How much should we charge for our first smart phone game?

I'm working on a game with an artist (as in, he's doing the sprites, UI, etc while I do the programing) and we intend to release it for iPhone and Windows Phone. I've never released a game before, but some research seems to suggest that $2.99 hits the sweet spot of high enough to not be garbage, and low enough that people won't have to think too heavily on the purchase decision. However, I'd like to see what other people think about this, possibly people who've actually released games in an app store before. Thoughts?
    Innocent and pure hearted evil

The following people don't suck:
    Kendan, nerdlogic, >HyperlogiK<, Flip-Mode, k3nshin, Frodo Baggins, NewbiePerson, 9mmCensor, Malpine Walis, Rumrunner, DuckDodgers, Silver, Zulu-1

I have not released apps in an app store before. That being said, if your game does not have a fan-base or a major new feature above other games then don't expect to charge more than your previously mentioned $2.99 and expect others to buy it. If your game is awesome and it gains a fan-base then I would think that you could charge significantly more (5.99-9.99) for the next release and still sell a significant amount of units.

Brian
    Yayer.

As DreamerBrian said, I have no experience releasing a smartphone game. But I do have experience being a smartphone user, and I'm just an average consumer. So take my feedback with a grain of salt.

I'd suggest actually starting at $0.99.

Looking at the app store right now (on an iPhone, at least), out of the top 25 paid apps, only 3 of them are more than $0.99. Apps from independent parties are a dime a dozen, and as an average consumer, I wouldn't pay more than just the $0.99 for a game I've never heard of, from someone I've never heard of. There are just too many free games out there to spend more than that $0.99, unless it's something that has something behind it. World of Goo, for example, I had no problem dropping the $2.99 for it. But that's already an established PC game.

It really is hard to say without knowing anything about your game, though. It depends on the type of game. Is it a game where you can just pick up and play for a few minutes at a time, like Angry Birds or Doodle Jump? Or is it something like an RPG with some actual content?

Again, I'm no means a market pro, or anything like that. Just input from your average consumer, I wouldn't pay $2.99 for a game that's unknown from an unknown maker, when the market is already saturated with thousands of free games, or ones for just $0.99.
    Gigabyte Sniper M3 - i7 2700K - Corsair H80
    Asus GTX780 DCII - Dell U2712HM & Dell U2212HM
    16GB G.Skill Sniper - 256GB Crucial M4 - 3TB Hitachi 7K3000
    Silverstone ST65F-G - Silverstone SG10
    Heatware

A free version and a paid version maybe?
    "There are two kinds of pain. The sort of pain that makes you strong,
    or useless pain. The sort of pain that's only suffering. I have no
    patience for useless things."

+1, if your game isnt known Id go w/ it being a free app to a certain extent with the option to buy. If you think its worthy, maybe free and $5 if thats what you want but the game better be worth it. Hell, it cost $5 for COD for my son just to put things in perspective.
    Asus P8P67
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.9ghz
    GSkill Ripjaws 8gb 1600mhz c8
    EVGA GTX780 ACX 1228//1650
    OCZ Agility 2 240gb, Corsair Force 3 180gb, (2)WD 1tb Black
    HAF 932w/ Corsair HX750
    Heat

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Prici.g depends on if its worth it or not. I suggest a free version and full version as well.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Thanks for the feedback! I'm seriously considering the free and paid versions now, and now that I think about it, Angry Birds did that as well.

As for the type of game, I wouldn't really call it anything remotely like an RPG. It does have a story behind it, but it's a bullet hell game (top scrolling shooter with way too much going on).

$0.99 is good. We'd like to make some money off of it, but that doesn't mean we think it has to cost a lot per user. I mentioned $2.99 because I thought people wouldn't take $0.99 apps seriously (as in, "Oh, yet another app for $0.99. Must be crap.").
    Innocent and pure hearted evil

The following people don't suck:
    Kendan, nerdlogic, >HyperlogiK<, Flip-Mode, k3nshin, Frodo Baggins, NewbiePerson, 9mmCensor, Malpine Walis, Rumrunner, DuckDodgers, Silver, Zulu-1

People will look at cost to product before looking at $.99 games as cheap. I know I do atleast. If I can get a great game for $.99, then why not buy it? IDC if its cheaper. Some games cost more and suck.
    Asus P8P67
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.9ghz
    GSkill Ripjaws 8gb 1600mhz c8
    EVGA GTX780 ACX 1228//1650
    OCZ Agility 2 240gb, Corsair Force 3 180gb, (2)WD 1tb Black
    HAF 932w/ Corsair HX750
    Heat

Quote Originally Posted by rebelwarlock View Post
    $0.99 is good. We'd like to make some money off of it, but that doesn't mean we think it has to cost a lot per user. I mentioned $2.99 because I thought people wouldn't take $0.99 apps seriously (as in, "Oh, yet another app for $0.99. Must be crap.").
    Making some money off your app is never a bad thing, or too much to ask. I don't think people have that mentality (Oh, yet another app for $0.99. Must be crap."), or at least all the people I know don't. Hell, most of the top downloaded and grossing games are $0.99. At the same time, I don't think people have the mentality of "Oh man, this game is $2.99. It MUST be good because it's not $0.99!".

