand the idea but not the how. If anyone has any info or a guide/website that they got started on let me know and I want to read up on this. It sounds like a good way to turn some money. :eh?:

this almost seems to good to be true. I have been reading on this for about an hour now and I understand the idea but not the how. If anyone has any info or a guide/website that they got started on let me know and I want to read up on this. It sounds like a good way to turn some money. :eh?:

Don't bother mining with an nvidia card - you're wasting your time. You need a high end 5 or 6 series AMD GPU to make it worthwhile, otherwise your electricity costs will exceed any possible gains you may get.

Go to https://deepbit.net/ then download "poclbm-GUI miner" from the deepbit site.

Then download the Bitcoin app from bitcoin.com. After you have installed Bitcoin then you should see your bitcoin address. Copy this address into your deepbit account and change the "minimum value for automatic payment" to 1.

Click this link https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison and look up your video card. Put the "flags" for your video card into GUIMiner. This step isn't essential, but you will get an increase in your mining rate if you do so. Start mining!

It really does work, bizarrely enough.
If you have a 5xxx or 6xxx GPU it is absolutely worth firing it up.
It appears to be worth buying 5xxx/6xxx gpus as well, but there's a nervous time between buying them and them being paid off where you can lose money if the whole bitcoin thing eats it.

I've been following the bitcoin thing for a while now. For some reason I just can't bring myself to doing it. I have 3 5870's running but I just for some reason have not done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back