Anyway, let me know when it comes out. I'll check it out
    Gigabyte Sniper M3 - i7 2700K - Corsair H80
    Asus GTX780 DCII - Dell U2712HM & Dell U2212HM
    16GB G.Skill Sniper - 256GB Crucial M4 - 3TB Hitachi 7K3000
    Silverstone ST65F-G - Silverstone SG10
    Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by rebelwarlock View Post
    I'm working on a game with an artist (as in, he's doing the sprites, UI, etc while I do the programing) and we intend to release it for iPhone and Windows Phone. I've never released a game before, but some research seems to suggest that $2.99 hits the sweet spot of high enough to not be garbage, and low enough that people won't have to think too heavily on the purchase decision. However, I'd like to see what other people think about this, possibly people who've actually released games in an app store before. Thoughts?
    i would definitely consider releasing on android market also it will be bigger than the itunes app store in a years time. and i would go with the 99 cent price tag.you would probably make more money from having higher sales than charging more and selling less=)
    CPU----Intel i7 3820 (@4.3)
    Cooler-Corsair H100 W/Spectre pro fans
    Case---TT Armor Revo
    Psu----Corsair AX1200
    Mobo---ASUS Sabertooth X79
    Ram----32 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    Sound--Creative Recon3D Fatal1ty
    Hdd----Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD + 8TB External
    Bluray-LG 3D 12x W/MDISC
    Video--Evga GTX 680 SC Signature
    Monitor-Samsung 46"3D LED-UN46C8000XF
    OS-----Windows 7 x64 Ult

Fronting as a Mod Member
    One thing...

Be prepared to wait.... and wait..... and then wait some more for the Apple App Store to approve your entry; if they do at all. There was this documentary a couple months ago on the new smartphone app industry and how people/companies were cashing in on it and the common denominator for the people/companies interviewed was that the approval system from the Apple app store was "random" at best. They even followed this one App from conception to submission at the App store and it took Apple almost three months to accept it into the network. It doesn't happen with all new apps/games being submitted, but it happens enough times to be noticed.
    Daily Driver: GA-890FXA-UD5 - Ph II X6 1090T - 16GB DDR3 1333MHz - MSI R9 280X Gaming Edition/HD 5670/HD6570 - Venomous X Black + G1238B12BBZP-00 - TX850V2 - CM 690 II Advanced
    Join the "Benching Team" - We have secret sauce! - OptyTrooper: GPUs are for burning not playing games anyway
    Kona on League of Legends: This game sits about as well with me as a gallon of prune juice does, and the results are just as nasty.
    I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova

I think I'd do a free version and a $1.99 version.
    If the 1.99 doesn't sell, drop it to .99, you can always drop a price (I think, I don't know for sure, might want to check app store policy on that one) but it causes annoyance when you raise it.

Free version is key.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

Overclockers Team Content Editor
    No Android love? Why not do a free with ads version. Seems to be the rage on android these days
    Build!.Borg!.Recruit!.Folding.for.Team.32!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R, E6300, 2x512MB Team Group DDR2 667, EVGA 7800GT Heat

Want to run the folding@home gpu client in linux?
    www.linuxfah.info

Your teacher is a dumbass. The equation is exact. ~Frodo Baggins
    Damn....It's 12:00 AM and I thought my 805 would be a magic pumkin and turn into a conroe.........boy was I fooled:) ~Stilletto
    This is what I get for not only being a newb, but also disregarding instructions! ~ShadowPho
    I hate women... but im not gay lol. ~MrCrowley
    Love can fade but knowledge stays forever (unless you develop alzheimers). ~Constantinos

Personally when it comes to games I look at only two prices...free and .99. I play on an iphone and have never seen a game worth more than that. I did make the mistake of paying for COD Zombies and have barely used it since because of the controls. To me iphones just don't have the ability to play games enough to pay more. I can't speak for other smart phones but if they use similar control setups then they will be just as bad imo. I would say stick with free or .99 then charge for extra material. Then you can build a customer base and a reputation then start charging more down the road if you wish. It would be better to make a little off of each sale then some of a couple expensive ones to me. The word of mouth and rank would be greater with cheaper.
    AMD Phenom 1055T @ 3.4
    ASUS M4A89TD Pro
    Mushkin Redline 996999 PC31600 7,8,7,24 1T
    MSI R290 @ 1000/1250
    Monsta 240, MCP 655, UT60 360, XSPC Rasa, ek R290X Acetel

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." - Thomas Jefferson

likely being part of your target market, I would not say a $2.99 game is better than a $.99 game just by looking at the price. I would assume it either has a lot more content than a normal game would, or to look/expect a free version somewhere. Word of mouth will sell a game very quickly.

A big thing I look for when looking at iPhone games is the screenshots, and description, if I have never heard of it... Often times try to locate a free version to "try" before I buy.. Make it useful, and make the screenshots show what the game is like. Show a menu, show an early level, show a later level, or "full speed" game. Depending on the product, a free version is an excellent way to get someone hooked to buy a full version (i.e. Field runners/Angry Birds/Cut The Rope).

Also consider iAd support. I don't know the details on the program, but it may provide income aswell.
    Retina Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, 512GB SSD, GT650m
    i7 5820K @ 3.6ghz, 16gb DDR4, 2x eVGA GTX 670, 850w HALE90, NZXT Switch 810, Water cooled.
    My Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by JonSimonzi View Post
    I'd suggest actually starting at $0.99.
    +1, depending on your dev costs that is.

At that price point people are much more likely to purchase it to simply try it out, simply due to the low barrier to entry. But as mentioned it may come off as low quality.

Another suggestion is possibly $1.99.
    i5 2500k @ 4.8 gHz. 1.3v..................Q9650 @ 4.0 gHz.
    Kingston Hyper 1600mHz 4gb..........XMS3 1600mHz 4gb
    Asus P8P67 Pro B3...........................790i Ultra FTW
    XFX 5970 BE + XFX 5850..................GTX 260 2xSLI
    CM Hyper 212/Thermalright HR-03...Scythe Mugen II
    CM Cosmos S Modified......................NZXT H2
    Custom Maple Gaming Case